displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Project Shady (Slow Burner, wordy...)
heidi6

Regular

Post #1
So here I find myself. I recently purchased a Manstone '6, low miles, pretty tidy and well cared for my Mrs. She didn't want the car (read didn't get a look in) and although a faultless drive it was like sleeping with a nun, safe secure, redeeming but ultimately not lob on material.

Along came a man called jamesgti6. He had an Astor that looked like this (sorry for nicking your photo's matey)

Young James decided that the dark side wasn't for him. I saw this 'slag' of a car and fancied a bit of rough. She looked like a goer. Cue a couple of saucy pm's and some 'wife swap' photo's and I find myself (wife and child in tow) in a cold Harvester car park outside of Bristol. Donned with sheepskinned coat and flat cap I eagerly await the arrival of my new friend.

Now while either car is not particularly rough, its six of one and half a dozen of another (no pun intended LOL ). So a deal is done and although my 10 month old daughter did her best to peel the plastic off the dash in the Manstone with an almighty turd, James walked (drove) away a happy man. So did I. Let the fun begin...

I live work (to pay) for the 306

Phase 3 Astor. Built on Wednesday, 12th April 2000 in France.

Years of 'Creative Maintenance' mean this car is now much lighter and slightly more 'race' specced... Tee hee
Posted 29th Jan 2012 at 10:28
heidi6

Regular

Post #2
So, why project shady?

Just for the record... This is in no way a bad reflection on the chap (James) that I brought it from. He was unaware of most of this.

When looking online for insurance, there are no details on this number plate, but it is on the database. Looking through its docks, on a Genuine Pug invoice it says 'imported vehicle'

Its a W-reg yet has Phase 2 seats, original CD autochanger but no steering coloumn control. Also all original MOT's and history, mileage is correct but the clocks are not GTI6 as no oil temp gauge and redline at 6250rpm. Also there is no utrasonics sensor on the coloumn shroud?

I've got some digging to do. However it goes well, appears to have been lowered and is going to have the following in the next few weeks:

Braided brakelines
Mintex Pads
Full Service
Solid Rear Beam Mounts and few other track bits.

Watch this space (every few weeks...)

Years of 'Creative Maintenance' mean this car is now much lighter and slightly more 'race' specced... Tee hee
Posted 29th Jan 2012 at 10:50
heidi6

Regular

Post #3
So after driving the old girl 300 odd miles a week at the min it has become clear that something is not happy. The power steering pump is a whiner and the aux pulleys don't look too good either. So, its off with the old...

And on with the new (cheers eddygti6 for P/S pump and Rich W for pulley's)Cool ...

Shame to tuck them out of the way like that. Next thing I buy from Rich will be a supercharger kit if the workmanship on the pulley's is owt to go by. Hmm

While I was there I slapped in a set of davidmartin's finest

Interestingly the plugs that came out were genuine Pug but only one prong on the end. Also were bloody lose. Feels nicer knowing its not just the coil packs holding them in now. LOL

Service next week I think. Sorry its nowt exiting but don't want to peak too soon. Thumbs up

Posted 24th Feb 2012 at 21:28
heidi6

Regular

Post #4
heidi6 wrote:
... is going to have the following in the next few weeks:

Braided brakelines
Mintex Pads
Full Service

Hmm Think this list may be a wishlist after the 'To Do' list...LOL

Posted 24th Feb 2012 at 21:34
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Happy To help mate Thumbs up

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 24th Feb 2012 at 21:41
eddiebeano

Senior User

Post #6
heidi6 wrote:
So, why project shady?

Just for the record... This is in no way a bad reflection on the chap (James) that I brought it from. He was unaware of most of this.

When looking online for insurance, there are no details on this number plate, but it is on the database. Looking through its docks, on a Genuine Pug invoice it says 'imported vehicle'

Its a W-reg yet has Phase 2 seats, original CD autochanger but no steering coloumn control. Also all original MOT's and history, mileage is correct but the clocks are not GTI6 as no oil temp gauge and redline at 6250rpm. Also there is no utrasonics sensor on the coloumn shroud?

I've got some digging to do. However it goes well, appears to have been lowered and is going to have the following in the next few weeks:

Braided brakelines
Mintex Pads
Full Service

hi! my car is exactly the same! wrong clocks, no steering column control, no button on the shrowd etc. My car was an import from cycprus, owned by an army general.

Ed

team: Stealth Ninja
Posted 4th Mar 2012 at 23:28