displaying posts 26 to 50 of 83

Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: GTI-6 on Top Gear tonight!
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
I think I need to look into this track car thing.... wheres a good place to start? I suppose main concerns are having something road legal so I could drive it there and not paying much for insurance...
Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:12
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #27
Lydden is only down the road from me, this has tempted me to go in a new direction with the pug!!

Rich E wrote:

With the 306 Rallye the goal wasn't to make a purer or more focussed car. It was to make a cheaper car, and then cynically use Peugeot's motorsport heritage to make it appeal to enthusiasts.
Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:15
BrianM

Regular

Post #28
I p*ssed myself laughing when I seen you take clarkson off the track! haha!

They're right though, that does look epic fun, and I must say it was an obvious but interesting point to note that Golf is an expensive and boring sport by comparison though. Peugeot 106 GTi's all round/buggered GTi-6's?!

Surely it's a sport that'll take off again, it was epic to watch....and that was just on top gear.

'13 208 Gti Bianca White, '99 Bianca 306 Rallye, '92 309 Goodwood GTi 5dr, '92 Miami Blue 309 GTi 3dr.
Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:16
7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Rallycross looks epic.how much is a race license?
106 gti or saxo vts would be wicked

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
Team rallye,built for track
----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
Secret Team Astor...
Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:21
BrianM

Regular

Post #30
I am trying to find out how much it is for a race license as well...MSA's website is shockingly slow. Peugeot Sport Club is recognised by MSA, I suppose that might help me/others part of PSCUK as well?

'13 208 Gti Bianca White, '99 Bianca 306 Rallye, '92 309 Goodwood GTi 5dr, '92 Miami Blue 309 GTi 3dr.
Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:43
stuart638

Regular

Post #31
CUJ wrote:
Was that you who took out Clarkson?! Laugh my ass off

Yep, I have to admit it was me! But he did brake damn early!! Lol
Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:46
stuart638

Regular

Post #32
BrianM wrote:
I am trying to find out how much it is for a race license as well...MSA's website is shockingly slow. Peugeot Sport Club is recognised by MSA, I suppose that might help me/others part of PSCUK as well?

You can start with a national b licence for £41 in the BTRDA clubmans championship (which was what was on TG) or for £79 you can do the MSA British championship which is the one I normally do
Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:51
stuart638

Regular

Post #33
And my 306 is for sale......
Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:52
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #34
Was the Clarkson and Hammond battle real or staged?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:52
    gtisid

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
    was a good episode, bet you have been bursting to tell someone about it ? when was that filmed. A bad comparison with golf as you do n to have to repair a set of golf clubs every weekend, and even on a budget i bet you overspend. It is impossible to not be competitive in motorsport and to compete you need to spend, if you are content to just go round a track then surely track days is the cheaper option.
    didn't mention tyres either which can cost the earth. whilst i was watching i was thinking £10 k a year all in at least to compete inna championship of some level?

pugless
    Phase 1 GTI 6 1996-1997
    Subaru Impreza GB270 2007-2008
    rare spiderman comics
    same day international courier
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:52
    redrallye

rimjaw

Post #36
    Good skills on twatting Clarkson Thumbs up

Watching things like that makes me wonder if I should upgrade from trackdays....

Team "310bhp/tonne" Devil Devil

Team "Old Skool Kool" Happy

Team "Faster than a standard 6. No really, both of them are"
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:53
    BrianM

Regular

Post #37
    stuart638 wrote:
    And my 306 is for sale......

Couldn't afford it! Wink

Seems cheap to get a license anyway, I was expecting £100's for some reason. It's true what's been said above about repair costs, James May showed that after his first 5 minutes and knackered his suspension etc! But even if it did cost £10k...it's still 10x better than £2000 for golf! So it represents excellent value for money LOL

Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:56
    matty_rallye

Senior User

Post #38
    Thought the rallycross was a good watch. Looks like great fun!

2.1 16v 306 Rallye.
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:59
    shadows entity

Regular

Post #39
    Shame I was at work, only 5mins from me
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 21:59
    teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #40
    justinaccurate wrote:
    I think I need to look into this track car thing.... wheres a good place to start? I suppose main concerns are having something road legal so I could drive it there and not paying much for insurance...

Buy something ready built, otherwise you'll end up spending shed-loads, even if you can do a lot of the labour yourself.

You wouldn't want a proper rallycross car on the road!

Do you have to do an ARDs test for rallycross? If its the same process as for circuit racing then you need to get a Go Racing pack from the MSA (about £50), have a medical (about £60-100, from local GP), then do an ARDs test where you have a few laps of a circuit with an examiner to check you can get round capably, then sit a multiple choice test where you have to score 100% which isn't all that tricky (this is all about the £250 mark, iirc, it's been a while since I did mine). Oh yeah, then buy your license (National race B about £60 a calendar year).

Then you need - racing suit, gloves and boots - all fireproofed. A valid helmet (check the MSA blue book, they keep withdrawing old safety specs from their approved list). That little lot will set you back about £300 even getting budget / 2nd-hand (not the helmet, always buy new so you know the history).

So approx £600 just for starters.

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 22:01
    stuart638

Regular

Post #41
    dangti6 wrote:
    Was the Clarkson and Hammond battle real or staged?

It was all real. Turned out to be a great race and considering how cool their job is, they all said they wanted to do it again!
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 22:02
    CUJ

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
    stuart638 wrote:
    CUJ wrote:
    Was that you who took out Clarkson?! Laugh my ass off

Yep, I have to admit it was me! But he did brake damn early!! Lol

LOL you legend! Good work, part of TG history forever Cool Clapping

340 horses
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 22:04
    stuart638

Regular

Post #43
    af1-gti wrote:
    Lydden is only down the road from me, this has tempted me to go in a new direction with the pug!!

I Guarantee you will not have more fun on four wheels. Yes
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 22:15
    rikky 🦔

Post #44
    i was just watching it before and wondered if it was a gti6, wondering if anyone on here owned it LOL

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
    306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
    gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
    winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 22:21
    stuart638

Regular

Post #45
    gtisid wrote:
    was a good episode, bet you have been bursting to tell someone about it ? when was that filmed. A bad comparison with golf as you do n to have to repair a set of golf clubs every weekend, and even on a budget i bet you overspend. It is impossible to not be competitive in motorsport and to compete you need to spend, if you are content to just go round a track then surely track days is the cheaper option.
    didn't mention tyres either which can cost the earth. whilst i was watching i was thinking £10 k a year all in at least to compete inna championship of some level?

It was a great day, we filmed it about three weeks ago. The great thing with Rallycross is that there are classes for all budgets. I did about six years racing on a real shoestring. You are right about wanting to be competitive, but again because of the classes, there are always close races.

You could do a complete championship for around £4K
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 22:22
    stuart638

Regular

Post #46
    teej wrote:
    justinaccurate wrote:

Buy something ready built, otherwise you'll end up spending shed-loads, even if you can do a lot of the labour yourself.

You wouldn't want a proper rallycross car on the road!

Do you have to do an ARDs test for rallycross? If its the same process as for circuit racing then you need to get a Go Racing pack from the MSA (about £50), have a medical (about £60-100, from local GP), then do an ARDs test where you have a few laps of a circuit with an examiner to check you can get round capably, then sit a multiple choice test where you have to score 100% which isn't all that tricky (this is all about the £250 mark, iirc, it's been a while since I did mine). Oh yeah, then buy your license (National race B about £60 a calendar year).

Then you need - racing suit, gloves and boots - all fireproofed. A valid helmet (check the MSA blue book, they keep withdrawing old safety specs from their approved list). That little lot will set you back about £300 even getting budget / 2nd-hand (not the helmet, always buy new so you know the history).

So approx £600 just for starters.

I agree, ready built is best... all the hard work done! ARDs is not needed for Rallycross, just a non-race Nat B (£41).

Spot on with the safety gear as you have mentioned.
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 22:27
    justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
    I probably would not be looking at actual racing yet, just trackdays initially.
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 22:28
    rikky 🦔

Post #48
    had to double check that was actually teej posting that Shock

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
    306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
    gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
    winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
    Posted 11th Mar 2012 at 22:47
    T400 PUG Banned!

Post #49
    are you called Gary??
    Posted 12th Mar 2012 at 08:58
    russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
    awww classic, watched this last night

yeh fair play giving jezza a bump LOL

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread