elpatron

Junior User

Post #77
Anything new about those braces?
Posted 31st May 2013 at 08:11
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #78
Pointless having shop bought bolt in ones compared to weld in jobbies, the difference is night and day for mine.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 31st May 2013 at 10:25
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #79
only if you compare something crap like an E-tech, a decent bolt in will be as good as a welded brace.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st May 2013 at 11:16
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #80
Not for me, iv used several types, cheap and expensive and would now not go back to bolt in type for a fast race type car. Only a complete weld in type would keep it completely stiff with zero movement.

However I would use a bolt in type just for a standard type car or everyday car as its better then nothing.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 31st May 2013 at 12:01
rikky 🦔

Post #81
i need a strut brace on my hdi. the boost is tearing the car in half

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 31st May 2013 at 12:06
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #82
Oh god, Surgie's words of wisdom again.

it's more than possible to make a bolt in brace stiffer than a weld in and vice versa, depends entirely on the design and supporting mods to the car.
Hopefully will be checking the final version on steve's car when I get back from holiday.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 31st May 2013 at 12:15
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #83
I found that the upper brace didn't make anyway near as much difference as the lower did to the feel of the car in corners. Is that the general consensus ?

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 31st May 2013 at 12:17
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #84
Yes, the upper will make less differnce to the handling than the lower. It should give a reduction NVH as well however.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 31st May 2013 at 12:26
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #85
I can't remember what the git6 subframe looks like, but there is a strengthened subframe used on many Turbo diesels from the factory.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st May 2013 at 12:36
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #86
Oh god you're putting peoples experience's down again, nothing changes. If you mean me then wisdom has nothing to do with it, it is my experience.

Any chassis flex effects handling, lower or upper, have you actually compared both bought bolt on type to weld in type on same car ?

I have and the difference I have had with them is so much better, the one you have made may make a better difference but I have not tried it, only tried what I have mentioned.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 31st May 2013 at 13:10
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #87
beez_neez_gt wrote:
the one you have made may make a better difference but I have not tried it

so how can you comment?

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st May 2013 at 13:23
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #88
How can anyone comment on how it made such a difference on my car for me when they have most likely not compared one same car with the two different types ? Its still a bolt in type relying on two bolts to stop it sliding a little bit. Some have the ends around the circular strut top too which may help stop any movement. I guess its a bit like spot welded panels compared to stitch welded panels which rally cars use generally.

I'm talking about strut braces in general, welded up sub frames also make a big difference too for me. It is all far too technical in general to really say it makes a really big difference during driving but for me it feels a lot better. Iv used two types of bolt on ones, one with a screw nut type one straight through type and after a while the nut had come a bit looser on mine.

The only reason I went for a weld in brace in the first place because of the advice Miles said on whatever forum it was about them years ago and i'm very glad I now have one fitted. The one on here looks really good though.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 31st May 2013 at 13:41
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #89
beez_neez_gt wrote:
Oh god you're putting peoples experience's down again, nothing changes. If you mean me then wisdom has nothing to do with it, it is my experience.

Any chassis flex effects handling, lower or upper, have you actually compared both bought bolt on type to weld in type on same car ?

I have and the difference I have had with them is so much better, the one you have made may make a better difference but I have not tried it, only tried what I have mentioned.

How did you carry out this comparison, just out of curiosity? Because if you're just referring to how it "feels" from the driver's seat, then you're only offering a single subjective opinion which doesn't really carry any significance. Alternatively if you've actually had the car on a flat bed, applied loads to each corner and measured the deflection separately for standard, bolt-on and welded strut braces, then that's a different story.

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 31st May 2013 at 19:13
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #90
I had bolt on one cheap which was crap still had flex then used a better one for a year of driving before fitting weld in one and it felt improved, stiffer during cornering etc and using same front suspension as before.

I know which is stiffer and it ant an old car thats been spot welded its the car thats been seam stich welded.

They maybe very small differences but for me it was well worth doing and when i build a track car it will have one fitted but inc a triangle towards bulkhead if possible.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 31st May 2013 at 19:40
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #91
If you think about it, whether it's bolted on or welded on shouldn't make much of a difference purely because of the mechanics involved. Unless a bolt on one is loose and slipping around on it's contact face, it ought to be just as stiff/secure as a welded in one. The difference would be down to the design, whereby a welded one might benefit from not being limited to having to attach in a specific place.

I put a bolt on £20 "Raceland" eBay jobby on my old XS and though I didn't really notice any handling changes, a few squeaks and rattles in the dashboard vanished. LOL

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 31st May 2013 at 22:17
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #92
Pretty much, I don't know where people get this conception of a bolt being some sort of pin that everything rotates around, a bolt is just a very simple/strong clamp. Ergo, if it's attached by the two bolts at the extremes like mine are, then there's not enough leverage to make it slip around a bolt and it just acts as a single structure. It's kinda the whole point of a bolt.

Email me!
Posted 1st Jun 2013 at 17:13
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #93
Epic thread bump for 2014!

How are these coming along Phillip? Whistle ;-)

Just Drive It
Posted 3rd Jan 2014 at 11:15
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #94
I'd also be interested in one of these if the price is reasonable and they will fit a ph.1?

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 5th Jul 2014 at 16:40
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #95
Aye since ive got a set of wavy discs how about a set of braces

Posted 5th Jul 2014 at 17:08
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #96
Aye, they kinda got put on a back burner because of other problems and trying to sort the bloody buggy out Big grin

Email me!
Posted 5th Jul 2014 at 20:35
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #97
Shame, they look really good.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 5th Jul 2014 at 21:22
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #98
I've had all types of strut braces upper and lower and to be honest they do feck all it's all in your head !
Posted 5th Jul 2014 at 22:01
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #99
I disagree. They feel sharper on a really heavy turn in. My lower brace seemed to make more of a difference though.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 6th Jul 2014 at 04:02
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #100
The lower brace has made a nice difference. That one will have rusted away by the time phillip makes the uppers though....

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 3rd Aug 2014 at 20:53

Pages (5): first .. 3 [4] 5