displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Aux belt drive idler pulley removal
mpieczko

Regular

Post #1
Just a quick question...

Has anyone ever removed the idler pulley (not the auto tensioner) without removing the top engine mount or power steering pump?

It looks like it may be possible without moving the engine or removing anything else other than the inner wheel arch liner and the auto tensioner, but it looks pretty tight.

Thanks in advance!
Posted 28th Feb 2012 at 12:51
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Yes you can get it from O/S wheel arch or from above with long skinny hands and a spanner LOL

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 28th Feb 2012 at 12:55
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #3
Yes, but it is very tight and you have to take your time. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 28th Feb 2012 at 12:56
mpieczko

Regular

Post #4
Wow, quick reply, cheers eddy_gti6!

Fantastic, I should be able to manage it then. I can't wait to stop my car sounding like it's supercharged.

And amazingly the genuine part from Peugeot was cheaper than GSF!!

Thanks again!
Posted 28th Feb 2012 at 13:00
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Use a 13mm ratchet spanner as well, makes things a hell of a lot easier

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 28th Feb 2012 at 13:00
mpieczko

Regular

Post #6
Update...

That job was a real pain in the arse!

It wasn't too bad removing the bolts but trying to hold the part in the right position and start the uppermost bolt on its threads was a nightmare. Especially as you have to do it all with just one hand. I eventually took off the power steering pump pulley cover and that allowed me to just about get two hands (fingertips anyway) onto the bolt head to get it to bite in the hole.

Note to anyone planning to do this job; M8 x 1.25 x 25mm long flange head bolts won't fit in the two lower (blind) fixing holes as the thread is not deep enough. You will need to put 1.5 to 2mm thick washers under the heads. Obviously you only need to worry about this if the old bolts can't be re-used.
Posted 3rd Mar 2012 at 17:15