displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: any tips for increasing handbrake efficiency?
gti-gaz

Regular

Post #1
Smile

car failed its mot for being below the (16%?) efficiency

I'm half way though replacing the rear pads, just wondering if theres anything else I can do to increase the efficiency..

tempted to slightly tighten the handbrake cable?

anything I can 'lube up' that might help out?
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 15:56
rikky 🦔

Post #2
lube the rear pistons aswell, i've had poor efficiency in the past and that's sorted it. the cables will stretch over time so tightening them will help a bit [short term cure]

or swap to a full rear drum brake setup Smile

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 16:00
gti-gaz

Regular

Post #3
what should I be using to lube the pistons and where abouts should I be lubing them?
(sorry for the poor questions )
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 16:10
rikky 🦔

Post #4
i just whipped my rear discs off, wound the piston out and lubed the piston edges so when it retracts back in it's pretty slack. i found my rear dust covers were shot completely and letting crap in and they'd exposed it to rain water etc

it can cause it to stick either in or out, making the car feel like the handbrake is on slightly when setting off, or not enough brake efficiency on a set of brake rollers [eg at MOT]

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 16:16