displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Refurbing 4 pot calipers
205gti6_ro

Regular

Post #1
hello, i picked up a 205 at the weekend which had been laid up in a field for over 5 years how ever the reason why i wanted it was because it had 4 pot alcon's on it. i'm aware i'll need to find new pads and discs but i want to make sure that the calipers are fine before that.

pretty sure i'll need new bleed nipples, seals but was wondering wheres best to send the calipers to change that and make sure there all in goo working order?

any help would be much appreciated.

heres a pic of what they look like LOL

thanks
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 21:07
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Oh dearThumbs down

Bet they are well seized/corrodedYes

I have heard on the MLR Alcon's are a nightmare to get parts for/re-furbishedDunno

Not hard to strip calipers yourself TBHWink

But those could be knackered,depending on the level of corrosion on the pistons/in the boresSad

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 21:36
yippeekayay

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
what did you want them for, they were a forest brake option on group A 205 and 309s from peugeot sport special tuning's catalogue way back.... pretty useless on tarmac as I remember.

306 less for first time in nearly 7 years. Lets keep it that way... please refuse any offers i make to buy your 306 ( doctors letter supplied by request)

Marmite and cheese sandwiches anyone???

Burns and Mcrae will be forever missed.
x box "yippeekayaymofo"
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 21:39
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
yippeekayay wrote:
what did you want them for, they were a forest brake option on group A 205 and 309s from peugeot sport special tuning's catalogue way back.... pretty useless on tarmac as I remember.

How can they be useless on tarmac compared to any other caliper of similar dimensions? Erm?

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 21:47
yippeekayay

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
they were known to be not much any better than the standard brakes on tarmac but came into there own on the loose. So spending a substantial amount of money to use them on tarmac would not be the best idea imo, though with 205s closing in on historic they are obviously worth something to people who want the cars period. Are pretty rare these days.

306 less for first time in nearly 7 years. Lets keep it that way... please refuse any offers i make to buy your 306 ( doctors letter supplied by request)

x box "yippeekayaymofo"
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 21:53
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
they work fine on tar, guy that works for AB got 3rd in 2.0 class at a rally n belgium 2 weekends ago withhis 215 bhp 205 with those very calipers.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 22:36
yippeekayay

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
ab motorsport??? running these???

x box "yippeekayaymofo"
Posted 5th Jun 2012 at 22:43
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
As Coskev says if there's any pitting or corrosion inside the piston bores they're toast, and want binning for your own safety.

Other than that, the pistons will be siezed so you'll need to remove them from the car with the brake line still connected, then get someone to stamp on the pedal while you watch the pistons hopefully come out. Once each one's loose, put a g-clamp over it to stop it popping out while you do the same to the others.

I'd then find someone local who powder-coats calipers (and so knows which bits to mask up) and get them sandblasted and powder coated. Once that's done, I'd send them to Bigg Red, who are pretty good at refurbing brakes and have pretty much every seal kit you need, but best check with them first.

Just don't be tempted to go through all that if you can see the bores are damaged, you'll just end up with fluid p**sing all over the place, stripping the paint off the calipers and wheels and being a complete waste of money.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 07:26
205gti6_ro

Regular

Post #9
thanks for the advice guys. was looking to use them on tarmac. to be honest my gti6 brakes work fine, just need to upgrade pads but i thought if could refurb these they'd be better.

thanks again tho
Posted 9th Jun 2012 at 00:23