displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: Another vibration thread - solved
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Ive been getting some vibrations inbetween 65 - 80mph which seemed like unbalanced wheels and which continued as my speed increased although felt much finer with increased speed and still noticable through the steering wheel and floor pan. I thought it was my usual troublesome s**tty cyclones that were out of balance again. Anyway I finally got round to putting on a set of Pro race 1.2's yesterday with new tires all balanced and the problem is worse Unsure

Ive also been noticing a bit of a click/clunk at full lock whilst pulling away or reversing for a while now (although not all the time and only one click not repetitively) and stopped off earlier on the way home in a car park to try and instigate the noise. I was on a slope and if I applied full right lock and pulled away it was fine but if i let gravity take over and stop the car and then roll backwards it would make a click i could both hear and feel in the footwell. Not only that I had a punt down the dual carriage way and it seems like im getting a bit more vibration when im accelerating from 70mph upwards although doing it doesnt seem to be as severe each time i try it. Weird.

Now ive had recon driveshafts on the car which have done 30k now but all these symptoms (to me) are saying they are knackered?Dunno

Whats your thoughts?

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 9th May 2012 at 21:04
judge dead

Regular

Post #2
seems like driveshaft or possibly a dodgey ball join/tie rod end as another suggestion to check altho i doubt it. jack both front wheels up and get someone to drive it and turn lock to lock and see if you can hear/see fault.
Posted 9th May 2012 at 21:11
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
judge dead wrote:
seems like driveshaft or possibly a dodgey ball join/tie rod end as another suggestion to check altho i doubt it. jack both front wheels up and get someone to drive it and turn lock to lock and see if you can hear/see fault.

Tie rods have been done last month. TRE's not too long ago and p bushes and front wishbone bushes are all fine. I was thinking ball joints because its felt a little vague at the front end recently but would they really cause that fine vibrations at sort of 90mph plusDunno

Posted 9th May 2012 at 21:18
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
The ball joints are from Motor Parts Direct made by First Line. Went on early last year and would have seen about 8k worth of abuse so far. The quality of them is rubbish I wont be using them again but do you think if these are fubered they would cause a vibration at speed? Would certainly explain the vague steering feel and wandering on bumpy roads.

Posted 9th May 2012 at 22:07
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
Your balljoints won't be helping the situation that's for sure.

However, I believe your problem could be the start of a CV joint on the driveshaft giving up the ghost.
Does your gearstick wobble at all on acceleration? Unsure

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 9th May 2012 at 22:50
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Your balljoints won't be helping the situation that's for sure.

Agreed, those First Line items are awful. They really dont last, I remember saying to myself last year when I put a another First Line offside one on 'never again' and its been 8k since at least so i think they will be my first job. Only reason I used them is because all the other motor factors are some distance away. Just seen ECP have finally opened up a new branch near me nowSmile

stan_306gti6 wrote:
However, I believe your problem could be the start of a CV joint on the driveshaft giving up the ghost. Does your gearstick wobble at all on acceleration? Unsure

Nope - when I pull away theres no vibration. I dont get any vibration till I hit motorway speeds. Just thinking when I floored it earlier on an upward slope to a dual carriage way, it was the only time it felt half decent. Hows my math? Upward slope and hard acceleration - weight of car sitting back, acceleration sitting weight back even further ...... taking all the stress off the ball jointsHmm maybe the 2 kilos of extra weight in the cyclone was damping down the vibrations somewhat and now ive put lighter wheels on its pronounced the effect.

Come to think about it the only time i really get a click/clunk is when I pull of my drive down a steep sharp slope onto the road with full lock on. Gotta be those balljointsUnsure

Posted 9th May 2012 at 23:17
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Top mount bearings?

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 9th May 2012 at 23:54
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
scotzman wrote:
Top mount bearings?

These were replaced along with the mounts for genuine replacements in 2009 and have done around 28k miles so I dont think it would be those.

Posted 10th May 2012 at 00:05
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #9
darkgti6 wrote:
Nope - when I pull away theres no vibration. I dont get any vibration till I hit motorway speeds. Just thinking when I floored it earlier on an upward slope to a dual carriage way, it was the only time it felt half decent. Hows my math? Upward slope and hard acceleration - weight of car sitting back, acceleration sitting weight back even further ...... taking all the stress off the ball jointsHmm maybe the 2 kilos of extra weight in the cyclone was damping down the vibrations somewhat and now ive put lighter wheels on its pronounced the effect.

Come to think about it the only time i really get a click/clunk is when I pull of my drive down a steep sharp slope onto the road with full lock on. Gotta be those balljointsUnsure

Based on that diagnosis, I would be inclined to agree with you. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th May 2012 at 07:11
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #10

I have exactly the same issue

I'll put up with it for now though, as within the next couple of weeks I'll be fitting roller bearing wishbones with new genuine part ball joints

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 10th May 2012 at 08:08
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Could be driveshafts i'd say. Or a knacked/ovaled hub maybe?

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 10th May 2012 at 12:50
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #12
eliotrw wrote:

I would expect excessive gearstick wobble if that were the case though...Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th May 2012 at 15:43
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Yeah no vibrations at all through the gearstick. Ive inspected the hubs for ovalling the last time I did the ball joints and they seemed fine although it was only a primitive visual inspection. I shall get my digital vernier on it this time round and measure them to be sure.

Getting some new balljoints tomorrow so I will fit them shortly to see if that sorts it. God ive paid for tracking so many times in the past year its unreal. I think 3 times already this yearRoll eyes

Posted 10th May 2012 at 21:58
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #14
The slow manouvering "clunk" is lending me towards the balljoints. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th May 2012 at 10:23
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
stan_306gti6 wrote:
eliotrw wrote:

I would expect excessive gearstick wobble if that were the case though...Yes

Actually thats right yeah. I which case theres only really the hub to balljoint bit being ovalled or the balljoint just knackered imo...

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 11th May 2012 at 16:10
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Update on this - I replaced the ball joints. Both were in a dire state which is quite lame considering the relatively low mileage. The steering actually feels great again although i need my tracking done now.... againThumbs down

but unfortunetly the vibrations remain at motorway speeds and i can still instigate the exact same noise on the slope in the car park down the road. Aiming the car up the slope full lock right, pull away slowly and letting gravity take over as the car begins to roll backward after about a quarter revolution on a wheel i get a clunk and a smaller lighter sounding clunk (not really a click).

The vibrations at motorway speeds really do feel like out of balance wheels though its weird.Unsure

Anyways im gonna get the tracking done tomorrow then swap the front and back wheels over to see if that makes it feel any different. The backs feel fine. I spose the numpty tyre fitter could have made a mistake with them.

Posted 11th May 2012 at 20:14
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #17
The 'clunk' on full lock at minimal speeds definitely points to a CV joint. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 12th May 2012 at 01:29
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Finally solved this problem and turns out it was my front wishbone bushesRoll eyes

They were the black compound powerflex items. There was no major failure but what had happened was as I moved the wishbone up and down disconnected from the hub it was rotating over the polyurethene itself. The polyurethene was remaining stationary as I moved the wishbone up and down.Crazy

Ive had the normal compound on before and did somewhere like 50k miles on them without any problems and then when I did remove them they were absolutely fineDunno

The stiffer compound must just be unfit for this application. Anyway I stuck in some Motaquip VSK623 items and it feels much better and most importantly no vibrations through the steering wheel occuring after 65mph.

Really did fool me this one - theres me thinking ive fitted an uprated part and the problem couldnt be attributed to it and it was causing the symptoms all along.

Thanks everyone for your input thoughThumbs up

Posted 24th May 2012 at 21:21
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #19
that's what they're meant to do btw, they dont work like the rubber bush, more like a bearing - bush.

Its quite known on most pugs that poly stuff isn't up to it, original rubber is far better Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th May 2012 at 23:13