displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Aerial
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #1
Some c*nt has snapped/removed mine it would seem. I did wonder why I received crap reception the other day...
A price posted would be lovely. Can you beat the price of my local scrap merchant? The game is on...
Posted 11th Feb 2012 at 02:24
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
How much you looking at bud ?

We have lots ?

Regards

Chris
Posted 11th Feb 2012 at 06:35
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #3
I never understand why people buy things like this second hand. The screw-in aerial is £7 from Peugeot and if you need a new base too that's £6. Surely that's cheap enough?!

Rich
Posted 11th Feb 2012 at 09:05
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #4
Hi Rich, I'm sorry to hear of your trouble understanding this. I though it was fairly obvious to be honest, but I'll explain: parts from a dealership are *often* expensive. More to the point, the parts are often *perceived* to be expensive, even without prior knowlege. So people will often head to their local scrap yard or ask on a fourm for the part second hand, without verifying their dealer price assumption.

However, now that you've let me know the price for a new unit, and it's very low, I'll check with my local dealer. Thanks for the information, I don't check Servicebox often due to the above perception of dealer prices. Rest assured, I'll check more often in future.

Would a simple "FYI the parts you're after are 'x' and 'y' brand new from a dealer" have sufficed?
Probably. Smile

Chris, thanks for the offer. I'm not even sure which parts I need yet. The vandals have snapped the base unit where it hinges and I don't know if this can be replaced without taking the aerial wire out through the headlining etc. I really hope it can. I may well pop down to my local dealer, but I'll let you know. Thumbs up
Posted 12th Feb 2012 at 11:20
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
tompaltridge wrote:
Hi Rich, I'm sorry to hear of your trouble understanding this. I though it was fairly obvious to be honest, but I'll explain: parts from a dealership are *often* expensive. More to the point, the parts are often *perceived* to be expensive, even without prior knowlege. So people will often head to their local scrap yard or ask on a fourm for the part second hand, without verifying their dealer price assumption.

However, now that you've let me know the price for a new unit, and it's very low, I'll check with my local dealer. Thanks for the information, I don't check Servicebox often due to the above perception of dealer prices. Rest assured, I'll check more often in future.

Would a simple "FYI the parts you're after are 'x' and 'y' brand new from a dealer" have sufficed?
Probably. Smile

Chris, thanks for the offer. I'm not even sure which parts I need yet. The vandals have snapped the base unit where it hinges and I don't know if this can be replaced without taking the aerial wire out through the headlining etc. I really hope it can. I may well pop down to my local dealer, but I'll let you know. Thumbs up

No worrie bud

Whe have a few and if needed could prob get the wire base ariel etc I needed Thumbs up
Posted 12th Feb 2012 at 11:24
smithers

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Pretty sure the wire diconnects from the base - unclip your interior light and have a gander. Thumbs up
oh did you know these parts are reasonably priced from the dealer Whistle

1997 Black GTi6
smithers205 at hotmail.com
Posted 12th Feb 2012 at 11:54
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #7
smithers wrote:
Pretty sure the wire diconnects from the base - unclip your interior light and have a gander. Thumbs up
oh did you know these parts are reasonably priced from the dealer Whistle

Good I was hoping that was the case, I'm going to have a look soon. And wash it to get all the salt off. Hate this time of year. Dry

Yeah I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the parts are cheap from the dealer... LOL
Posted 12th Feb 2012 at 13:24
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #8
tompaltridge wrote:

Which is exactly why you should look at the cost of new items before looking for second hand ones. There are people around who will quite happily sell you parts for (often far) more than they are actually worth simply because you don't know any better. Community spirit usually goes right out of the window when people can turn a quick profit.

But no worries, next time I won't say anything and I'll let you buy second hand parts for more than what new ones would cost Thumbs up

Rich
Posted 12th Feb 2012 at 13:28
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Rich E wrote:
I never understand why people buy things like this second hand. The screw-in aerial is £7 from Peugeot and if you need a new base too that's £6. Surely that's cheap enough?!

Glad you said this it saved me doing it.
And then you know you will get a perfect reception,I had to buy one from pug as my signal was shit.

I see all sorts of these type of small items been sold on e bay second hand for double what the dealer sells them new for.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 12th Feb 2012 at 14:52