displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: No Power Starting Problems
tom275

Regular

Post #1
First came across the problem when I spent about 2 hours cleaning the car and then realised Id left the ignition on, doh, and the car wouldn't start. Left it turned off though and came back to it about half an hour later and it then started fine.

It then got worse and I couldn't leave the ignition on at all after turning the engine off without causing it problems unless I left it for a while and then started it.

Now in the mornings when I come to start it wont turn over properly, but If hold the key in the starting position the starter motor starts to build up momentum and eventually starts the car, it sounds like a steam train building up speed!!

I had the battery checked by Halfords and it had 60% life, but it did show up an anonymous error normally related to an earth leak apparently. So I think it must be the starter solenoid that isn't charging properly.

Anyone seen this before?
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 15:13
mrdeey

Regular

Post #2
yes mate , had a prob like it on a mates car , conked out miles from anywhere in the end so be warned , turned out one of the earth cables broke off and you could not see it , so the car was trying to find an earth elsewhere , nearly set light to the dash !
check all the earthing points you can find under the bonnet remove clean and inspect for corrosion then retighten

now new booted , boosted and flying again!
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 19:53
tom275

Regular

Post #3
Ahh cheers for the heads up then lol, I'll get that checked out this morning Smile
Posted 14th Jan 2012 at 09:39
tom275

Regular

Post #4
Got out there with the Multimeter at the weekend and the battery seems fine, the alternator is charging it ok. I couldn't seem to get any reading when checking for parasitic drain so I must have been doing something wrong, but through process of elimination it must be that.

Can anyone suggest where I should start :/ I couldn't get to the earth point under the battery, Ive also read about the alarm siren which is the passenger wing, but couldn't see that either!
Posted 16th Jan 2012 at 16:53
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
If you haven't resolved this fault yet, you are best off to run a couple of new earthing straps from the body to the engine and gearbox. Yes

This should solve your issue. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 13th Feb 2012 at 19:38