displaying posts 1 to 18 of 18

Author Subject: my first non phase 1
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
as my gti is still in pieces and on the drawing board as to purpose ive bought another 306 to tootle about in, this will be my fourth 306. but my first one that is not a phase one.

is a 2.0 xsi v reg and i am pleasantly pleased with it, for 400 quid i cant complain. the rev counter and oil level dial arnt working but everything else is perfect so see it as a good buy.

after about 2 weeks of owning it i though id just let people know what a like and dont about the "face lift" model.

likes.
bonnet dampers, (very cool)
the pockets where the keypad used to be in the centre console. (they hold a phone/wallet really well)
stealth shelf instead of exposed speakers
extra rear brake light
the electric window buttons are in a better place

dislikes.
not having the top glovebox
not having the keypad (i like to pretend im a secret agent or a fighter pilot)
exterior "facelift" styling.......nearly all of it.....even the colour coding isnt to my taste (i prefer the retro look)
the rain sensor is really miffing me off. ( i know how fast i want my wipers to go!!!)
the interior styling........the door cards seem rather wastefull on the space side. and its seems a bit pooey nail that they went from nice black leather and alacantara, to patterns of splodgy paint drawn oak leaves??????
im just glad someone before me swapped the seats for older style leather and alacantara seats.

out of interest how different is my 2.0 xsi engine and car from a gti6? the brakes seem identical, the only differnce i can make out is the inlet and exhaust manifold along with the rev limit. am i correct in my observations?
i only ask as i still have the exhaust mainfold and few other bits from my totalled gti6 engine.

thanks for your replies in advance

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 7th Mar 2012 at 01:15
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
The engines are pretty much identical. Your inlet mani off the 6 will fit straight on to the xsi engine.

Internally though the pistons are different between the 2 engines.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 7th Mar 2012 at 10:30
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #3
jimmyhackers wrote:

out of interest how different is my 2.0 xsi engine and car from a gti6? the brakes seem identical, the only differnce i can make out is the inlet and exhaust manifold along with the rev limit. am i correct in my observations?
i only ask as i still have the exhaust mainfold and few other bits from my totalled gti6 engine.

thanks for your replies in advance

Exhaust manifold is diffrerent,inlet is different along with the pistons as matt has said plus some reworkings on the management side of things

brakes are smaller 266mm items IIRC
Posted 7th Mar 2012 at 11:24
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
it appears someone has put aftermarket brakes on the front and kept the rear standard but painted the calipers blue :S

cant complain as it stops as well as my 6 did Smile

Posted 7th Mar 2012 at 12:31
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Your 6 used a lorry to stop didn't it Wink Laugh my ass off

I was watching one on eBay recently that I was going use as a run around.
As already said, inlet and exhaust manifolds are different.
Brakes are 266 as opposed to 283
I think they run about 137bhp iirc

Cherry rallye - DOB Thursday 29/04/1999
Team Rallye - the leaner, meaner, better looking sister of the GTI6 Big grin
roland rat wrote:
You sir either live for the 6 or have a mental retardation to still be repairing this!

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so fecking temperamental. 
Posted 7th Mar 2012 at 13:53
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
yes, im still pretty cut up about it all....... i worked the whole year, 90 hour weeks, no holiday, saved up both my money and had the whole odf dec off to enjoy my car then about 3 days after my birthday and after i have my new shiney engine some foreign twat takes it all away.

Posted 7th Mar 2012 at 16:19
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #7
You took a month off work to enjoy your car?
Heh cool!

Rich E wrote:

With the 306 Rallye the goal wasn't to make a purer or more focussed car. It was to make a cheaper car, and then cynically use Peugeot's motorsport heritage to make it appeal to enthusiasts.
Posted 8th Mar 2012 at 09:47
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
af1-gti wrote:
Heh cool!

That's living for the 306 Ninja

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 8th Mar 2012 at 09:54
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #9
mattgti6phase2 wrote:
af1-gti wrote:
Heh cool!

That's living for the 306 Ninja

Yeah it really is lol

Rich E wrote:

With the 306 Rallye the goal wasn't to make a purer or more focussed car. It was to make a cheaper car, and then cynically use Peugeot's motorsport heritage to make it appeal to enthusiasts.
Posted 8th Mar 2012 at 10:05
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #10
The XSi engine is the same block, however it has different pistons, cams, inlet/exhaust manifold and no piston oil spray bars. Also, I believe the cam carriers don't have the lugs on them to mount individual coil packs. Wink

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 8th Mar 2012 at 13:32
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
same crank, possibly same rods, no cam sensor hole or vac pump.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Mar 2012 at 13:34
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
also no 'RS' stamped on it

All South Wales Members Click Here
Team Supercharged Black RALLYE ™ (Click Here for Build Project)
MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 8th Mar 2012 at 13:36
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #13
bigger inlet valves!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Mar 2012 at 14:01
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
i see...... so quite a lot different, i think ill save the modifcations for my gti. this car when i eventually fix the central locking and rev counter should be able to be sold for at least what a bought it for (£400) if not more, tis a very tidy motor

ive decided im stripping out the aircon and other things with the 6 and trying my mad hho cells.
i noticed a %100 increase in mpg with motorway driving on my 1.4 with crude (jam jar cells) they only gave 1-2 lpm of gas. with my proper cells im getting closer to 16lpm of gas for around the same amperage and volts (12v@20amps)
my argument it with it all centrers around the "detonation" property of the gas even in less than 1% concentration. as petrol "combusts" the flames spread out from the spark plug. meaning the mixture will be in different stages of combustion depending on distance from the spark plug gap. i.e when the piston is on its way down the combustion is still happening but in a larger chamber. making for a less efficient use of the combustion charge.
hho with its detonational property will aid the flame to spread much more quickly and alow a more even/complete combustion to happen when the piston is just on its way down. meaning for a smaller space for the pressure released to act upon.
its essentially the same principle as a diesel engine, which is a detonation engine not a combustion engine. i.e. due to diesel being ignited by pressure, the whole mixture is ignited evenly and doesn't have a "wave" of combustion going through it.

and yes i am mad

Posted 9th Mar 2012 at 13:12
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #15
I am liking your thought process of this project, although maybe your overthinking it slightly...LOL

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 9th Mar 2012 at 13:23
rikky 🦔

Post #16
in a polite way, your theories could send a glass eye to sleep. you overthink things in a huge way

LOL

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 9th Mar 2012 at 13:24
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #17
Based on how your thinking about flame fronts and combustion pressures etc, there is an interesting thread discussing such matters over in Engines at the moment by the name of "V-Power...hesitation". Maybe you could put your theory to good use over there. LOL

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 9th Mar 2012 at 13:37
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
i was reading up on that thread. i think people mainly misconcieve a higher octane to mean more power stored in the fuel. all it means is its less likely to explode (pre-detonate)

if i remmember correctly i looked up all this stuff about running your car on alchahol/methanol which is essentially this bioethanol stuff they add to new fuel. it generally has a higher octane rating but in the same respect it has less stored energy within the fuel compared to petroluem

with all the detergant and addatives and higher methanolly biofuel its probably cleaned away some "vital dirt" or degraded (melted) some parts with the bioethanolyness

Posted 9th Mar 2012 at 16:03