displaying posts 26 to 50 of 67

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: Slow 6?
JoeyD

Regular

Post #26
m306 wrote:
well look at the numbers, book time is a laughable 8.5, most people say the actual time is about 7.2 so if yours does 7.5 then its pretty much what they should be, 6.6 however is a fair bit quicker, thats bmw 330ci quick so beyond what you could expect from a standard 6

Yeah, that's Peugeot for you though! Did the same with the 106 GTI which was much faster than book time!

musclebeach wrote:
Well if you look after that like i'm sure you will mate, you won't have any big issues, when you planning on whipping it back down to Carl to do the belt? His prices are really good considering the quality of work he does!

Bought the lightened crankshaft pulley off him too!
Loved the photos you took of it anyway on cliosport website, looked fantastic! Just glad someone's going to keep looking after it!

Possibly summer time as I think 30/35k is probably starting to push it with 306 cambelt!
Might have to take your advice and go for a lightened Flywheel to go with that pulley too - it'd be rude not to really...

Oh, I know what you mean. I sold my mint 106 to someone who's now putting morettes on it FFS Sad I feel slightly guilty for letting it go actually! lol
The 306 is safe though, don't worry!
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 23:49
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
A car on 45 profiles will be 10% quicker in acceleration over 55 profile - according to Monkeyman, i dont know - he done the math!

But yeah, they are all different.

Like matt has said, his pulls freakishly well. It has the cleanest engine bay ive ever seen and has an oil change every 4k. He does treat it very well but it has lost a fair bit of weight over standard, has a decat and 45 tyres so although it does pull away from mine i am unsure about the real figures until we get on a rolling road.

Mine certainly isnt slow though, i personally would expect the late 6 seconds mark for mine on a 0-60 run.

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 23:51
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
honestly3k wrote:
A car on 45 profiles will be 10% quicker in acceleration over 55 profile - according to Monkeyman, i dont know - he done the math!

wow that is quite alot, no wonder mine clocks up the mileage so quickly then on the 45s

supercharged China gti6 - Thu 16th Sep 1999 - sold
2010 megane rs250
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 00:12
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
m306 wrote:
honestly3k wrote:

wow that is quite alot, no wonder mine clocks up the mileage so quickly then on the 45s

Maybe seems excessive Dunno

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 00:16
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
mattgti6phase2 wrote:
m306 wrote:
honestly3k wrote:

Maybe seems excessive Dunno

not my choice, they came on the car when i got it so thought i might as well use them, they are t1r's and grip well on the b roads. once ive worn them out i will go 50s

2010 megane rs250
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 00:20
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Anyway stop moaning, my Audi acceleration is about 11 seconds.......i had to give up my 7 second car due to this f*cking economy Roll eyes

VW Golf GT TDI 115, 100k nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 00:21
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
musclebeach wrote:
Anyway stop moaning, my Audi acceleration is about 11 seconds.......i had to give up my 7 second car due to this f*cking economy Roll eyes

i feel for you, i drove my meridian over christmas (11.3secs) it felt so slow i thought it was broke. atleast you should be getting much better economy and reliability?

2010 megane rs250
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 00:24
berger

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
10% quicker on the clocks which will be over-reading due to having incorrect tyre profiles.

Bang'in 7 gram rocks!
I have one gear, GO!
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 00:25
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
The whole loses power with ages thing is due to cars.
a) needing a service
b ) sensors and etc on there way out and over/underfuelling.
C) the decat isn't helping if the car hasn't had a remap.
If a car is newly serviced and the sensors in nick if it doesn't make nearly full power (most rollers are out anyway) then something more sinister is at work. Like bores worn a fair bit or something more mechanical

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 11:09
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #35
Was that faster video really filmed on the flat? I've seen it before on Youtube and always wondered, the way it pulls in 3rd gear is basically faster than the top of 2nd. Always thought it seemed a bit too quick personally...
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 11:17
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
Just watched the video, didnt even realise there was a clicky LOL

Its a strange one, the p1 did seem to pull slower through the gears, im sure mine pulls faster through the gears than that.....the p1 almost seems muffled or somethin.

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 11:25
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Anths six kinda lagged like that with his old exhaust, after changing it was as it should be.

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 11:53
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
All about the driver to.

Chris yours couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding LOL

Team Nile 6 Superman
5 x a 306 owner!
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 12:46
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
lewisdmz wrote:
Was that faster video really filmed on the flat? I've seen it before on Youtube and always wondered, the way it pulls in 3rd gear is basically faster than the top of 2nd. Always thought it seemed a bit too quick personally...

I've always thought this, seen it a few times.

Also unless I have read it wrong, maybe do another test without mucking the gear change up? That could easily explain 0.5 of a second?

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 12:59
mrdeey

Regular

Post #40
charge it!

now new booted , boosted and flying again!
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 13:07
thewho07

Regular

Post #41
All depends how its been looked after. My first 6 was a heap, was on 100k, thrashed from cold all its life probably, and was shockingly slow. My 106 gti felt like it had a turbo compared to that one haha. The 6 I have now has been well looked after, standard, full service history, on 103k, and is bloody quick! A mate has a Turbo 2000 Impreza, and the 6 is on par with that up to silly speeds. Another mate had an EP3 Type R and the 6 can keep with that no bother (can't get passed him, but can keep with him!)
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 13:53
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
thewho07 wrote:
All depends how its been looked after. My first 6 was a heap, was on 100k, thrashed from cold all its life probably, and was shockingly slow. My 106 gti felt like it had a turbo compared to that one haha. The 6 I have now has been well looked after, standard, full service history, on 103k, and is bloody quick! A mate has a Turbo 2000 Impreza, and the 6 is on par with that up to silly speeds. Another mate had an EP3 Type R and the 6 can keep with that no bother (can't get passed him, but can keep with him!)

10000000000000000% the same with mine. Glad someone else has this experience Thumbs up

Team Nile 6 Superman
5 x a 306 owner!
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 14:00
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
I've got the same problem with the Rallye I just bought.

It doesnt go too bad but you really have to rev and work it hard to get it going where as my old one (the one in my avatar) is easily the quickest one I have driven out of quite a few. I dont think it's helped by the backbox or filter straight on the end of the Throttle body Tbh but I'd be surprised if changing these gets back what it feels like it's missing.

I'd say Mei has it spot on that the main differences between the engines in a lot of cases will be cam timing, it would explain it with my Rallye as the engine behave's and performs totally different to what I would expect from a good Rs engine. I still havnt had chance to check it but it's on the to do list.

Ryan
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 14:28
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
Cam timing as in being timed incorrectly???

Team Nile 6 Superman
5 x a 306 owner!
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 15:09
JoeyD

Regular

Post #45
It's got a LOT of service history. It's been on this forum for 5 years IIRC and has been well cared for! The last belt change was done at C.G.Cars in Leicester, who seem to be quite reputable? So although I'll check it anyway, I doubt the cam timing is out... I think it's likely to be a lambda, if anything - especially if it's never been changed before; it's on 110k now and has had a decat fitted for some of that.

Could be that zedx19's car is a freakishly quick one, because I've looked at other GTI6 videos on YouTube and mine seems to be more inline with their speed...
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 16:20

Regular

Post #46
I reckon its crappy spark plugs these do make a difference well atleast im my experience, choosing the best sort can be a nightmare, Champion are usually good but not what im running on now Whistle

Aka Manstoner

Aka Clio dumper

Aka PrinceofPeugeot

Aka Decat raspberrys
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 16:33
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #47
123456 wrote:
I reckon its crappy spark plugs these do make a difference well atleast im my experience, choosing the best sort can be a nightmare, Champion are usually good but not what im running on now Whistle

choosing the right ones is a right fooking doddle, NGK bog standards, twin electrode, none of this wasting money on platinum crap.

quite possible the inlet is retarded which would give less mid range torque, meaning slower to pull through the gears.

an engine that screams from 5.5 to 7k is great if you've got short close ratio gears, but you haven't got either particularly.

pop the belt covers off and pin the bottom end (if the pulley hasn't slipped....) and see how far out the cams are.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 18:15
JoeyD

Regular

Post #48
Yeah, just had a PM from Matt saying it could be the inlet timing - I'll check it out as soon as I can. Can the timing be adjusted on the cam gear or am I going to have to whip the belt off and start again?
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 18:26
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
Obviously "crap" spark plugs wont help but there's nothing wrong with a normal Ngk plug or similar as long as they are in good condition and have the correct gap.

With the cam timing I mean just a few degrees not teeth out or anything drastic, it's easily done especially when using substitute pins like drill bits or bolts in the pulleys, I've seen a few engines that run fine but dont time up perfect with proper pins.

Ryan
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 18:37
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
JoeyD wrote:
Yeah, just had a PM from Matt saying it could be the inlet timing - I'll check it out as soon as I can. Can the timing be adjusted on the cam gear or am I going to have to whip the belt off and start again?

As Mei said pin the bottom pulley if it will line up and check to see if the 2 timing holes on the cam pullies line up and can be pinned. If they dont and you need to adjust it you can slacken the pulley (should be 3 10mm's on your ph1) to be able to line it back up without releasing the tension on the belt but after it's back as it should be you will want to completely retension the belt.

Ryan
Posted 22nd Jan 2012 at 18:44

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3