displaying posts 1 to 18 of 18

Author Subject: how do 406 Coupe Leveling lights work?
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #1
I bought one cheap to see if the innards could be used inside a 306 light
namely for the auto leveling system so that the hid's I run could be more legal Blush
i thought i might find some sort of motor etc in there but just found that the clip for the motorized adjuster was just spring mounted I can't see that being able to determine the light level,..

on another note by far the hardest light i've ever opened and doubt one could ever be opened cleanly enough to black mask!
here's some pix!

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 29th May 2012 at 14:51
rikky 🦔

Post #2
i got mine open but i had to carefully cut a few 2-inch sections out of the light recess bits so you could get a stanley down to split them up. i had them on 80degree heat for an hour per light!

if i'd have know you were after some i could have given you one of my others - i black masked four of them but only two were the correct fitment and the other 2 are newer style 406 lights (the same but the multiplug is vertical, not horizontal, and different wiring slightly)

as for the adjustment they are just like the 306 light i think where you adjust them using a rotating wheel on the dash - but they benefit from having projector lenses for the dipped beam rather than a plain h7 poking into the lense

to make them 100% legal you'd have to get them to autolevel somehow, which i think would be possible using an aftermarket kit. but the benefit being the hid/xenons would reflect a crisp line of light rather than a dazzling scatter like the gti6 lights...

and you'd have to have headlight washers don't forget... which the 406 has as standard..

you could probably utilise something like a skoda or bmw auto leveling module which they have on the axles. or maybe even an off the shelf one for some newer pug

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 29th May 2012 at 14:55
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #3
I only paid about £8.00 for the light and £5 to get it here Smile
i don't think I'd fancy trying to mount that projector inside a 306 Light though! LOL
misaligned it and you are going to blind someone!
yeah i cut into the lip to give myself enough leverage to try pry the lens out but
the lip was giving out before the lens would shift so had to dig behind the lens and pry it out that way!
I hoped there would have something in it I could use!

I'll look into a kit if there is one?
then worry about the washers LOL

Posted 29th May 2012 at 15:08
rikky 🦔

Post #4
it'll never be 'legal' anyway as the unit itself has to have european approval as a whole but if you mean to make it more standard looking rather than the cancerous dazzle light HID's then yeah it should be better. i'm going to buy a 4500k kit in h7 for my 406 and just chuck it in and see how i get on

then again just found this:

quote:
There is a lot of misinformation regarding the legality of HID systems fitted to cars without headlamp power wash and rear axle self levelling these are only an E.U. legal requirement on Xenon systems fitted to NEW cars AT THE FACTORY PRODUCTION STAGE .

HID systems fitted as aftermarket accessory DO NOT REQUIRE the car to have power wash or self levelling; even the DOT have been known to get this wrong sometimes.

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 29th May 2012 at 15:10
c_j_m

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Hidplanet will be a lot of use to you.
There is a whole section on hid projector retrofiting
Posted 29th May 2012 at 15:11
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #6
sounds like a plan get pix up of the masks Cool the coupe boys may go nuts for them! Smile

c_j_m wrote:

Cheers i'll look into that!

Posted 29th May 2012 at 15:13
c_j_m

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Also if your planning on hid's get some proper xenon projectors rather than the halogen 406 ones and do a proper job of it.
Posted 29th May 2012 at 15:30
rikky 🦔

Post #8
how would you implement proper projectors in place of the halogen ones though? you'd have to rebuild the full light internal wouldn't you? or could you just buy the projector at the same 406 diameter and replace it?

actually looking at the photos above i bet the oem projector will just remove and you could bung another in there like for like

looking at HID planet's shop but can't really see what differences their bulbs/ballasts are to the normal chinese ones you get which always fail / flicker anyway Unsure

Posted 29th May 2012 at 15:43
c_j_m

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I'm fitting xenon projectors in mine.
Going to be using the oe bulbs and ballests so no quality issues regarding cheap parts.
For bulbs and ballests I recomend using the retrofit source, but as there in the us postage can get expencive.
Posted 29th May 2012 at 21:51
rikky 🦔

Post #10
what car? a 306? or 406?

Posted 29th May 2012 at 22:02
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #11
gnrlee wrote:
sounds like a plan get pix up of the masks Cool the coupe boys may go nuts for them! Smile

c_j_m wrote:

make me a set of carbon fibre masked coupe lights
Posted 29th May 2012 at 22:30
c_j_m

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
306 ph1, might fo the ph3 also if I can get some small enough projectors.
Posted 29th May 2012 at 22:49
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #13
mr swampy s16 wrote:
gnrlee wrote:

c_j_m wrote:

make me a set of carbon fibre masked coupe lights

If i manage to pull off the mounting of the Projector beam you can bet they'll be carbon masks too LOL
but to mount the 406 coupe projectors your going to have to cut a whack off hole in the light reflector and then somehow mount it from the back on custom mounts Hmm
the lights can be adjusted up and down it's just making sure you don't mount them wonky that would just look mega s**te!

i'll look more into it when I have time!

Posted 29th May 2012 at 22:52
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #14
No I want carbon masks ins 406 coupe light housing as that my daily for now
Posted 29th May 2012 at 23:18
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #15
No I want carbon masks ins 406 coupe light housing as that my daily for now
Posted 30th May 2012 at 07:02
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #16
LOL I'd give it a go if the price was right! Razz

Posted 30th May 2012 at 10:01
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #17
Let's see what happens Friday!!

If I get the job offer from Mercedes then the car will be coming off the road as I can walk to work !!!
Posted 30th May 2012 at 20:58
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #18
mr swampy s16 wrote:
Let's see what happens Friday!!

If I get the job offer from Mercedes then the car will be coming off the road as I can walk to work !!!

Good Luck! Thumbs up

Posted 31st May 2012 at 00:09