displaying posts 176 to 200 of 263

Pages (11): first .. 7 [8] 9 .. last

Subject: The "so long and thanks for all the fish" thread
View Results
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #176
I don't get it, folk wanted more admins
And they wanted membership fees, now there moaning about it and leaving????????????
Confused

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 03:29
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #177
buzzbrightyear wrote:
And they wanted membership fees, now there moaning about it and leaving????????????
Confused

It's the same old saying Andy. "The grass is always greener on the other side until you get there".

People were moaning about the 'state' of the site, zero online Admin presence, no updating and trolls popping up here, there and everywhere. At one stage, membership fees were SUGGESTED by members as a way of controlling the trolls.

So......fast forward to the present day. The site has new Admins, who are pretty active and do get things moved/edited/deleted on a daily basis as well as carry out requests for individuals regarding project thread update help etc.
The site has improved, we still get problems with it crashing every so often, but at least its being investigated and a fix WILL be found in time. Trolls are no longer a serious issue due to the presence of a larger Admin Team, and they get dealt with swiftly.
People have complained about a lot of issues and Ash has listened and implemented a lot of the suggestions people wanted to see done here.
For example, making the Peugeot Lion in the top left hand corner a 'link' to Home.
The "Export" button for PM's, having the icons at the top of a reply for Bold, Italic and Underline text. Making URLs automatically link as soon as you write them without having to use the "clicky" code...and so it goes on.

Now, we are changing to a one level compulsory flat membership fee, which puts every single member on the same page. No-one will have more rights than anyone else and its fair for everyone.

ALL of these changes have occured due to Heidi6's thread about how bad the forum was and what can be done about it. People have complained, people said they wanted to leave as changes will "never happen".
People have listened and changes "have happened" based on those complaints.

And....its still not good enough? I'm not sure what more can really be done. Dunno

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 06:39
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #178
Stan just read Chris' post from the previous page. That explains a lot.
Maybe the site costs should be transparent?

Nothing to see here
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 08:55
joker

Seasoned Pro

Post #179
Gutted Sad

Team 375 BHP Duratec™
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 09:03
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #180
stan_306gti6 wrote:
And....its still not good enough? I'm not sure what more can really be done. Dunno

Have to agree here. Reality is it costs hundreds a year just to run a forum like this, at the hosting company I worked at it was always the car clubs that had the issues, as people were on battering databases day and night, with all kinds of stupid searches and off-the-shelf software. Forums are high-intensity as computing goes, so you can't just slap the site on some £50-a-year hosting package, that's what we were on before and we all know how well that went.

You therefore have two ways of generating that cash - people pay, or you get advertisers. And who's going to advertise?! It'd take an advertiser ten minutes on here to realise half the people don't have '6s anymore, a quarter don't have the money to buy new parts and the rest already have all the shiny expensive parts they need.

Yes, if this was MLR, CSL Register, even ScoobyNet or one of those people have money, and 5-figure, even 6-figure build threads are commonplace. In that scenario it's worth a parts reseller paying to advertise, but here? Nope.

I genuinely cannot see why people won't pay a penny a day in this day and age, I think it's ridiculous and it'll be the end of the forum. Let's face it, most of the entertaining posts and threads are from people who've been on here years, far longer than I have; many of those will die off. Hell I'm still here (gutted) and I don't bother updating my build thread anymore as no-one reads it.

And as for the admin thing, you asked - you got. It's not like Stan goes around banning everyone who disagrees with him and even if he did then contact Ash and complain, don't just b**ch on here. I wouldn't want to be an admin, it's a thankless task and I for one think Stan does a very good job, especially for someone doing it as a hobby.

I was trying to avoid putting a bit rant on this thread, I failed. I just think some people are being pathetic.

O.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 09:06
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #181
quote:

I agreeLOL

My point was at least with other forums there are beniftsThumbs up

Ps, WTF has a BMW got to do with itConfused

But there are benefits. The very existance of the forum itself for one....

the BMW thing was to make a point about the level of comparison you were making in terms of price difference etc.

The thing is Ash is paying for it out of his own pocket and has done for a very long time. Running a forum is not free, nor is it cheap.
Ash doesnt live for the 306 anymore and so it makes sense for him to seek a contribution. A low one actually too, as most clubs are many times more expensive and sell it to your mostly with things you dont want to "add value".
The fact is that to be kicking off over paying 5quid a year for something so useful its just plain cheap, he's paid for it for so long and the second he starts seeking contribution, which IS fair (opinion doesn't come into it) people throw their toys out of the pram. Your'e all for a free ride but the second iyou have to pay for it then its a major issue and its the "Principle".

Let me tell you about priniciple. Some s**t aint free b**ches. Deal with it. Its as simple as that

Also if you think that you have contributed enough for free membership I still refer you to my previous point, just because you are a contributor doesnt mean you should be given everything, anyone would have thought the sun shines from your arse.

A fiver wont even buy you a proper subway :S

BTW I say this out of love, Because I want you all to stay. THE END

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 09:15
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #182
eliotrw wrote:
Some s**t aint free b**ches

New club motto? Get that in the header.

eliotrw wrote:
A fiver wont even buy you a proper subway

What, a footlong cheese steak with the pepper cheese on Italian herb bread, heated but not toasted? Lettuce, jalapeños, red onion and plenty of pickles? Southwest sauce?

I agree.

Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 09:20
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #183
of course a fiver will get you a sub, you not seen the £5 deal? Razz

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 09:26
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #184
Wheres the drink though? and the crisps?

Let me tell you, them ones in the £5 lunch footlong deal dont cut it either..

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 09:26
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #185
To avoid this going off-topic with something people are clearly passionate about, I've started a separate thread.

See you there.

Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 09:30
jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #186
buzzbrightyear wrote:
Confused

Its only a handful of people not paying, most people are. I think th whole thing of members not paying has been blown out of preportion to be honest.
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 09:42
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #187
jsoulman wrote:
Its only a handful of people not paying, most people are. I think th whole thing of members not paying has been blown out of preportion to be honest.

I hope you're right James, it is sad to see anyone leaving the community to be honest and no-one here wants that. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 09:46
billyboy99

Seasoned Pro

Post #188
owain wrote:
O.

I detest people that end a message or email with a letter.

B
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 10:04
jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #189
stan_306gti6 wrote:

People have complained, people said they wanted to leave as changes will "never happen".
People have listened and changes "have happened" based on those complaints.

To be fair pal I dont think many or any of the people leaving were the ones complaining. To me it seems the ones that were are now happy the way things have worked out so dont worry about it man, its all good. The forum has been sorted and will keep going strong for a while. You cant win em all anyway.. thats life.
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 10:40
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #190
Thanks for the support James, I certainly hope the forum is continuing to improve and will stay strong for many years to come. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 10:43
billyboy99

Seasoned Pro

Post #191
Someone should make a montage of the best moments of the last 5 years...
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 10:51
rikky 🦔

Post #192
or next 5 without you here Whistle

jk <33 xx

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 10:58
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #193
billyboy99 wrote:

billyboy99 wrote:
Also goodbye from me

Done.

Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 10:58
rikky 🦔

Post #194
gay minds think alike

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 11:00
jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #195
owain wrote:
billyboy99 wrote:

billyboy99 wrote:
Also goodbye from me

Done.

LOL

Reminds me of Harry Hills 'TV highlight of the weeeeeeek!'
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 11:00
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #196
I'm hoping quite a few of the knowledgeable people do hang around, my car is in pieces and I don't think I can put it back together without you!

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 11:12
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #197
clen666 wrote:
I'm hoping quite a few of the knowledgeable people do hang around, my car is in pieces and I don't think I can put it back together without you!

Maybe there should be an "adopt this member" option for when you require someone's skills.

For just £2 a month, you can give someone access to the forum, where they can answer your questions.

Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 11:13
rikky 🦔

Post #198
and for that month, they get the Bob Geldof icon under their username

this idea is full of winning formula

Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 11:20
jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #199
'Damn ive accidently adopted Lecktorious'

(he is a real member since 09) LOL
Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 11:23
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #200
jsoulman wrote:
'Damn ive accidently adopted Lecktorious'

That wouldn't be an accident, I'd go around adopting these randoms just so I could be like right, dance for me b**ch. Tell me about yourself, and why the f**k don't you ever post anything?

Posted 11th Apr 2012 at 11:24

Pages (11): first .. 7 [8] 9 .. last