displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: rev counter and oil level gauge not working.
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
ive searched through the archives and cant find this exact problem Sad.

my dials work fine except my rev counter and my oil level gauge. the rev counter doesn't move a smidge but the oil level meter does come on and move all the way to full on ignition then turns itself down to off/empty when driving. (my oil level is fine though)

i googled the problem and found one person with the same problem, he went to a garage iirc and they said a circuit behind the clocks had fried and they replaced the clocks/instruemtn panel...... this seems fair enough but id see what you lot have to say before i go buying expensive things i dont need

just wondered if anyone has had this problem before and what fixed it.
and where i should look for wiring errors/corroded connections.

thanks for any info/help in advance

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 7th Mar 2012 at 01:24
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #2
your rev counter will probably be just some dodgy connection by the radiatior /wiring (i had a break in the white wire down by the bumper)

your oil indicator is working fine! Thumbs up

the 1st indication is your oil level ie move all the way to the end to show you how much oil is in,..
then return back,.. then it gradually goes up again indication your oil temp Wink

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 7th Mar 2012 at 02:42
rikky 🦔

Post #3
what phase? if phase1, it'll show level followed by pressure rather than temp.. which i am sure you know anyway

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 7th Mar 2012 at 12:18
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
ah i see......... so the oil level gauge does oil level first then swaps over to oil tempreture? it kinda makes sense.

ill have to have a more extensive mooch around my wiring for a break etc

Posted 7th Mar 2012 at 12:33
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
i have fixed the problem. was the loom right at the bottom of the rad on the passengers side.it had taken rather a knock. cracked her open and saw a red wire was nie on severed and full of green blue copper corroded powder. fixed it with a crimp and all was well. and now i have the dial a rarely look at working Smile

out of interest do any wires related to the central locking remote go through that loom. only a few of the other wires seemed slightly scuffed and nowhere near as bad as this red wire. ive started a thread on it but it doesnt seem very popular Sad all i want to know really is where the reciever in the car is located so i can trace wires?

Posted 9th Mar 2012 at 15:55
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #6
Well cone bud! Big grin

not sure on that one i'm afrain justkeep bumping the thread someone on here will know you'll just have to wait for them to see it! Smile

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 9th Mar 2012 at 19:05
warner

Junior User

Post #7
Jimmy, yeah my whole loom down there was f**ked. About half a dozen wires corroded through. The whole car was knackered, central locking, fans, all sorts. The engine stayed running when I took the key out ffs!

'96 GTI-6 daily
'93 180SX drifter

20 Febuary 1997 - Thursday's car..has far to go? Wink
Posted 29th Mar 2012 at 22:07
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
dont suppose the remote part for your central locking started working again after you patched up the wires?

Posted 12th Apr 2012 at 23:48
warner

Junior User

Post #9
Certainly did. Car is fine now, touch wood.

'96 GTI-6 daily
'93 180SX drifter

20 Febuary 1997 - Thursday's car..has far to go? Wink
Posted 18th Apr 2012 at 00:43