justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Wave
Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 13:10
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #27
Hmm, interesting to see what will happen with the site, I think it will completely die.
Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 13:40
scib4

Senior User

Post #28
lewisdmz wrote:
I think it will completely die.

Like!

Don't pay for any other car forum i use and i go through quite a few cars.

Mike

08 BMW 320d M-Sport touring (Superchipped Spec)
11 VW Transporter Kombi T5.1GP LWB (Bi-Turbo spec)
Yeti DJ (Jump spec)
Specialized SX Trail (DH spec)
Specialized Pitch (XC spec)
Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 13:44
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Not buying membership is just being cheap. Its a fiver and its worth it

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 13:45
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #30
lewisdmz wrote:
Hmm, interesting to see what will happen with the site, I think it will completely die.

Not initially. But a stong chance it will be a case of PSOC and Stan's comment about nothing fresh happening in order to renew.

Lifetime membership?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 13:46
    scib4

Senior User

Post #31
    eliotrw wrote:

True if you still have a 306.

Mike

Yeti DJ (Jump spec)
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 13:48
    russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
    smegal wrote:
    If this goes ahead, it may be worth setting up an unlocked to non paying members introductions section

thats a good point

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 13:54
    adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
    dangti6 wrote:
    lewisdmz wrote:

Not initially. But a stong chance it will be a case of PSOC and Stan's comment about nothing fresh happening in order to renew.

Lifetime membership?

I don't think so. There is more to this site and its for one specific car type, not loads. Its also not much money. Then again I don't pay for the advice and help on the T5D5 forum, its not as busy, but it works better and the club does a huge amount for charity.

+1 on needing a newbie intro page, just remember that any questions shouldn't be answered.

Also will the rest of the site still be readable without membership? Whats the point if people can get all the info anyway?

Nothing to see here
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 14:27
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #34
    Adam - The site will still be readable to all who view, but posting can only be done once you've paid...

As for newbies being able to get the info they want, thats correct providing its a VERY common issue which has been covered loads of times before. However, less common faults will be harder to find in search and therefore people will still want to post and ask that question to get the answer they desire. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 14:33
    jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
    stan_306gti6 wrote:
    Adam - The site will still be readable to all who view, but posting can only be done once you've paid...

As for newbies being able to get the info they want, thats correct providing its a VERY common issue which has been covered loads of times before. However, less common faults will be harder to find in search and therefore people will still want to post and ask that question to get the answer they desire. Smile

Yeah this will work to be fair. I reckon there will be plenty of new members still signing up to get their questions answered etc. I gotta feeling the £5 set fee will work well.
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 14:36
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #36
    scib4 wrote:
    eliotrw wrote:

The question has to be asked, if you didn't have a 306 any lomger why would you still want to access this forum?

The answer of course probably goes along the lines of the fact that whilst you had the 306 you found this site a goldmine of information AND more than likely made some good mates whilst you were here and that's the reason you wish to stay. That being the case, is it not worth the £5 pa to support the site and your mates who still have 306's that are still here? You can still enjoy the banter etc all for the cost of a pint in most places these days...Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 14:39
    stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
    As others have said, not sure what affect it will have on the site but I'll stick around to find out.

Can my membership be stretched to the two years, and then the remaining tenner be refunded? Or do I need to stretch it to four years? Unsure
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 14:39
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #38
    jsoulman wrote:
    stan_306gti6 wrote:

Yeah this will work to be fair. I reckon there will be plenty of new members still signing up to get their questions answered etc. I gotta feeling the £5 set fee will work well.

Thanks for the support James, just a shame you don't want to pay it...LOL

I would ask that you consider it though mate as you are a long-term valued member of this site and it would be a shame to lose you from here, even if it was just for the comedy element! Thumbs up

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 14:41
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #39
    Stu - I'm not 100% on this, but I would imagine you could have whatever pay structure you preferred as you have at least 3 years worth of membership to play with there. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 14:44
    jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
    stan_306gti6 wrote:
    scib4 wrote:
    eliotrw wrote:

The question has to be asked, if you didn't have a 306 any lomger why would you still want to access this forum?

The answer of course probably goes along the lines of the fact that whilst you had the 306 you found this site a goldmine of information AND more than likely made some good mates whilst you were here and that's the reason you wish to stay. That being the case, is it not worth the £5 pa to support the site and your mates who still have 306's that are still here? You can still enjoy the banter etc all for the cost of a pint in most places these days...Yes

I still have a 306 and yes have enjoyed the site. Is it worth £5? Yes, am I gonna pay? no. And the main reason is because its personal...nothing about rebelling or any of that s**te. I think its a good idea what Ash is doing and although his first efforts at charging sounded fair, we learnt by trial and error that it didnt work. No ones fault, its just the way things go. I really need to sort myself out now, work hard and start earning the big bucks again. Unfortuantely I like to distract myself by any means possible. Me not paying means I will finally stop posting endless amounts of bulls**t on here when its not needed and I can focus on become rich again.

So like I say, im not sticking my fingers up, just thought I would give an honest reason as to why I wont pay. Let me get to eggs actly 10k posts first.. thanks.

Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 14:45
    billyboy99

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
    stan_306gti6 wrote:

I would ask that you consider it though mate as you are a long-term valued member of this site and it would be a shame to lose you from here, even if it was just for the comedy element! Thumbs up

jsoulman is the reason i log in every morning...is that gay...or is it true love?

(him and naiwick, which leads me to my next Q, will naiwick have to pay membership too?)
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 14:45
    iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
    Great solution.
    Great price too
    LOL @ forum members who baulk at the idea of £5 to support the forum.
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 14:52
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #43
    We feel it is the fairest decision that can be made. However, you can't please all of the people all of the time...

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 14:55
    funscott

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
    Sad

do i have a gti6 , yes

do i read these forums, yes

would i pay for membership, no. why you ask. I dont ask many technical questions and most have already been posted.

paid to comment = fail. the site content will become stale as membership drops off a cliff. we will not have crazy comments from the likes of jsoulman which isnt on topic but makes you want to see whats new. if content isnt fresh people will soon find pastures new for their social chit chat.

Join Quidco the top cash back site and earn £1.25 from my referral link (once you earn £5) http://www.quidco.com/user/571859/1838
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 15:01
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #45
    funscott wrote:
    Sad

do i have a gti6 , yes

do i read these forums, yes

would i pay for membership, no. why you ask. I dont ask many technical questions and most have already been posted.

paid to comment = fail. the site content will become stale as membership drops off a cliff. we will not have crazy comments from the likes of jsoulman which isnt on topic but makes you want to see whats new. if content isnt fresh people will soon find pastures new for their social chit chat.

Its a great shame you feel that way mate, however I don't think membership will drop off as such. We still get new members signing up on a daily basis, most of whom quickly ask how to sign up for membership as they want to get involved. Thats a positive thing, seeing as we have got members some of whom have been here 6 years or more that refuse to pay. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 15:06
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #46
    The members that have been here 6 years or more have seen a decline in spirits LOL

• Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 15:08
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #47
    A quick note to all those who seeing paying as a burden...

Most members here have been here a fair while and have enjoyed the forum for all that its had to offer them. Sometimes technical advice, sometimes life advice and sometimes good old banter or a chance to vent the days frustrations. All of these things happen in one place...this forum.

The forum DOES cost money to run and has done ALL the years from its beginnings in 2002. It was funded for all the members so they could use it free of charge. You were asked to pay in 2011. Some 9 years it has been funded by someone else for the benefit of YOU the member. Some of you guys who state you're not prepared to pay have your reasons and I don't disrespect those. However, no-one is looking to make money from a forum contribution, its literally to cover the costs of running it.

There is no such thing as a "free lunch" and lets be honest we have ALL been enjoying free lunches since we became members FOC. Now a small contribution is being asked to help with the running costs, not to top up someone's wage packet, to cover the RUNNING COSTS.

Refusing to contribute £5 a YEAR to help keep this place the great place it is? I respect your individual choice but just can't fathom the logic...No

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 15:19
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #48
    In the non profit respect what happens with the excess money left over in the club fund on an annual basis after hosting and what not has been paid? Serious curiosity question.

• Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 15:37
    scib4

Senior User

Post #49
    stan_306gti6 wrote:
    scib4 wrote:
    eliotrw wrote:

Am i not right in thinking you only became a paid member 2-3 weeks back Stan, or was that part of the Admin package Roll eyes

Anyway makes no difference, not here judge, just saying i won't be payingThumbs up

Mike

Yeti DJ (Jump spec)
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 15:44
    anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
    I think its a good idea, I dont have a Gti6 anymore but am on here most of the time.
    Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 15:50

Pages (19): 1 [2] 3 .. last