displaying posts 1 to 25 of 35

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: For sale section not working?
dan86

Senior User

Post #1
Could admin please fix the peugeots for sale section as the classified section is a bit poor to be honest.
The old way was the best as it was much easier to scan through the thread titles.

Please put it back to the way it was. X

Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 08:06
khj100

Senior User

Post #2
Feedback noted!

Out of interest, what do you feel is poor about the Classifieds? It's a more structured template for adverts, allows you to load multiple pictures which are easier to navigate and, most importantly, doesn't restrict you to Peugeots only?

Can you elaborate?

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:17
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
It's off the main forum so rarely gets seen and isn't as easy to browse. The old one was easy to scroll down through the list and find what your after, and comments/questions/replies were visible. I purchased my 6 through the old style and it was so easy, now I don't bother even trying to look through it.

And you must find it easier Kev as you also sold yours through the old style one?

supercharged China gti6 - Thu 16th Sep 1999 - sold
2010 megane rs250
Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:25
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #4
m306 wrote:

And you must find it easier Kev as you also sold yours through the old style one?

I was waiting for someone else to boil the kettle LOL

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:26
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #5
    Was much easier to browse through as a list, like the forums are. Could see what was newest, at a quick browse on the off chance that something took your fancy.

They don't have dates on the adverts so you have no idea if it is a fresh advert or a month old.

• Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:29
    khj100

Senior User

Post #6
    dangti6 wrote:
    m306 wrote:

I was waiting for someone else to boil the kettle LOL

Laugh

Touche! I never defended against this point, so I'll admit now that I didn't actually realise it had been locked in lieu of the classified section (I thought both were still running). I know everyone wants to think I'm a power-abusing internet whore, but I didn't deliberately post in a locked forum - honest!

But yes, I did secure a random sale from a Portugese member (Hi Nuno!) via the forum Whistle

Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:32
    khj100

Senior User

Post #7
    dangti6 wrote:
    Was much easier to browse through as a list, like the forums are. Could see what was newest, at a quick browse on the off chance that something took your fancy.

They don't have dates on the adverts so you have no idea if it is a fresh advert or a month old.

What about if a new "Cars for Sale" forum was created which simply listed the adverts (in date order) in the same style as a normal forum? But when you click on an entry it took you to the standard classified view?

I think what Ash was trying to avoid was the age-old problem of every For Sale thread turning into a "cool, ur car is mint m8" thread...

If there's support for the above, we can put it forward to Ash for a relatively simple improvement?

Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:34
    m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
    I didn't mean any offence by it Kev, I just thought that like us you found that was easier, better and more successful? I wasn't trying to cause any trouble.

2010 megane rs250
    Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:35
    khj100

Senior User

Post #9
    m306 wrote:
    I didn't mean any offence by it Kev, I just thought that like us you found that was easier, better and more successful? I wasn't trying to cause any trouble.

Don't worry! Causing trouble isn't a problem around here - it seems to be the norm.

And yes, from a usability point of view I would personally agree. A forum style view is easier to navigate (although harder to administer).

Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:37
    m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
    khj100 wrote:
    dangti6 wrote:

What about if a new "Cars for Sale" forum was created which simply listed the adverts (in date order) in the same style as a normal forum? But when you click on an entry it took you to the standard classified view?

I think what Ash was trying to avoid was the age-old problem of every For Sale thread turning into a "cool, ur car is mint m8" thread...

If there's support for the above, we can put it forward to Ash for a relatively simple improvement?

That's a good idea but what about questions? It's helpful sometimes to see that other people are asking useful informative questions about the car for sale. It provides more information than just the advert on its own

2010 megane rs250
    Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:38
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #11
    khj100 wrote:
    dangti6 wrote:

That sounds like a step in the right direction Thumbs up

Old style which people like the look of and was used more often, yet prevents the spam in threads. Good effort.

• Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:39
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #12
    m306 wrote:

That's a good idea but what about questions? It's helpful sometimes to see that other people are asking useful informative questions about the car for sale. It provides more information than just the advert on its own

True, but I think we have to compromise.

What Kev has suggested almost takes us back to how it was, without the spam - which is what promted the change.

It's going to be better than it is now.

• Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:40
    rikky 🦔

Post #13
    i think the answer is to go back to the old style but give the thread starters more control. ability to lock your thread and lock posts. same with project threads. [one of the reasons i ended up deleting mine because it got so much shite put on it]

there's no dates, and the photos also are distorted / perspective is wrong. also nowhere to see bigger previews [or one the china blue one i clicked on there wasn't]

also they're all plain text, can forum code be utilised atall? eg bold etc

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
    306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
    gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
    winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
    Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:46
    simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
    I think the classifieds section the way it is is good BUT if you are selling a car it is only seen if someone is looking for a car in just the same way Autotrader, Pistonheads eBay work ok you pay to advertise on those sites but you get a much larger audience, the old style meant (the likes of myself anyway) may see a sale thread and just buy a car as its there for sale, i know i bought both my black rallyes this way not actually looking for 1 just seen the cheap on here and bought them.

IF there was some way to integrate the current classifieds section that when an add is submitted it is seen in 'Latest Threads' i think it would work very well

All South Wales Members Click Here
    Team Supercharged Black RALLYE ™ (Click Here for Build Project)
    MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:51
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #15
    simonjames wrote:

IF there was some way to integrate the current classifieds section that when an add is submitted it is seen in 'Latest Threads' i think it would work very well

Look at how often a classified advert is posted, and then look at the amount of threads that get posted in, each day. You would be lucky to ever see the For Sale thread in the list as it would soon get pushed off the bottom of the list as it can't be commented on to keep it active and towards the top.

• Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 22:57
    simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
    True didn't actually think that far in too what i was saying, I can see why the old style was locked in favor of the new it used to really p*ss me off when i submitted a sale ad and the silly comments would roll in

All South Wales Members Click Here
    Team Supercharged Black RALLYE ™ (Click Here for Build Project)
    MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 21st Feb 2012 at 23:01
    dan86

Senior User

Post #17
    I think the old way would be best especially with other peoples comments. As mentioned the thread starter should have control over their own for sale thread; ie the ability to just delete any spam/comments. Admin would not have to worry about policing it then. The old for sale template worked well and the author could be told politely to state a price with the aid of other forum members posts. There should be two sections; Gti6 and Rallyes for sale and Other cars for sale. Simples!

Posted 22nd Feb 2012 at 14:56
    swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
    Peugeots for sale section FTW Thumbs up

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
    blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
    Black p3 Love
    Posted 22nd Feb 2012 at 18:01
    woody.

Senior User

Post #19
    I think the old for sale section was good however the spamming ruined quite a few threads. On the other hand, someone could be selling a known lemon and people would add to the sale thread with honest opinions of the car and the buyer could clearly see the car for what it was and steer well clear.

I think what khj100 has suggested is definitely an improvement though, as the current classifieds never gets looked at much IMO. Nice to see stuff changing for the better though, well done admins Thumbs up
    Posted 22nd Feb 2012 at 20:16
    tcrallye

Regular

Post #20
    I agree with the idea of the old for sale section returning. It's difficult though, as said some comments are useful, might be positive or not but can benefit the seller and/or possible buyer and again some comments can be annoying and in no way helpful. The difficulty is whether you should allow the OP to police his own thread, it would be handy for the OP to delete any annoying posts but then again, as pointed out, someone could be giving honest facts about a "lemon" of a vehicle. Also, surely admins job is to police these threads and determine between useful posts and unnecessary ones. What if the thread couldn't be policed by the OP so if honest facts were pointed out the OP couldn't just quickly delete them but instead the OP can report what he believes to be useless and unnecessary posts and then admin can delete if they feel the need.

I apologise if this post is a little scatty, I'm trying to do other work so kinda rushing!!!
    Posted 22nd Feb 2012 at 21:09
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #21
    VW golf Cup

Laugh my ass off

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 14:26
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #22
    I too would support having the old For Sale section returned to service. Yes

A lot of people have asked me about this since I became Admin and I think like Kev says it is a good suggestion to have it put back for the users.
    The OP policing their own thread would also be a good idea.

Seeing as this is 306gti6.com, I would however disagree with the suggestion of re-opening Other Cars For Sale, keeping it Peugeot would make it simpler to implement and tidy from unwanted clutter. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 16:33
    bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
    +1 for Peugeots for sale and Other cars for sale.

Cherry Red 306 HDI
    Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
    Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 16:47
    dan86

Senior User

Post #24
    Nothing wrong with having an 'other cars for sale section, just as long as people are paying members. It would keep the 'clutter' all in one place and if you didn't want to see it then you wouldn't look at it.

Posted 24th Feb 2012 at 07:31
    anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
    Agreed with other cars for sale for paying memebers only.

--This prevents randoms turning up and abusing it.

--It allows paying members to get more out of their subsciption.

And lets face it, I think if we didnt have other cars for sale people would advertise in the peugeots for sale section. Which introduces more work to admin to remove them. As seen in the current new classified section.

Its definatley worth considering in my opinion.
    Posted 24th Feb 2012 at 17:16

Pages (2): [1] 2