displaying posts 1 to 25 of 27

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: amp to speakers
barnettjd77

Regular

Post #1
I am not electrically minded as i am a farmer not a bloody electrician ha!

I am a tad confused of how you wire the amp to the speakers.. i have pioneer 6x9's and the door speakers, with atm a shi*e vibe sub incl amp, how do i go about wiring them all up?
i have been told it makes a hell of a difference to the quality

A red rallye in progress!
Posted 18th Apr 2012 at 23:20
woody.

Senior User

Post #2
So you've got an active vibe sub, meaning it has the amp attached to the back of the sub box or have you got a separate amp and sub?

Or are you asking about how to wire them up to head unit? I'm as confused with your post as your are with electronics! LOL
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 01:47
chris1987

Regular

Post #3
If you are asking how to power the speakers and the sub off 1 amp you would need a 5 channel amp with one of the channels powering the sub or 2 you would need one 4 channel for the speakers and a 1 channel for the sub unless it is a active one .
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 04:02
chris1987

Regular

Post #4
What I have Done might help you I have one 4 channel amp for the speakes and one a 1 channel amp for my sub as 5 channel amps are a bit pricey. I have power cable going to my. Power Cap and 2 cable out of that two my amps you could use distribution block tho. 2 ground cable IV daise chain the remote cable from one amp to the other also I have spilt the rca from 2 jacks to 4 so that I only had to run the one cable . I hav then cut the front speaker cable from the speaker block and run new speaker cable under the carpet next to the handbreak to the boot where my amps and sub are that's just what iv done . Thumbs up
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 04:46
barnettjd77

Regular

Post #5
woody. wrote:
So you've got an active vibe sub, meaning it has the amp attached to the back of the sub box or have you got a separate amp and sub?

Or are you asking about how to wire them up to head unit? I'm as confused with your post as your are with electronics! LOL

haha yeah its an active sub with the amp attatched, i have it all wired to headunit ect and it is working. The only bit i am unsure on is to wire the amp to the speakers, but by what chris said i will sell that vibe one and get a 5 channel amp before i go any further

Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 10:33
chris1987

Regular

Post #6
quote:
chris said i will sell that vibe one and get a 5 channel amp before i go any further

Hi you don't have to get rid of you vibe one just get a 4 channle for the speakers but if you did get a 5 channel amp you may have to run new speaker cable from the speaker block behind the cd player (front speaker ) to the boot as the speaker would need of the amp not the cd player . You would have 1 channle for the front. 1 for the 6x9 and then 1 left for your sub hope it helps

chris1987 has attached the following image:

Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 11:10
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Some amps will pick up a signal from the original speaker cable, but it is better to use the rca outputs from the back of the head unit, and use an rca lead to your amp. You will also need a power 12v cable to your amp from the battery and an earth lead for it.

there's also loads of videos on youtube http://youtu.be/_kqVkn1PbN8

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 12:11
barnettjd77

Regular

Post #8
That will be very helpful chris thanks, when I get my ass in gear to actually fork the money out for it LOL
I have the battery lead, remote lead from headunit and the ground cable and the output lead thingy's haha, shall have to see when I get some money, just done clutch change, ball joints ect quite a hefty bill if am honest LOL

Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 14:15
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
chris1987 wrote:
I have power Cap so I don't have to run 2 sets of power cable down my car

definitely not the way it should be used and not the safest way to do it either

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 15:40
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
monkeyman wrote:
Some amps will pick up a signal from the original speaker cable, but it is better to use the rca outputs from the back of the head unit, and use an rca lead to your amp.

I have to disagree partially, as rca leads are way more sensitive to picking up noises (whiring etc) as normal speakercables can hardly pick up any of that.

For 'normal'/'daily' install, both are equally good imo

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 15:42
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
barnettjd77 wrote:
woody. wrote:

haha yeah its an active sub with the amp attatched, i have it all wired to headunit ect and it is working. The only bit i am unsure on is to wire the amp to the speakers, but by what chris said i will sell that vibe one and get a 5 channel amp before i go any further

Nah, keep the vibe one together with the sub and just get an extra 4channel for the speakers.

(i still happen to have one for sale if you're interested and several 2-channel amps too Razz -> click the link in my signature)

If the +12v lead you're currently using is thick enough (lets say 4awg or thicker) you can split it up with something like this (and keep everything safe and fused)

You can use something alike (without the fuses) for the ground (-12v):

5/6 channels amps are mostly very expensive
(I also have a 6channel one laying around and for sale, but i think it needs to get checked (it's a tad old))

But since you've already got an amp for the sub i'd just add a 4channel Smile
(or even just a 2channel for the front speakers, the rears are less important)

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 15:51
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
dragoon wrote:
monkeyman wrote:
Some amps will pick up a signal from the original speaker cable, but it is better to use the rca outputs from the back of the head unit, and use an rca lead to your amp.

I have to disagree partially, as rca leads are way more sensitive to picking up noises (whiring etc) as normal speakercables can hardly pick up any of that.

I meant with some amps you can plug the speaker wires into it for the signal, but RCA leads are better.

Forum Search Clicky
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 15:58
chris1987

Regular

Post #13
quote:
Difinitely not the way it should be used and not the safest way to do it either

I have 1 power lead from the batt to the vibe power cap then 2 my amps. This is what I found wen I was reserching it for me from a online manual awile ago

1. you don't need a distribution block for one or two amps unless the amp won't except the large gauge wire.
2. run the power wire from the under the hood to the + input of the cap(don't connect the fuse)
3. run the power wire from the + out to the amp/s or distribution block.
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 15:59
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
monkeyman wrote:
dragoon wrote:

I meant with some amps you can plug the speaker wires into it for the signal, but RCA leads are better.

I know, so called high lvl inputs, that's what I replied about. rca's are more prone to giving distortion/alternator-whiring and sorts than the speakerwires. Quality is the same for both really, you'll never notice it in the basic installs you see around here.

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 20:30
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
chris1987 wrote:
I have 1 power lead from the batt to the vibe power cap then 2 my amps. This is what I found wen I was reserching it for me from a online manual awile ago

1. you don't need a distribution block for one or two amps unless the amp won't except the large gauge wire.
2. run the power wire from the under the hood to the + input of the cap(don't connect the fuse)
3. run the power wire from the + out to the amp/s or distribution block.

I can assure you, it's a bad manual then. No
That is just bad advice Thumbs down

The way you are using it you could as well just use an ordinary bolt to fix both amps to.

An ordinary cap should only be placed before 1 amp, preferably the one that has the biggest powerdrain-peaks, being the sub-amp mostly. It's meant to release current very fast (way faster than a conventional battery) and thus absorb the drain peaks. (mostly solving issues like headlights dimming with the bass etc)

You ALWAYS need a distribution block for MORE than 1 amp as every amp needs to be fused separately (and with the appropriate fuse)
If you are using a cap, this should be placed in between the distribution block and the amp.

Also, seeing that you are using a cap, I assume you charged it first? before installing it all? (you know using a simple testbulb, connected in series with the +? Because if you didn't, you might as well throw it away as its probably of no use anymore /broken)

The ground however, doesn't NEED a distribution block, as long as all grounds are fitted to the same point of the chassis. Though I prefer to use one because it's just easier/neater.

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 20:49
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
dragoon wrote:
monkeyman wrote:
dragoon wrote:

I know, so called high lvl inputs, that's what I replied about. rca's are more prone to giving distortion/alternator-whiring and sorts than the speakerwires. Quality is the same for both really, you'll never notice it in the basic installs you see around here.

I always thought high lvl inputs would sound very poor compared to rca's, good to know there's not much between them. Thumbs up

Forum Search Clicky
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 21:12
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
monkeyman wrote:

I always thought high lvl inputs would sound very poor compared to rca's, good to know there's not much between them. Thumbs up

They do have disadvantages, but sound wise (and not looking at professional SQ-setups) they are fine really.

It's just so that rca's mostly have filtering at the HU, so easier to adjust settings 'on the fly', while with highlvl inputs you'll be mostly messing around on the amp itself.

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 21:58
woody.

Senior User

Post #18
Dragoon, what side of the fence are you on, powercap or no powercap? Personally I think they're pretty useless and more of a marketing extra. Uprating the power cables under the bonnet is a better use of the same money IMO.
Posted 19th Apr 2012 at 23:16
chris1987

Regular

Post #19
quote:
Also, seeing that you are using a cap, I assume you charged it first? before installing it all? (you know using a simple testbulb, connected in series with the +? Because if you didn't, you might as well throw it away as its probably of no use anymore /broken

Yes off course I use a test light as it was the simplest way to charge the capacitor tho I have herd of ppl using a Resistor. All I had to do was with the power and ground of the test light stick them in-line where your fuse used to be.wile Hold the test light in place of the fuse until the light bulb turns off meaning the voltage went from 12V to 0V and the capacitor is charged.
On the vibe site :The built in digital voltage display constantly and accurately displays the systems DC voltage. A power distribution block is built into the top of the capacitor to allow easy wiring into the system amplifiers may be wired directly to the capacitors distribution block. As I'm not that gd at explaing tho it might help what iv bin on a about. Smile

chris1987 has attached the following image:

Posted 20th Apr 2012 at 00:11
barnettjd77

Regular

Post #20
Any decent amps? Not really after a new one, i see a few on the bay but ideas on good decent ones please..

Posted 20th Apr 2012 at 18:27
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
all the ones I sell are decent Razz

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
Posted 20th Apr 2012 at 18:47
barnettjd77

Regular

Post #22
dragoon wrote:
all the ones I sell are decent Razz

You would say that if you sell them Whistle haha a link or yeah send me some info on them then Thumbs up

Posted 20th Apr 2012 at 18:48
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Here are a few (still need to put up others too)

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=132860
I can mail the manuals if desired.

Choice would be depending on your current speakers. If you still have standard speakers i'd just upgrade the fronts (as in: get a decent component set), amp up those and cba about the rears. A 2.6x would suffice for that imo.

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
Posted 20th Apr 2012 at 18:56
barnettjd77

Regular

Post #24
They look fine to me, as for the description dragoon, well yeah Ain't got a bloody clue LOL info would be good what channel are they?

Posted 20th Apr 2012 at 19:34
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
woody. wrote:
Dragoon, what side of the fence are you on, powercap or no powercap? Personally I think they're pretty useless and more of a marketing extra. Uprating the power cables under the bonnet is a better use of the same money IMO.

either side actually.

The use of it (or not use) depends on install/situation.
When you have decent wiring/battery but using heavy amps that draw a lot of current, i would use one to take stress of the system/battery.

If you give me the choice: decent wiring OR a cap? Decent wiring all the way, it's the first step of decent setup.

I rarely use caps in any of the installs I've made. I'm more fond of using an uprated battery up front (gel/half-track) or putting an extra in the rear. This is only for the heavy kind of install.
I am going to use cap myself now though, already having decent cabling and a good battery up front I still notice the system suffering from peaks being drawn by the subamp (pushing about 1.3kw rms mind Cool )

But here on the forum, I can't see many other cars needing one...

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
Posted 20th Apr 2012 at 23:32

Pages (2): [1] 2