displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Rattling heatshield?
gti6aus

Junior User

Post #1
My heatshield seems to be rattling at a certain RPM.

It seems loose anyway. The two top nuts are tight, however there are more I assume?

What are people's experiences when it comes to fixing this issue, replace, remove/cut down?

Any advice would be great.

CheersSmile

1998 GTi6 Bianca White
Posted 7th May 2012 at 07:18
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
For a quick fix apply some PU sealant then wedge it onto the clean body where its loose. This is is what 6 need to be sorted out too.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 7th May 2012 at 07:49
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
is this the one on the back of the head? there's one on the right hand end into the exhaust manifold flange, and one on the end of the head just down from the vacuum pump.

beez_neez_gt wrote:
For a quick fix apply some PU sealant then wedge it onto the clean body where its loose. This is is what 6 need to be sorted out too.

Laugh my ass off

love a Fire hazard do you? LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th May 2012 at 10:14
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
If you are describing the heatshield which attaches to the rear of the exhaust cam cover thenthere are the 2 x 10mm bolts on top and 1 x 10mm either side as Welshpug describes...

They are awkward to get to but you can do it. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 7th May 2012 at 11:15
gti6aus

Junior User

Post #5
Yes the one directly behind the head, with the two nuts at the top. Silver foil in colour.

Once off, could I repair using a fibreglass repair kit? Then re-drill holes and mount again?

1998 GTi6 Bianca White
Posted 8th May 2012 at 04:08
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #6
You are talking about the one on the bulkhead...

There are the two 10mm nuts at the top, and two 10mm bolts at the bottom, below the manifold. Yes

I'm not sure about a fibreglass repair, although I can tell you that this part is no longer available from Peugeot. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 8th May 2012 at 07:20
gti6aus

Junior User

Post #7
Hmm I see.

So if this is worn out and rattling my only option would be to try and repair or make up a new one?

I assume taking it off all together could spell trouble as the exhaust manifold is so close to the firewall?

1998 GTi6 Bianca White
Posted 8th May 2012 at 09:27
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #8
Concidering there are a large number of 205's with GTi6 engines in with the manifolds closer to the bulkhead than that of a 306 I would say removing it wouldn't be a problem.

The reason it is there is to protect the heater matrix pipes from heat. You could wrap them in some heatproof material perhaps.

I run silicon heater matrix pipes in close proximity of the exhaust manifold and they haven't melted yet.

I have a couple of half decent heat shields knocking about and was going to retrofit one of them with the 306 bracket, but not had chance yet. And no, I won't send one to Australia LOL

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 8th May 2012 at 09:36
    gti6aus

Junior User

Post #9
    dangti6 wrote:
    Concidering there are a large number of 205's with GTi6 engines in with the manifolds closer to the bulkhead than that of a 306 I would say removing it wouldn't be a problem.

The reason it is there is to protect the heater matrix pipes from heat. You could wrap them in some heatproof material perhaps.

I run silicon heater matrix pipes in close proximity of the exhaust manifold and they haven't melted yet.

I have a couple of half decent heat shields knocking about and was going to retrofit one of them with the 306 bracket, but not had chance yet. And no, I won't send one to Australia LOL

I have had a better look and it seems that the heatshield is in decent condition. It is missing the two lower 10 MM nuts. Is it possible to put these back in without taking anything apart. Room is minimal.

1998 GTi6 Bianca White
    Posted 9th May 2012 at 02:26
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #10
    You can do, you will need to remove the top engine mount, just so the engine can roll forward about 1 1/2 inches. Then you can get down there to put the bolts back in. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 9th May 2012 at 06:15
    beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    Sorry i thought you meant the 'usual rattling' heat shield along the exhaust sections.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
    Posted 9th May 2012 at 13:54