displaying posts 26 to 37 of 37

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: mantis waterless car cleaner/detailer/was
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Hopefully will arrive by the weekend, I need to get back into washing my own car again. Then once a month il have it polished as i dont do that shit myself anymore Smile
Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 15:17
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Lazy arse!! I spend 3 hours a week on mine LOL

Full wash and wax, I only use the mantis stuff if the car is slightly soiled. I can't stand a dirty car it does my head in!!

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 30th Jan 2012 at 15:20
jakeypoo

Regular

Post #28
To be honest, if it's breaking down the dirt, then it must be having some affect on the wax as well! Plus a waterless wash is always going to scratch as your dragging dirt across the car. When I wash my car, I dry most of the water with a microfiber, then spray it with meguiars last touch detailing spray diluted right down, removes all water marks and gives a spot free finish!

IMO there's no such thing as a waterless wash that doesn't damage the paintwork. What wax are you using? I take it that it's a liquid/paste wax? A hard wax such as autoglym hd, petes 53 or a good sealant such as fk1000p will need a good 2/3 coats and offer more than adequate protection so it will only need to be washed.
Posted 31st Jan 2012 at 09:19
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Back to basics ... Wash a car with any chemical (shampoo or cleaner) and it will break down dirt and wax. Wiping a cloth over an unwaxed surface will scratch the paint work. Soaps and cleaners do suspend dirt in water but they do not keep dirt from sratching a surface once wiped with a cloth ...

Using a soft split end brush hose attachment and hose (mains pressure) removes the dirt whilst leaving the wax. The dirt still scratches the surface (although considerably less with a water brush than a cloth) as above but the paint is still protected by wax. Water on wax is hydrophobic and beads lifting the dirt away from the wax. You get less watermarks left on a wax surface so no need to towel down (which also removes wax). Finish with a light wax which replaces any lost wax in the brushing process.

Credit to Dan for the above advice ... his Sedan speaks volumes for everything said here.

Twice a year at the end of Winter (to remove salts) and Summer (to remove tar) remove the wax with cleaning products and claybar & polish to remove chemical deposits which have chemically bonded and burn pin holes into the paint.

A harder layering wheel wax along the front bonnet and forward facing surfaces and wheel arches reduces stone chips considerably.
Posted 31st Jan 2012 at 10:13
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Not single scratch has occurred since using this product. as said it gives a deep shine finish. I rarely use it other than a freshen up when the car becomes slightly soiled.

When spring comes the car will be mopped polished waxed and sealed.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 31st Jan 2012 at 11:21
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
It doesnt look like something I'd be convinced about trying. It would be interesting to try this on a swirl free panel as my money would be on it leaving swirls after use.

If you are using a polish/wax along the lines of autoglym super resin for example it will be filling/masking the swirls but I'd be willing to bet if you put an Led light over it you'll see them.

I dont get why people polish/wax their car every week, it doesnt build layers anywhere near to the extent people seem to think, if anything you are removing the bottom layer when applying a fresh one. Use a good quality polish/wax and it should be fine for at least a few months just washing and lightly drying with a good microfibre.

Ryan
Posted 31st Jan 2012 at 12:12
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Thought I would give the scratch remover a whirl after watching the ad as I have a couple of fine ones.
Posted 31st Jan 2012 at 12:18
rob_humphrey

Regular

Post #33
The best stuff by a merry mile is dodo juice red mist. Its a speed detailer im like you i clean mine car everytime i drive it basically no matter what the weather it gets polished at least twice a week lol . But red mist is the best by far then give it a layer of dodo juice supernatural wax mate Thumbs up

Team Moonstone Big grin

Team Working Aircon
Posted 22nd Feb 2012 at 19:17
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
I rather like Finish Kare FK425 as a quick detailer, smells lovely too! Doesn't last very long, maybe 4 or 5 washes, but its only £6 for a spray bottle or even more of a bargain for larger amounts!

Used to use HD wax too but switched to Finish Kare FK1000p sealant, the wax went too soft in the Summer for my liking but it gave the sigma paint an incredible depth. The FK1000p is great for wheels too, really good all round product and I only paid about £17 for a tin. Collinite #476 is good for a nice hard coat too, great to prevent stone chips and light scratching.

Jakeypoo FYI, sealant/wax depth was tested with a variety of products when layering and it was found that multiple layers in one session didn't really add a thicker coating of it, but going over twice meant you got any spots you missed the first time round. Not many products seem to like high building.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 22nd Feb 2012 at 19:35
rob_humphrey

Regular

Post #35
Honestly cwspellowe try Dodo Juice Supernatural wax its amazing long last protection and the best shine out of any product ive ever used

Team Moonstone Big grin

Team Working Aircon
Posted 22nd Feb 2012 at 21:36
danvtr_9

Senior User

Post #36
Id never use a waterless wash on any car I owned. I'd always use the 2 bucket method.

1997 - Black GTI-6 - Sold
1999 - Nile DT - Sold
Rallye/Gti-6 - Wanted
Posted 23rd Feb 2012 at 11:35
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Surely unless you jetwash with water 1st then you will end up markubg the paintwork with all the grit over the car. Thumbs down IMO

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 27th Feb 2012 at 19:54

Pages (2): 1 [2]