displaying posts 1 to 20 of 20

Author Subject: Boot Build - Part 1
bongo dts

Senior User

Post #1
Hi all,

Just a few quick pics to show what can be done during a bank holiday weekend when the weather is looking pretty gash!! I was going to write up a guide to show how it was done but I felt I would just be copying this pretty much as that is the guide I used so massive thanks goes out to n_olympios over on TalkAudio as their guide was a great help.

I'm planning on doing another for the otherside in due course for the amp to be housed away neatly so I may write one up after then if people really want it as they would like to try it too but I would strongly advise reading the guide linked above as that is all I used.

I had never done anything as big as this before, I've used fibreglass for a boost gauge and iPod holder in the past but that's all the experience I have as well as a GCSE in making things so it is something I would say is achievable for most given the time and patience as I have spent a good 2 days on making it!

Anyway, here is the build so far:

I still need to find somewhere to house the bass controller and get it OEM looking and then build another box for the amp and jobs a good 'un but that's enough for today! Beer & smoke O clock now and time to enjoy the rest of the bank holiday!

I know this goes completely against the Rallye 'ethic' which is why I haven't put it in for almost 3 years but I've decided I love my music more than a few extra KGs in the back for everyday driving. It slides in and out dead easy so if I ever were to do another trackday or similar it could be easily removed in 5-10 mins.

Matt
Posted 4th Jun 2012 at 19:45
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Now that looks really smart! Carpet looks exactly the same as the OE Peugeot stuff.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 4th Jun 2012 at 20:00
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Amp and subs in a rallye ? Tut tut

Not wanting to pi55 on your parade but you do know you can buy a sub box that fits just like that from the net ?
Yes
Posted 4th Jun 2012 at 20:12
bongo dts

Senior User

Post #4
Cheers Matt, even though it is an obvious modification I was trying to keep it as original looking as possible. I must admit though that the carpet match was pure luck as that was all the shop had but I was very pleased with the match Smile
Posted 4th Jun 2012 at 20:13
bongo dts

Senior User

Post #5
bigbadbowen wrote:
Amp and subs in a rallye ? Tut tut

Not wanting to pi55 on your parade but you do know you can buy a sub box that fits just like that from the net ?
Yes

haha I thought it may get that reaction but as above, it's a daily drive car 99% of the time and I like my music. Can't say I noticed the difference with the weight when going for a drive afterwards and it's all easily removable to return to standard if/when desired.

I'm sure you can buy them but it wouldn't be tailored in size to my sub for the right box volume and also to fit flush mounted and that's before the cost as this cost £50 tops, maybe even £40 to make myself.
Posted 4th Jun 2012 at 20:19
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Posted 4th Jun 2012 at 20:22
bongo dts

Senior User

Post #7
Looking good Si - you should get it in the black rallye too!! Whistle

Did you recarpet the floor to match the box there?
Posted 4th Jun 2012 at 20:24
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
mine has a fault floor where i have housed my amps, distribution blocks and all wiring

All South Wales Members Click Here
Team Supercharged Black RALLYE ™ (Click Here for Build Project)
MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 4th Jun 2012 at 20:29
bongo dts

Senior User

Post #9
Ahh I see. I had one in my old car but never bothered to make the box to go with it - might try and butcher it up to go with this as I still have it.
Posted 4th Jun 2012 at 20:38
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Would this full Genesis system be of interest to you? It is exceptional quality and cost me over 700 pounds.

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 6th Jun 2012 at 20:21
samslow

Regular

Post #11
nice sub boxes are these both custom built or can you buy a fitted one like these off the shelf?

Diablo Gti6 ph 2 98
Posted 1st Jul 2012 at 22:40
bongo dts

Senior User

Post #12
Thanks for the offer Manthos but I'm just sticking with whatever is in the doors already as they seem decent enough - just needed some bass in the car too. Sorry for the slow reply but missed your post until now.

Sam - mine was DIY and pretty sure Simon's was too. The reply from bigbadbowen suggests you can buy them online though I haven't looked myself and I'd imagine they are quite expensive. It wasn't that hard to DIY though, just time consuming, but it was quite cheap and I just followed the guide in the first post and bodged along as I needed too Smile
Posted 2nd Jul 2012 at 18:13
samslow

Regular

Post #13
bongo dts wrote:
Thanks for the offer Manthos but I'm just sticking with whatever is in the doors already as they seem decent enough - just needed some bass in the car too. Sorry for the slow reply but missed your post until now.

Sam - mine was DIY and pretty sure Simon's was too. The reply from bigbadbowen suggests you can buy them online though I haven't looked myself and I'd imagine they are quite expensive. It wasn't that hard to DIY though, just time consuming, but it was quite cheap and I just followed the guide in the first post and bodged along as I needed too Smile

nice work is that a 10" sub?
ive not really seen any online

Diablo Gti6 ph 2 98
Posted 4th Jul 2012 at 15:18
bongo dts

Senior User

Post #14
Cheers mate, yeah it's a 10" shallow mount sub but if I was buying again, I'd go for 8" to have less weight and more boot space there but I had all this gathering dust from my old car so though best to make use and build something new at the same time.

Wouldn't have a clue where to look for one though and they're gonna be top whack pre-fab. When I went to get some carpet for mine, a lad in front wanted a fibreglass box built and the local ICE shop on quoted him ~£250 just to build the box!
Posted 4th Jul 2012 at 17:51
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Thats the mistake i made i bought a Jl audio W6 which is very deep i had it space it out just to fit

MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 4th Jul 2012 at 20:19
parrotno1

Regular

Post #16
You wouldn't happen to have all the measurements handy would you?
Posted 15th Jun 2013 at 17:57
mellowr1

Senior User

Post #17
impressive buildThumbs up
I made a box for my Kenwood 12" sub to correct specs for internal volume,sounds good,i just hate the weight in the back,makes the car handle a tad worse. The box,sub & amps combined weight is 17kgUnsure
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 12:20
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Just get rid of the spare wheel and buy AA cover. No worries on the weight then Smile

Nothing to see here
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 20:21
woody.

Senior User

Post #19
Looks good, I like how the box flushes right near the back of the rear light. I hate it when I have to take my sub out, need the bass!

What's the part 2 then mate?
Posted 22nd Jun 2013 at 16:59
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
I might be breaking my car soon so full install will be up for sale

MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 22nd Jun 2013 at 18:54