displaying posts 1 to 18 of 18

Author Subject: Wierd Low speed Fan issue
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #1
Now i have read almost every thread that has the words "Fan, Bitron, issue, Problem, Overheating" etc... and they were all really helpful but i'd just like a little bit of clarification before i start parting with cash as my specific issue doesn't appear to have been covered.

So what happens.....

Basically the fans will only come on at low speed at 107c and will only cool back down 100ish

Both the fan units work... I pulled the brown sensor and both spin at low for a few seconds then go high speed, incidentally this brings the temp down to about 80c which is much more preferable.

I took the Bitron unit out and there was a corroded pin which i've cleaned; this didn't change anything.

So i'm presuming either my Brown sensor is faulty... my Bitron unit is or..... maybe the gauge is accutally 10c out or it's sensor is broken.

Has anybody had a similar issue to this?

is there a cheapo way for my to check the temperature of the coolant? i darent let it go into the red on the dial just encase as I blew a head gasket in Bristol last year and cant go through that all over again!

This site is my mechanical bible, Thank-you everyone!!
Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 13:56
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #2
Maybe someone knows resistance the sensor should be reading at certain temps then I could test it in pan of water on the stove.

If anyone has this info for the temp sensors on the 306 that would be very valuable info!! if I do end up buying a new sensor I'll do the test and post the results.

Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 14:10
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #3
I suspect your issue is a faulty Bitron unit. The sensor appears to be working, as when you disconnect it the fans fire up as they should. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 14:37
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #4
Cheers for the response Stan Smile

These units don't seem like your everyday consumable any idea on average price or the best place to get hold of a new unit?

Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 14:56
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
Pug really is the only place for a new unit...

As for price, not sure but I *think* they are around £70 ish. It might be worth seeing if a local member whose fan system is working properly would mind meeting up and lending you their unit to try before shelling out for a new one...Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 15:09
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I'm sure you are right and they are one of those :O prices from peugeot.
Probably better off getting a known working one if possible.

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 15:20
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #7
Oo Ouch they got themselves a bit of a monopoly going on there haven't they! tho i'm sure its not the worst part that is Peugeot only....guess it's time to trawl the 'breaking a six' threads for one that had working fans before it came off the road.

In the mean time i've bridged the air-cons brown plug and have a/c button control to limit my risks

Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 15:28
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #8
The problem is finding one which is a guaranteed working one, as you won't know until you fit it...that's why I suggested testing one from another car so you either confirm it as the problem or eliminate it. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 15:30
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #9
I know makes perfect sense.... just finding someone who is willing to take awkward to reach items off their car for my benefit at a convenient time could take a while... maybe Peugeot will let me test the part if i send in my missus with a low cut top LOL

Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 15:55
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I think there is also an aftermarket fan controller type thing you can get.
But obviously that will cost too Razz try what Stan says and if it fixes it you know where you are.
On a side note how easy was the bridging thing.
I need to do that to tbh.

Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 16:04
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #11
I don't want to sound like a right bodger but as knew that i'd be using the car in traffic this morning i just stuck a paper clip between pin points 1 & 3, seems to have worked though i will make a more permanent temporary fix when i get the chance.

The plug you are looking for is behind the drivers head lamp connected to the air con tubes

Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 16:10
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Cool.
I think im going to just do this permanently tbh
I guess the best way is two crimps and some speaker cable?

Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 16:39
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #13
doesnt have to be from a 6, any ac 306, even 405's and 406's use the same unit AFAIK

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 16:44
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #14
I would imagine if your not wanting to go back then cutting the plug off and permanently joining the wires would be the best way to go... make sure you note the wires before you cut Wink

Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 16:45
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #15
welshpug! wrote:
doesnt have to be from a 6, any ac 306, even 405's and 406's use the same unit AFAIK

Cheers that's good to know Smile more hope at least

Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 16:47
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #16
hismastersfinger11 wrote:
I would imagine if your not wanting to go back then cutting the plug off and permanently joining the wires would be the best way to go... make sure you note the wires before you cut Wink

You can do this, but beware...
The plug you are bridging is the air-con pressure switch. It detects if you have adequate pressure in the air-con system before engaging the compressor when you turn the AC on. Yes
If you have removed the AC then doing what you've done is perfectly fine, however if the AC system is still present then it now thinks there is adequate pressure in the system and switchs the AC and the cooling fans on...if the AC is empty of gas (which also lubricates the system) then damage will occur.
My advice - If you still have the AC system fitted and you want the bridge the switch for the fans, unplug the compressor. Thumbs up

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 17:11
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #17
Thank-you again Stan! it is out of gas so I will disconnect the compressor too is electrically disconnecting it enough ? will the aux belt still spin bits up and do the system harm?

Another Q to people viewing this thread, my neighbour has a HDI xsara estate that he said i could borrow the box from if i needed too seems the cars are quite similar i thought this might be an option though don't want to pull his car apart if it's a dead end route

Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 17:40
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #18
hismastersfinger11 wrote:
Thank-you again Stan! it is out of gas so I will disconnect the compressor too is electrically disconnecting it enough ? will the aux belt still spin bits up and do the system harm?

Disconnecting it electrically is enough mate, yes. Yes

The auxbelt spins the pulley all the time the engine is running, but it will only turn the compressor when the compressor's viscous clutch is engaged, and the signal to do this comes from the multiplug on the compressor itself. By unplugging it, you have stopped this part of the system operating and therefore no harm can be caused. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 30th Jul 2012 at 18:59