displaying posts 1 to 25 of 67

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: Slow 6?
JoeyD

Regular

Post #1
I've done a bit of a video comparison (which isn't the best place to start due to too many differing factors, I know).
The first video is zedx19's completely standard P2 6 (or rallye?), and the second video is my P1 GTI6 with Magnex catback & PiperX IK.

Video Here.

Now, I know I cocked up the 1st to 2nd gear change, but I timed the videos and mine is 0.2 seconds slower to 20, 0.4 seconds slower to 30, and when both cars have completed the first gear change, my car is 0.2 seconds slower in gear to 60. (overall it's about 1 second slower to 60!)

My question is, what could be causing it not to run at 100%? The only things I can think of, are either a stretched throttle cable meaning WOT isn't achieved, or a lambda playing up? But my MPG seems to be inline with what other 6's achieve (about 25-27mpg) so I doubt it's that, really...
Normally, I wouldn't really be bothered, but you can see there is a clear difference between the two cars (along with my terrible gear change) and mine was shot on a slight decline! On my private track of course.
Or is this just a case of some cars have stronger engines than others?
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 19:37
jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
All down to engine i say, when i had my gti6 it wos faster than 2 of my mates 6,s and we had the same mods just zorst and induction kit

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 19:42
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
+1

I haven't came across a 6 that's quicker than mine either between a few mates that have 6's.

I give mine some shit but at the same time it's very well looked after.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 19:55
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
cam timing.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 20:04
JoeyD

Regular

Post #5
Would that have happened over time, or after a Cambelt change? Last cambelt was done 30K ago at C.G cars in Leicester IIRC.
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 20:09
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #6
To be honest, with such crude measurements I wouldn't worry about a 0.9 second difference to 'speedo 60'

Check the cam timing as Mei says. That will have the most effect on the engine.

Rich
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 20:10
JoeyD

Regular

Post #7
I'm not bothered about pub figures & 0-60 times etc, it just made me wonder if it's all running at 100%, or if something's not quite right.
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 20:13
mjt4130

Regular

Post #8
Z cars in Alborough do rolling road sessions from about 50 quid upwards. Worth doing for peace of mind?
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 20:45
JoeyD

Regular

Post #9
That's an idea, yeah! Not too far from Driffield either...
Only thing is, there can be a lot of difference from rolling road to rolling road - some over read, some under read; so to get a good idea I'd have to take along another 6!
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 20:55
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Big thing is, does it drive well? If it does, and you find it to be 10bhp down on "the rollers" are you gonna be happy chucking money at it to gain the power back?

I'd leave well alone tbh.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 22:18
mjt4130

Regular

Post #11
I m getting my 6 back on the road for spring and would mind a trip down to Z cars. Will let you know when I m heading there.
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 22:19
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I'd say cars naturally lose power as they age too, i bet it's not even making 155bhp if i'm honest.......had regular oil and filter changes and has always been looked after as far as i know. Lambda could be a worthwhile check...

His car was newer than mine too, maybe less miles, less engine wear. It got upto 80 fast enough for me, reckon a rolling road is the best way to see how it's performing.

Just for your info fella it had a brand new official Peugeot throttle cable under my ownership, you should have the receipt for it

Thumbs up

VW Golf GT TDI 115, 100k nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 22:41
JoeyD

Regular

Post #13
These are all good points! I haven't got any receipts to hand at the moment, as the car's in Driffield & I'm in Manchester, but if feels absolutely fine. It does still pull hard etc; I was just wondering if the difference in speed was anything simple that could be worn out & in need of replacement - it's never felt slow by any means! Also, having never driven another 6, I've no reference point, so was just interested to see how others perform.
The only reason I posted up this thread was purely because I've got a list of things I'm wanting to upgrade and replace... I'm certainly not going to go chasing power figures or anything, because I know how expensive N/A tuning can get (and for relatively small gains!)

I'll check out the Lambda, and have a poke around to see if anything's not quite right... but it could just be the fact that it's old, like you say Chris.

mjt, That sounds like a good idea, keep me posted Smile
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 22:52
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Same profile tyres? Not sure if there's measurable difference between 55's and 50's?

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 22:53
JoeyD

Regular

Post #15
Ah, another factor! That's why I've taken the difference in the videos with a pinch of salt. I'm running 50 profiles, not sure on the first video though...
However, the smaller the profile, the quicker the acceleration would appear to be, no?
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 22:54
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
It's a pretty old car fella but you'll struggle to find something as reliable as that which does 0-60 in a shade over 7 seconds, with no nasty surprises etc....

I bet tyre profile's would make the tiniest difference....you probably wouldn't even tell the difference i reckon.

Oh and just one more thing, be interesting to hear if Zed had an air intake at all?
Yours has a foam cone doesn't it, Could try giving it a good clean out and oil too with the correct filter oil.
Plus i wonder if the air filter is getting cool enough air where it's located, can't

You could de-cat it Joey.....it had one on when i bought it, popped and backfired nicely!

Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 22:59
JoeyD

Regular

Post #17
I've been looking at decats, actually - do you still have it? lol
Errm, it's semi-enclosed I think? Doesn't have the cold air feed on the end. Might try out a standard box with just a panel filter - I've never really felt a performance increase with induction kits, they just seem to make more noise!

I'll give it a good service to start with - it can only help matters!
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 23:04
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Yeah my Mini i had roared, 998cc, when i first had it on i couldn't get above 50mph it was sucking in so much air! New carb needle needed which KP Motorsport fitted and then rolling roaded LOL

No sorry champ i don't, sold it....they do make a difference though, only trouble is they do tend to put stress on the rest of the exhaust system i found, especially the backbox, think i blew out the baffles on the previous exhaust going from memory haha

Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 23:09
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
mine is standard except Rich W pulleys and flywheel and does it in the standard 7secs but i think zedx19's is still quicker but doesn't really bother me. if it pulls well and runs nicely i wouldn't worry about it

supercharged China gti6 - Thu 16th Sep 1999 - sold
2010 megane rs250
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 23:13
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
musclebeach wrote:
I bet tyre profile's would make the tiniest difference....you probably wouldn't even tell the difference i reckon.

i notice a big difference between 45s and 55s, when i say big i mean bigger than you'd expect. it over reads on the lower profiles giving the impression of going faster than you are

2010 megane rs250
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 23:16
JoeyD

Regular

Post #21
I always wanted an old Mini! Never could find one that wasn't completely rotten though Sad
Ah, never mind - They're relatively cheap anyway from what I've seen, I'll try one out.

Oh yeah, it runs fine! I was just unsure if there was anything simple worth checking that could be the cause - I'm not particularly bothered by it being slower
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 23:18
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
JoeyD wrote:
Oh yeah, it runs fine! I was just unsure if there was anything simple worth checking that could be the cause - I'm not particularly bothered by it being slower

well it looks the same as mine and mines a 99 ph3 on 74k, and in last 6 months had lots of work done so id say yours seems fine, its not age or mileage causing you any problems. if anything i think zedx19's is surprisingly quicker than standard

2010 megane rs250
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 23:23
JoeyD

Regular

Post #23
That's reassuring! I guess his is just a freakishly well built engine from the factory... Seems to happen a lot with RS Clios too - you get very strong ones and very weak ones amongst the average ones.
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 23:31
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
well look at the numbers, book time is a laughable 8.5, most people say the actual time is about 7.2 so if yours does 7.5 then its pretty much what they should be, 6.6 however is a fair bit quicker, thats bmw 330ci quick so beyond what you could expect from a standard 6

2010 megane rs250
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 23:37
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Well if you look after that like i'm sure you will mate, you won't have any big issues, when you planning on whipping it back down to Carl to do the belt? His prices are really good considering the quality of work he does!

Bought the lightened crankshaft pulley off him too!
Loved the photos you took of it anyway on cliosport website, looked fantastic! Just glad someone's going to keep looking after it!

Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 23:39

Pages (3): [1] 2 3