displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Setting up/Changing springs.
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
First things first here is my setup -

306 Rallye
Rear
Standard torsion bar beam
Hybrid ARB
AVO dampers, currently set to lowest setting to reduce "bobbing" when driving on road.

Front
Powerflex Pbushes (supposedly increase castor)
Rose jointed drop links
Avo coilovers with 250lb 6" spring

Height
FR - 130
FL- 130
RR - 155
RL - 160
Equates to a 45mm Drop over standard suspension. And a rough rake angel of 30 Deg.

Right so on to the questions, having been underneath my car today whilst on a pit i couldnt help but notice that the 6 inch main springs (which unseat if jacked up) are near enough coilbound just sat there. Im therefore looking for some new springs to replace these as a recent drive up the peak district showed me they dont have a lot of travel for road usage. I'm thinking 300lb springs maybe? With a length of 8-9". I also want opinions on my ride height, i like clearance so don't want to go any lower but am wondering if i will be able to keep the correct rake angle with new springs?

Im generally just struggling to get my head around it all, ive made a few calculations based on the front of the car being 800lb and how much a spring will compress with different rates with the car sat still. I want a fast road/beginners track car setup for now.

Also to note i have a xsara beam that when funds allow will be rebuilt and the hybrid ARB added, so if i change the front spring rate i want it to work with the new rear stuff!

Currently it understeers quite badly as i found when following my friends diesel track car around donnington area at the weekend.

Cheers!

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 20th Jun 2012 at 20:48
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
going from 250 to 300 will make it understeer even more, if anything you want it softer, or stiffen the rear up much more.

saying that though that car did have AST's which ran 285lb 9" springs from memory, with some helpers, and didn't feel understeery till being pushed hard, and a slight lift would sort that.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Jun 2012 at 22:28
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Well im gonna have a refurbed a 21mm beam so want it to work in the future, as said though, Adam found it fine on 285s and the rear is nice and adjustable mid corner. I think im going to go for 300lb springs, 9 inches. Not sure if Avos are 1.9" or 2.25" though?

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 22nd Jun 2012 at 15:25
pinkfloyd

Senior User

Post #4
I think I've got some 8" 300lb springs in the garage, they came with my Avo's but I changed to 450lb for competition use.

Liverpool Motor Club Sprint champion 2017
Longton & District Motor Club Sprint champion 2017
Liverpool Motor Club Sprint champion 2016
Liverpool Motor Club Sprint champion 2015
Lancashire & Cheshire Speed Championship
Winner 2014
2nd 2013
Winner 2012
2nd 2011
Winner 2010
Winner 2009
Winner 2008
Winner 2007
2nd 2006.
Posted 29th Jun 2012 at 20:33
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
How much mate?

owain wrote:
Posted 2nd Jul 2012 at 09:33