displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: stripped cars
mcfc1987

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Morning all. how much is the ride height effected by stripping the interior? Hopefully keeping my rallye and getting it track ready this summer.
Need to still be able to do the odd trip in it so i'm going to go for the recommended suspension mods of B8's, eibach pro springs, rebuilt rear beam and hybrid arb and solid rear mounts to start off with.

just wanted to know if i did all that and removed the interior would the car then sit higher and need another torsion bar adjustment to get the height a little lower.

Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 07:17
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Yep defantly will be higher once you all stripped best to set that torsion bar a set lower saves doing it twicr

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 07:52
mcfc1987

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Think ill strip it first. fit the fronts then do the rear

Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 08:24
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Can't see it making the blindest bit of difference tbh, the spline adjustment is only accurate to about 10mm anyway; rear seats weigh very little.

In saying that, it only takes an hour to get all the rear stripped so you might as well just strip it first anyway.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 08:33
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
owain wrote:
Can't see it making the blindest bit of difference tbh, the spline adjustment is only accurate to about 10mm anyway; rear seats weigh very little.

Please explain this comment a bit better. The rear beam can be set to any height you desire in increments of around 1mm!?

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 08:53
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
allanallen wrote:
Please explain this comment a bit better. The rear beam can be set to any height you desire in increments of around 1mm!?

The splines can yes, but those don't translate to 1mm increments in ride height; if you measured the arch heights on a true flat surface with even loading of the car, you'll find the two sides aren't exactly the same, but within 10mm is considered close enough to not make a difference.

It may be 1mm difference at the splines, but the wheels aren't centred at the spline ends, they're at the end of the trailing arms; therefore any change at the splines is multiplied by the time it gets to the wheels.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 08:56
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
^Knows his stuff, Owen does!
Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 09:00
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
There are differing amounts of splines at either end of the torsion bars which give a vernier effect. You can hold the trailing arm at any height you desire and spin the bars until they go in. This allows you to set the ride height very accurately. The fact that the torsion bar is at the opposite end of the trailing arm to the wheel doesn't make any difference whatsoever.
If you use a dummy shock both sides of the car can be set identically.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 09:21
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #9
allanallen wrote:
There are differing amounts of splines at either end of the torsion bars which give a vernier effect. You can hold the trailing arm at any height you desire and spin the bars until they go in. This allows you to set the ride height very accurately. The fact that the torsion bar is at the opposite end of the trailing arm to the wheel doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

This is the best method of doing it, as you say it can be done very accurately using this method. This was the way mine was done. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 09:25
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
tis the way I do all of them, never done it any other way Smile

all the beams I've done have been within 5mm.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 12:27
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
allanallen wrote:

The very way i did mine. Like WP mine was within 5mm when finished.Yes

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 13:51