displaying posts 101 to 112 of 112

Pages (5): first .. 3 4 [5]

Author Subject: OEM GTI6 calipers vs. 406 Brembo
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #101
demondriverdan wrote:
I've got Owain's old setup on my track car so can give some feedback next Tuesday once it's been out on track?

You'll need a couple of laps to get them nice and warm, then you should be making passengers soil themselves going into corners Yes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 21st Aug 2012 at 11:05
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #102
owain wrote:
demondriverdan wrote:
I've got Owain's old setup on my track car so can give some feedback next Tuesday once it's been out on track?

You'll need a couple of laps to get them nice and warm, then you should be making passengers soil themselves going into corners Yes

Not taking passengers, more weight :p Might be soiling myself for the first couple of laps anyway Big grin

I'll have the GoPro so will put up a video later

Rallye Race Car
Posted 21st Aug 2012 at 11:10
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #103
owain wrote:

What a thought, just before my dinner. LOL

I agree with Owain though, CL pads will destroy your wheels (and nearby paintwork) with the dust and are not really necessary for road use. Wink

I use DS2500's with a big brake setup and have no issues with these pads, on either long life or performance. Thumbs up

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 21st Aug 2012 at 20:04
FatBastard

Regular

Post #104
Update:
Bought a set of OEM pads. Most of the noise disappeared. Still got squeals when light braking to stop, but its rather low, for now.
It feels they have less bite, but i will test them after 300 miles or so.
Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 09:29
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #105
Yeah any decent brakes will squeak slightly when cold, it's what I call a "girly braking alarm". It's basically your car's way of saying you're braking too early and too soft, and need to man up Yes

Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 10:14
FatBastard

Regular

Post #106
I'll man up after they are bedded in. Smile
Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 10:21
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #107
Do they need bedding in? Tbh the bedding-in process is often over-exaggerated on road pads, all people actually mean is that they need time to fit to the exact shape of the discs.

Whenever I change mine I just drive up and down the dual-carriageway here with my foot on the brake gently, no way it'll take hundreds of miles before they're in.

Few sharp stops should do it Yes

Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 10:24
FatBastard

Regular

Post #108
But the Tarox Discs require bedding in, and according to the instruction - 400-500 miles. I did maybe 150 till now.
Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 10:26
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #109
I'd query that with them tbh - not saying that you're lying, but why would discs require bedding in? I'd be interested to hear what their thinking is.

Pads have to wear down to perfectly meet the disc, but even that is a tiny difference. I've used those Tarox discs myself and never bothered, they're just solid steel; I don't see how that would require bedding-in Dunno

Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 10:30
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #110
Another vote for not using CL pads on the road,if you like your wheels!!!!Big grin

Red Stuff in my standard gti6 calipers are very goodThumbs up

Noisy and not the best bite when cold,but when they get some heat in them they are spot onYes

Not much dust from them eitherWink

welshpug! wrote:
No, red are full race, yellow are rally, green fast road, rc6e are endurance pafs, £197, rc5 are about £140 iirc.

No

Yellow are higher temp pad than redThumbs up

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 10:32
FatBastard

Regular

Post #111
Maybe the terminology "Bedding in" i used is not accurate. It simply says in the introductions to go easy on the brakes for 400-500 miles.
Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 10:33
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #112
New disks need bedding in more than new pads do. Pads will bed in after a couple of long, moderate braking runs. 400-500 miles is probably an exaggerated distance to make sure that even the old codgers who don't go above 25 give the brakes plenty of chance to wear in before they go out on track... Dunno

The standard disks are strong enough to lock the wheels - it's the tyre that limits the maximum braking ability. You won't slow the car down quicker by having these, so they won't feel more powerful. You will notice that they don't fade as quick if you're out on a spirited drive.

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 14:43

Pages (5): first .. 3 4 [5]