displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: fooked rear calipers (cheapest supplier)
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
both my rear calipers have snapped nipples and i have been unsuccesful in their removal Sad i was able to get the snapped nipples out the fronts out so its not all doom and gloom.

sods law would make it so the two rear calipers on my crashed gti were fooked and the fronts were fine Sad
anyways i removed my rears on my new car in anticipatiuon of some new calipers this payday.

so i need 2 new ones. where can i get a new set the cheapest? id rather not fook around with second hand ones or recond ones as im fed up of knobbing bleed nipples that have been left uncapped and have seized.

any help would be appreciated

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 23rd Jan 2012 at 18:41
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
iv found easiest solution is second hand calipers am afraid

But if you know someone who is handy at removing old nipples, re-tapping the thread and replacing the nipple you are in luck ; but theres downtime involved taking old caliper off and getting this done?

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 24th Jan 2012 at 11:30
rikky 🦔

Post #3
russbez wrote:
But if you know someone who is handy at removing old nipples

jsoulman Unsure

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 24th Jan 2012 at 11:43
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
LOL

My Rallye project thread
Posted 24th Jan 2012 at 11:45
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I got some recon ones off ebay for £57 each and if you send your old ones back they will refund £15 per caliper for a net cost of £42 each which is not a whole lot more than second hand ones. They looked like new when I got them and the service was excellent. I'll see if I can find the seller and post it up here, but if you search on ebay under 'Peugeot 306 rear calipers' you'll find them.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 24th Jan 2012 at 16:40
darzmat

Senior User

Post #6
i got reconditioned ones from dingbro (motor factors) got a surcharge of £30 each. returned my old pair that were knackered and got the surcharge back. cant remmeber how much they were tho. around about £60 i think

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 24th Jan 2012 at 17:41
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
You not drill an tap for a larger nipple? I done that on my old 6

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 24th Jan 2012 at 20:03
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
one of my rears has a silly large nipple on it, other side looks tiny compared to it LOL

My Rallye project thread
Posted 25th Jan 2012 at 09:51
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
yeah tbh recons seem the best. cheapest option. thanks for the info

it was either that or a product called "nipple therapy" no joke Razz which consists of a special stepped drill, tap and 6 new inserts. this was 78 quid..... so probably around/just over the same price as recons. only bonus with this is a satisfaction of doing it myself and not worrying about the same problem the in future as i should have 4 inserts left over spare (or charge my mates when they inevitably do the same).

atm though it seems like the police officer wants to take my license over my crash. i may not have one in a month and may not need my gti working asap. if so its staying as a project car and getting stripped down and more extensively modified than i had planned. i may aswell just say a big f*ck you to society/the law and get a mini moto and a nos kit for "personal transport".

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 26th Jan 2012 at 19:25
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Get re-cons,new seals all h/brake mech greased up etc thenThumbs up

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 2nd Feb 2012 at 14:58
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
mik wrote:
I got some recon ones off ebay for £57 each and if you send your old ones back they will refund £15 per caliper for a net cost of £42 each which is not a whole lot more than second hand ones. They looked like new when I got them and the service was excellent. I'll see if I can find the seller and post it up here, but if you search on ebay under 'Peugeot 306 rear calipers' you'll find them.

Found the details. Car Factors UK and here is one of their listing on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370533027860?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I bought a pair of these and they are good - carriers not included though so I'll have to strip and paint up my rusty ones...

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd Feb 2012 at 15:10