displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: snapped bleed nipples, favoured methods of removal?
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
i have managed to wangle myself a gti for dirt cheap because of 4 snapped bleed nipples and brakes in need of serious bleeding. everything else on its fine (minus the tacky wheels, lexus lights and boy racer spoiler which have all been removed)

between applying heat, reverse drilling them out, easy outs, penetratign fluid, impact driver

which combination of each have people found best when tackling this problem?
have i missed any other sneaky ways?

any help/advice would be appreciated

thanks
james

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 8th Jan 2012 at 03:48
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Replace the calipers with a known good set tbh. The fronts you may be able to salvage but the rears will prove tricky. You could try hammering a torx into the shank, but soak it for as long as possible in plus gas first.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 8th Jan 2012 at 08:42
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
don't bother with easy outs or torx bits, get a series of small bits and take it easy, you don't want to damage the seat of the nipple.

use a low speed and lube the bits, work up to about 5.5mm (if the nipple is M7, which it is on the rears, can;t remember on the front) if central you should be able to collapse the remain of the thread in.

god knows how they snapped the fronts, thought they were M10 Shock

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Jan 2012 at 08:54
heidi6

Regular

Post #4
welshpug! wrote:
don't bother with easy outs or torx bits, get a series of small bits and take it easy, you don't want to damage the seat of the nipple.

use a low speed and lube the bits, work up to about 5.5mm (if the nipple is M7, which it is on the rears, can;t remember on the front) if central you should be able to collapse the remain of the thread in.

As above but if all else fail use a helicoil (can get kits the right size). As long as you lube them up it'll never need doing again.

I live work (to pay) for the 306

Phase 3 Astor. Built on Wednesday, 12th April 2000 in France.

Years of 'Creative Maintenance' mean this car is now much lighter and slightly more 'race' specced... Tee hee
Posted 8th Jan 2012 at 13:27
footah212

Senior User

Post #5
tvrfan007 wrote:
You could try hammering a torx into the shank, but soak it for as long as possible in plus gas first.

I tried this and sheared the torx bit in the hole. There is now a peice of chrome vanadium wedged i there forever.

New calipers was the end result. Oh and a new torx bit for my socket set.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi6

PS3 - Black Ops 2

Engine crane for hire Renfrewshire
Posted 9th Jan 2012 at 12:04
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
ive managed to loosen the fronts, and am working on the backs (got sidetracked with new paint and dismantling my other two cars for parts.

i read after googling that a man used the tiny dremmel discs to cut a groove in the top of the snapped nipple. this did cut into the caliper but not as to effect its workings. he then used a normal flathead screwriver in the groove created to remoove what was left of the nipple.

this might be a good method to try after you snap off a bit inside.

Posted 18th Jan 2012 at 12:49
fast_eddie

Regular

Post #7
Carefully weld on a bolt to the snapped nipple and build up the weld to form a strong joint, then undo using correct spanner.

Easier with a tig welder but doable with a low power mig
Posted 3rd Mar 2012 at 02:11
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
welshpug! wrote:

I tried that on my 205 front calipers but the threads didn't collapse, would it be ok to tap it up ?

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 3rd Mar 2012 at 07:59
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
footah212 wrote:
tvrfan007 wrote:
You could try hammering a torx into the shank, but soak it for as long as possible in plus gas first.

I tried this and sheared the torx bit in the hole. There is now a peice of chrome vanadium wedged i there forever.

New calipers was the end result. Oh and a new torx bit for my socket set.

Been there, done that.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 3rd Mar 2012 at 15:05
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
jimmyhackers wrote:
ive managed to loosen the fronts, and am working on the backs (got sidetracked with new paint and dismantling my other two cars for parts.

i read after googling that a man used the tiny dremmel discs to cut a groove in the top of the snapped nipple. this did cut into the caliper but not as to effect its workings. he then used a normal flathead screwriver in the groove created to remoove what was left of the nipple.

this might be a good method to try after you snap off a bit inside.

I can't see a screwdriver working if it snapped to begin with and also snapped a Torque bit aswell.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 3rd Mar 2012 at 21:05
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
your right. The screw driver methods worked on one side......just. And on the second i bent the head of the screw driver :s i ordered two new reconned calipers in the end. And during fitting realised i have about another 3 jobs to do. The gti is gonna be sat dormant for a while Sad

Posted 4th Mar 2012 at 15:05