displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: decompression plate
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #1
i spoke to Ferriday engineering earlier today about a decomp plate, they told me only to use 1 head gasket, between

the head and the plate, surely you would use one either side???

i was seriously considering going down the decomp plate route but, the more i think about it the more im deciding

against it, 2 gaskets and a plate = 3 times as likely to blow

anyone got any views on this?
Posted 11th Jan 2012 at 21:53
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
machine the pistons Smile

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 11th Jan 2012 at 21:55
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #3
again, what are peeps views on this method, i need 1.8 - 2mm shaved off, it worked for turbo technics i guess
Posted 11th Jan 2012 at 22:00
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
get pockets big enough for £900 for budget pistons and rods

Posted 11th Jan 2012 at 22:05
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #5
ha! wondered how long it would be before someone said that!

ive suddenly realised there is no such thing as a budget turbo conversion, especially a 16 valver!!

one thing i want to know is how the feck are people getting away with 300 brake and more through a standard

engine...
Posted 11th Jan 2012 at 22:11
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
who is?? i know the sc boys are doing safely 260. u could use the decomp plate i know the dp has.
http://www.dp-engineering.nl/EN/projects/306_gti_turbo.php

Posted 11th Jan 2012 at 22:20
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
decent mapping Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 11th Jan 2012 at 22:21
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
http://www.dp-engineering.nl/EN/products/decompression/index.php

Posted 11th Jan 2012 at 22:21
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #9
decomp it is then

question is who does the best one, dp or ferriday???
Posted 11th Jan 2012 at 22:25
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #10
welshpug! wrote:
decent mapping Thumbs up

shit loads of ignition retard to stop it knocking its brains out and therefore seriously compromising on power i would

have thought
Posted 11th Jan 2012 at 22:27
nadium

Regular

Post #11
i got the plate from DP- and the headgasket from Rich_W the one they use in the Supercharger cars up to 450bhp
Posted 12th Jan 2012 at 14:52
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
The reason you don't need two HG's with the Ferriday plate is they are made from copper, which is self sealing to a degree.

I would imagine on the block side of the decomp plate a sealing compound is used, and then a HG is used between the decomp plate and cylinder head.

I would go for the DP Engineering plate and use two decent head-gaskets. IMO, you will have a more durable, reliable and more long term solution.

Having three different materials plus a sealing compound (to me) doesn't sound like a good idea given what the joint between a head and a block has to deal with. There's the heat, thermal expansion and compression, severe pressures etc.

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 12th Jan 2012 at 20:38
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #13
rich_w wrote:
The reason you don't need two HG's with the Ferriday plate is they are made from copper, which is self sealing to a degree.

I would imagine on the block side of the decomp plate a sealing compound is used, and then a HG is used between the decomp plate and cylinder head.

I would go for the DP Engineering plate and use two decent head-gaskets. IMO, you will have a more durable, reliable and more long term solution.

Having three different materials plus a sealing compound (to me) doesn't sound like a good idea given what the joint between a head and a block has to deal with. There's the heat, thermal expansion and compression, severe pressures etc.

the ferriday one is aluminium and it comes with non setting sealant for between block and plate.

Are the FAI gaskets that you get from motor factors considered to be good enough? they are MLS, through the

garage we can get them for £26 each which sounds too cheap to me
Posted 12th Jan 2012 at 21:43
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
jsa666 wrote:
rich_w wrote:

the ferriday one is aluminium and it comes with non setting sealant for between block and plate.

Are the FAI gaskets that you get from motor factors considered to be good enough? they are MLS, through the

garage we can get them for £26 each which sounds too cheap to me

I personally would never use their de-compression plate without another HG between the plate and the block.

You just won't get the same sealing ability using a non-setting compound.

For a succussful joint between a head and a block, you need what's called a mechanical seal. This is usually in the form of swaged areas on the gasket around the combustion chamber and fluid paths (this is the raised areas / lines you see on gaskets). The swaging creates areas of increased pressure between the head and the block, and they physically bite together. This is one reason alloy heads always need to be skimmed, as you often get minor indentations in the head where a mechanical seal has been formed.

I've never used an FAI HG, but you get what you pay for, and there's a reason I use the HG's that we supply.

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 09:30
nadium

Regular

Post #15
FTW Rich_W Big grin
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 10:43