displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Cam timing advance
b11 bob Banned!

Post #1
How do you set cam timimg to slightly advanced for inlet and do you go slightly retard for exhaust cam ? This topic has been covered before but it seems everyonrs got a theory/opinion on it yet no one really knows.
If we have everythind as standard ie pins in both cam pullys and a pin in the bottom pully from the block.So if i do the above how to i advance the timing for advancing the inlet and would it be feasable to retard the exhaust the cams in question are Kent pt 80's.
Ive done a dummy run on a standard head gasket and had valve clearance thats with having the head skimmed to the last notch due to this i have put in a 1.55 mmm head gasket .Kent say these cams need to be 110 degrees but i havnt got a clue on how to do this. Can anyone on here tell me how to set these based on relation to cam pullys and bottom pully from the block on standard please.1.4/1.7mm tdc 110 degrees dosnt mean anything to me

205 GTI6 235 bhp at 7400 rpm
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 07:40
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
you need a dial gauge and degree wheel.

peak lift angle method http://www.biggles.net/cams.html

lift @ TDC method http://www.alcester-racing-sevens.com/cam_timing.htm

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 10:17
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
How much valve clearance did you have and how did you check it? Dummy build with plasticine? Have a read through the links welsh pug posted and decide which way you want to do it. As I mentioned before I prefer the lift at TDC method, I'm sure Kent list the the measurements on there site to do it this way.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 11:12
b11 bob Banned!

Post #4
allanallen wrote:
How much valve clearance did you have and how did you check it? Dummy build with plasticine? Have a read through the links welsh pug posted and decide which way you want to do it. As I mentioned before I prefer the lift at TDC method, I'm sure Kent list the the measurements on there site to do it this way.
I had between 1mm to 1.5 didnt have a measuring tool with me but i was more concerned about having valve clearance than how much at that stage due to the head being skimmed to its last notch.
Had a look at both welsh pug's links to complicated for me dont have the gauges and not willing to get them and get it wroung unless its a last resort and then id rather pay some engine tuner to do it for me.
Im going to invent my own method into doing the cam timing by setting up both cam pullys and bottom engine pully with the pins in them and then attaching a protractor to the inlet cam pully with the pin in where the pin sits in the cam pully i will have my degrees at 0 that will be at 12 oclock on a clockface then i will turn the cam pully by 2 degrees clockwise untill i have valve to piston contact ill note that figure down say that was at 8 degrees which will tell me that we can all dependant on cam selection and how much the heads been skimmed know how much we can advance out cams by.Dont know whether the above methods feasable or not due to myself not being to clued up on cam timing or engines if it is feasable its got to be a good method. The setting up of the protractor would have to be done by a laser to get true 12 oclock/zero degrees
Your thoughts on the above please

205 GTI6 235 bhp at 7400 rpm
Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 20:37
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
do it properly or dont do it at all Thumbs up

Try using the enter key, it makes reading your posts far easier and more likely to get a response.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Jan 2012 at 20:49