displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: testing sensors whilst connected?
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #1
Pretty stupid question but I just wanted to make sure - been reading the sensor testing FAQ and to check most of them you need to access the terminals when the plug is still connected.

To do this is it just a case of prising away the rubber backing? For instance on the MAP sensor it all looks pretty tightly sealed up, bit worried about breaking something. Also would it be advisable to seal it back up with something after to keep moisture out?
Posted 27th Jun 2012 at 23:03
mpieczko

Regular

Post #2
I just made up 3 short lengths of wire with cylindrical terminals on one end and an open wire end with solder on it to make it like a spade terminal.

This allows you to still make the connection between two connectors but also access the individual wires while the engine is running or just while the ignition is on. You don't really want to start damaging insulation on parts of the loom.

I'll put up some pictures tomorrow if it will help you.
Posted 27th Jun 2012 at 23:16
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #3
mpieczko wrote:
You don't really want to start damaging insulation on parts of the loom.

I'll put up some pictures tomorrow if it will help you.

That's what I was thinking. If you wouldn't mind posting the photos that would be awesome cheers. Thumbs up
Posted 28th Jun 2012 at 12:44
mpieczko

Regular

Post #4
Standard spade type connectors bodged into cylindrical shape. These must be made quite small as you will end up shorting from one pin to the next if you make these too big and clumsy.

Wires stripped on the other end and soldered. Once soldered you can use pliers to flatten the end into a narrow spade like shape. Fits a treat into the female side of the wiring loom connectors all over the engine.

I hope that this helps a bit.
Posted 28th Jun 2012 at 22:54