displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Changing rear discs and pads myself?
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I've never done any major work on any car I've owned, despite having a very technical mind, so is changing rear discs and pads doable by myself? I don't exactly have a socket set either so what sort of tools are needed? Will I need to bleed the brakes after wards?
Posted 21st Jul 2012 at 02:47
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Hi you will need a few spanners and a wind back tool. you wont need to bleed the brakes either. just make sure when you wind the calliper back you have got the brake fluid cap off on your m/c and to readjust your handbrake.

Posted 21st Jul 2012 at 06:10
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
you need a wheel brace and a screwdriver, sometimes a punch, no spanners.

not found a wind back tool yet that bloody works on these, just a large-ish screwdriver will do the trick to wind the piston back, I used to have a square section cheapy for this.

if the handbrake is well adjusted there no need to adjust it again usually, just unhook the cables from the lever on the caliper and pump the pedal a few times to adjust the pistons once new pads are in and re-fit cable.

can;t think why you need to take the cap off the MC there's a hole in it to let the air expand, but do make sure it doesn't over flow.

no socket set? GET ONE! halfords 150 piece on £99 special offer FTW.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Jul 2012 at 08:32
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Brakes can be a bit daunting. There is a good brake FAQ.
It is worth giving the brakes a service every time you change the pads and discs. It is not too difficult but attention to detail makes a difference.

I would use a carjack from the rear of the car under the lower damper bolt and place axle stands under both sills leaving the jack inplace for safety. Chock up the wheels and leave in gear. You can never be too careful when working under and around a car.

Take care removing the pads retaining clip - it pings out!
Millers Red Rubber grease (1000 degree boiling point) is excellent for greasing up all the rubber boot seals for the slide pins. Don't forget to grease the caliper piston seal (not sure if this is the right term).
A good quality Copper grease for a slither around the inside of the hub surface. Halfords copper grease is really poor quality.
You might need a star/torx? socket to remove the disc retaining screw/s
Halfords socket set for £99 is a great buy.
An extension bar makes wheel removal easy with less damage to wheel bolt threads.
If your hubs are old then some wire wool on the face cleans up the rust.
Likewise a thread cleaning tool also very useful.
Replace any broken or damaged rubber seals.
Latex gloves quite handy too Whistle

I would recommend bleeding the brake fluid which usually degrades after a couple of years. Halfords do a couple of good kits. Use a good quality brake fluid. Look for a high wet boiling point. Many cheap ones quote a dry boiling point. Take care undoing bleed nipples. They can snap.

If you got uprated brakes or hilly B roads I would recommend Castrol React SRF (You need to flush system with a cheaper Castrol React performance to flush out your old fluid before SRF).
Posted 22nd Jul 2012 at 10:23
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
+1 no wind back tool needed just use a big screwdriver.

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 22nd Jul 2012 at 14:59
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I had a wee look, the disc is truly knackered. Scored deeply and making a god awful racket.

I wanted to have a look at the pads but the retaining bar that holds the pads in place (the one with the spring clip that runs horizontally behind the pads) was seemingly welded in tight unlike the picture in the haynes manual which said it should just pull out. I've removed the clip, gave it a battering with a hammer but it's stuck fast. Is there something I'm missing?
Posted 10th Aug 2012 at 02:13
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Anyone help with the cross bar not coming out easily? i don't want to go throwing WD40 all over the place, especially near the brakes.
Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 00:14
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
hammering it out the right way? use a punch or a small chisel

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 00:26
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I'd assume it comes out towards the outside of the car? I tried using a punch and ended up bending the little hole for the spring clip but it still wouldn't move.
Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 00:34
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
welshpug! wrote:
you need a wheel brace and a screwdriver, sometimes a punch, no spanners.

not found a wind back tool yet that bloody works on these, just a large-ish screwdriver will do the trick to wind the piston back, I used to have a square section cheapy for this.

if the handbrake is well adjusted there no need to adjust it again usually, just unhook the cables from the lever on the caliper and pump the pedal a few times to adjust the pistons once new pads are in and re-fit cable.

can;t think why you need to take the cap off the MC there's a hole in it to let the air expand, but do make sure it doesn't over flow.

no socket set? GET ONE! halfords 150 piece on £99 special offer FTW.

This is the most thorough explanation i have ever seen from the mighty welsh pugo, keep it coming Big grin

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 01:07
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
Hehe cheers.

Hit it harder and buy a new fitting kit, they arenf expensive Smile

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 01:18
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I will still need to get the old one out to put the new one in!
Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 01:27
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #13
Man up Razz

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 01:38
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Will give it a good battering next time I get it up. OO-ER!
Posted 19th Aug 2012 at 01:41