displaying posts 626 to 650 of 685

Pages (28): first .. 25 [26] 27 .. last

Author Subject: FAO Forum Haters
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #626
stan_306gti6 wrote:
ian7675 wrote:
I'm waiting for the threads: "Too many Admin", "Admin too strict" and "admin, stop moving/deleting things" LOL

And the irony is, you all wanted more Admin, as you felt there wasn't any! LOL

(Despite Kev and Jim regularly browsing the forums and doing a decent job IMO...Yes)

Stan, I was being very ironic LOL The point being, you can't please everyone all the time, only some people some of the time. Thumbs up

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:18
jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #627
ian7675 wrote:
stan_306gti6 wrote:
ian7675 wrote:
I'm waiting for the threads: "Too many Admin", "Admin too strict" and "admin, stop moving/deleting things" LOL

And the irony is, you all wanted more Admin, as you felt there wasn't any! LOL

(Despite Kev and Jim regularly browsing the forums and doing a decent job IMO...Yes)

Stan, I was being very ironic LOL The point being, you can't please everyone all the time, only some people some of the time. Thumbs up

I dont get if Stan genuinely doesnt get when people are joking, or if I dont get when he is joking. Theres been a few times where he has rolled eyes at me when I made obvious jokes, even though most of the time I dont joke and am serious.
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:21
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #628
I agree totally, I can never tell Dunno

Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:22
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #629
billyboy99 wrote:
ian7675 wrote:
Another abuse report added in the last half hour.....why? Dunno

It was blatantly Stan

Nope Naiwick has just paid up and is expressing himself.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:23
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #630
jsoulman wrote:
I dont get if Stan genuinely doesnt get when people are joking, or if I dont get when he is joking. Theres been a few times where he has rolled eyes at me when I made obvious jokes, even though most of the time I dont joke and am serious.

We played poker with him while overtaking him on the pug run if you remember, very good player.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:25
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #631
jsoulman wrote:

I guess I can keep you on your guard better then. Smile

(And as for getting jokes, I wasn't born yesterday.) LOL

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:25
jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #632
But sometimes I think I have genuinely upset you then I feel upset because I didnt mean to..
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:27
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #633
stan_306gti6 wrote:
jsoulman wrote:

I guess I can keep you on your guard better then. Smile

(And as for getting jokes, I wasn't born yesterday.) LOL

Stan's got all angles covered there. Told you he was a good poker player.

Joint Kent Leader

billyboy99

Seasoned Pro

Post #634
Is agree, Stan is just VERY diplomatic or he really doesn't have a sense of humour, plus he looks like he is taking a dump in his engine bay in his avi
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #635
billyboy99 wrote:
plus he looks like he is taking a dump in his engine bay in his avi

He's expressing himself.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:28
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #636
jsoulman wrote:
But sometimes I think I have genuinely upset you then I feel upset because I didnt mean to..

Soulman - You haven't managed to upset me yet in the 6 years you've been here...LOL

Anyway, you would know if you did...Banned Whistle

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:28
jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #637
thugpuggin wrote:
billyboy99 wrote:

He's expressing himself.

Actual wee came out from laughing at that! LOL
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:29
tcrallye

Regular

Post #638
jsoulman wrote:
thugpuggin wrote:
billyboy99 wrote:

He's expressing himself.

Actual wee came out from laughing at that! LOL

None of this fake shit!

EDIT: Hey, I thought "shit" would be filtered?
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:42
jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #639
What you saying? I genuinely have bladder problems..
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 20:43
sharvey44

Senior User

Post #640
billyboy99 wrote:
So we cannot freely express ourselves anymore?

No. But you can still pleasure yourself. That will never be taken away.

Ph2.5 Nile - Slowly trying to de-East London it and restore to former glory...
Built on the 9 Febuary 1999 - Tuesday's car..is full of pace? Wink

Currently looking slightly molested due to some c*nt trying to get into it.. Sad

According to the forum Social Worker, because I work in IT, I am socially retarted..
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 21:16
davewagon

Senior User

Post #641
quote:
prism7guy wrote:

Anyway I don't really think the site has changed at all to be honest. I do think that some more threads should be protected from deletion as they are genuinely useful (certain brake, engine and suspension ones spring to mind). Maybe there should be a Useful Thread section as they often aren't FAQs as such.

I'm also in favour of keeping useful threads, i have loads of bookmarks of useful threads and now whenever i try to look them up i dont have access anymore, which is annoying as they would have been quite useful.
I can understand why some threads would be deleted over time as some are full of useless info, however some are little goldmines of info.

I don't know the best way of getting round this, maybe something similar to the current report thread thing but where after a few votes it is somehow listed as useful and won't be auto deleted with time?

Seems a shame to lose some really good threads which havent made it to FAQ. Smile

This!

This is a good idea, and something I've thought about before:
A useful and maybe a useless button?

1) If a thread receives say 5x 'useful' votes, its' Time To Live clock gets halted and it is earmarked for review by admin?
Once a week/fortnight/month, admin review the threads briefly and either agree or disagree whether it should be saved, ticks a box and hey presto, the thread is saved (it could maybe stay where it was (wheels, engine, projects ect) but a shortcut or secondary link is created in a new sub section under FAQs so we can all easily browse through?

2) Likewise, a thread receives 5x 'useless' votes, it gets earmarked for review and the admins get round to a mass delete every now and then (these could be for threads which are badly outdated, simply had no answers (or answers of merit) or could have been easily avoided had the OP just looked/searched for 30 seconds!!

I know the TTL would eventually get these threads, but this way the onus is on us to help maintain the site by bringing tripe to the attention of active Admin, a sort of hoover up as you go mentality, and help de-clutter the site in weekly chunks. I imagine unnecessary threads get started at a greater rate than the TTL is killing them?

Like I say the onus is on us to responsibly flag a thread, I know I would definitely take the 3 seconds to vote either way on a thread (and i know others would too) as there is nothing more annoying of having to trudge through nonsense when searching for that technical answer, and likewise, I worry that genuinely useful threads (that are wrapped up with no need for further posts) are going to be lost?!

There would have to be some rules, like say only technical topics/information should initially be saved (just to save 'Epic Lolz' or 'newb bashing' threads from getting saved forever as useful) and maybe reject threads where there is widely accepted information that supersedes (SP?) it - but I'll leave that to better minds

3) Can we somehow save or PDF photos that are attached to FAQ threads, what happens if Phillipm or any other member with handy "how to's" and photos, deletes their photobucket, a FAQ will then show a load of broken links and become almost useless?

4) We could maybe just save a load of time now and delete every 'Wanted', 'Parts for sale', 'Parts Bin' or 'I Spy' thread over say 12 months old, they're almost certainly not necessary now and would free up a chunk of clutter??

Wow, that turned out to be quite an essay, nevermind

Dave

Team: Moonstone GTI-6
Team: Working air-con™

ian7675 wrote:
Remember....a 6 isn't just a car, it's a part time job Thumbs up
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 21:35
khj100

Senior User

Post #642
Thats a great idea Dave.

For reference, AFAIK the FAQ forum has a far, far longer TTL than any other forum. It comes down to moving useful threads into there as efficiently as possible.

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 21:43
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #643
This is great, there's LOADS of admin online now Whistle

Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 22:09
sharvey44

Senior User

Post #644
khj100 wrote:

Good point Owain. It's been suggested and is in the development pipeline already - along with the idea of "thread ghosting" that whenever an entire thread is deleted or moved, a ghost stub remains in the original forum explain why it was moved.

To those who feel they missed out without Snoopy's presence: I deleted them as it made what was had been a relatively productive thread into difficult-to-read rubbish. I would apologise, but I'm not actually sorry so... ummm...

I wasn't going to bite but alas..

Contrary to popular belief this thread has achieved nothing of any relative productivity.

You stated earlier that as an admin you were pretty powerless. Now we have two extra..woop. They have the same level of power that has already been proven to achieve nothing.

The boss appeared after 6 months told everyone this was his gaff..like it or lump it.. and now will probably disappear for another 6 months.

As existing admin you lot have been pretty poor of late.. Until now. You’ve got a couple of new mates to show off to by deleting, admittedly random, posts. The amount of shite that’s been ignored since the new site appeared is staggering but that one obviously was a step too far.

Saying you didn’t know the “cars for sale” section was locked is complete shite. Everyone knew it was locked. You abused it. Just admit it. Again thats pretty poor form.

No doubt this will either be consored or I'll be censored. If i am fair enough, I'll take my £20 back. If I'm not banned for the above opinion then I look forward to seeing plenty of the good suggestions made over the past year implemented sometime in the future..

Ph2.5 Nile - Slowly trying to de-East London it and restore to former glory...
Built on the 9 Febuary 1999 - Tuesday's car..is full of pace? Wink

Currently looking slightly molested due to some c*nt trying to get into it.. Sad

According to the forum Social Worker, because I work in IT, I am socially retarted..
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 23:02
heidi6

Regular

Post #645
sharvey44 wrote:

Contrary to popular belief this thread has achieved nothing of any relative productivity.

You stated earlier that as an admin you were pretty powerless. Now we have two extra..woop. They have the same level of power that has already been proven to achieve nothing.

I dissagree. Granted not a lot will happen over night but a fair shit storm has brewed and some questions have been answered and suggestions implemented. Yes

I live work (to pay) for the 306

Phase 3 Astor. Built on Wednesday, 12th April 2000 in France.

Years of 'Creative Maintenance' mean this car is now much lighter and slightly more 'race' specced... Tee hee
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 23:22
billyboy99

Seasoned Pro

Post #646
well one thing we have established is that kevin hates black american rap stars and white cartoon dogs

but other than that, we have moved forward cos of this thread. so well done everyone...especially owain who someone apparantly appointed VoP, Voice of the People.
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 23:25
ravemercer

Regular

Post #647
I Think its a bummer that older members with potentially useful info and experience cannot post on technical threads, unless they pay this imo doesn't work and isn't helping anyone.

Maybe they should be allowed to post on Technical threads Shock ....

However not allowed to start them. Although newbies may hijack the technicals without paying, they could then be reported to the shiny new admin team to be sorted, allowing the genuine guys willing to help and not have to pay the fiver.

Being able to report users as well as the threads would also weed out the douchebags .

Posted 24th Feb 2012 at 00:21
jimmy_boy

Senior User

Post #648
jsoulman wrote:
When the times comes and someone needs help they will pay the money for sure! The only reason I havent paid is because I know how to work on my own car and ive got enough info from all the years I have been here.l

I don't think this is the correct attitude. You take years of knowledge from the technical forums and network with others so share information via this website but then decide not to contribute anything back?

I believe many of us donated money to Ash to help with hosting years before membership was even considered.

I'm not asking or suggesting that people pay for membership - just that if you've had £5 worth of assistance since originally registering then why not give something back?

Not everybody's ethos though I understand.

GTI-6 & Rallye

Rallye gets sideways in the wet at Snetterton Ninja
Posted 26th Feb 2012 at 23:38
jimmy_boy

Senior User

Post #649
sharvey44 wrote:
I wasn't going to bite but alas..

The boss appeared after 6 months told everyone this was his gaff..like it or lump it.. and now will probably disappear for another 6 months.

As existing admin you lot have been pretty poor of late.. Until now. You’ve got a couple of new mates to show off to by deleting, admittedly random, posts. The amount of shite that’s been ignored since the new site appeared is staggering but that one obviously was a step too far.

Saying you didn’t know the “cars for sale” section was locked is complete shite. Everyone knew it was locked. You abused it. Just admit it. Again thats pretty poor form.

No doubt this will either be consored or I'll be censored. If i am fair enough, I'll take my £20 back. If I'm not banned for the above opinion then I look forward to seeing plenty of the good suggestions made over the past year implemented sometime in the future..

1. Your post is quoted by me so it remains fully un-censored.

2. Nobody has ever been banned for giving their non-abusive opinion on here.

3. I believe Kev did nothing wrong in using this forum to advertise his car - he has given more time and effort than most of us to help this place out over the years.

4. You have a very negative outlook on this forum and as such can only suggest you wait for further suggestions to make their way on to the website.

GTI-6 & Rallye

Rallye gets sideways in the wet at Snetterton Ninja
Posted 26th Feb 2012 at 23:47
tcrallye

Regular

Post #650
jimmy_boy wrote:

3. I believe Kev did nothing wrong in using this forum to advertise his car - he has given more time and effort than most of us to help this place out over the years.

Perk of the job I guess, fair enough. However I agree it proves that the old section out performs the new one and even the admin know this.
Posted 27th Feb 2012 at 17:16

Pages (28): first .. 25 [26] 27 .. last