displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Checking rear beam off a car?
tcrallye

Regular

Post #1
Hello there, so after a thorough search (5 minutes!) I cant find the answer to my question. I am after a rear beam for my rallye and have arranged to take a look at one on Sunday however I have just found out that the beam is off the car and I was wandering what kind of issues this may entail when attempting to check over a second hand beam?

Are there things for me to look for when looking it over and special techniques to "test" the beam? Or is it totally not worth the risk as theres no real way to check unless is on the car?

If you havent already guessed I'm a complete novice so i apologise if these seem like silly questions!

Cheers, Tom.
Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 19:25
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
IMO the only real way to check a beam is to pull the arms off and have a look at the pins and bearings.
Without stripping though the best you can do is feel for any 'play' between the arms and beam tube,check the arms move freely by bouncing on it, check the condition of the seals between the arms and the main tube. If its really f*cked you may see the seal is squashed at the top and more open at the bottom (if that makes sense).
If the beam looks like its been at the bottom of the ocean I'd steer clear aswell.

Second hand rear beams are always a gamble to be honest, on or off the car.

Al

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 20:43
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Just to add, from past experience lowered beams are more likely to be goosed due to amateurish lowering techniques. Buggering the seals and refitting with no grease, knackered arb seals letting moisture in etc etc.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 20:49
tcrallye

Regular

Post #4
Cheers for the reply. I shall keep note and check what you said, I think either way with my expertise or lack of it it's going to be a gamble. Finger's crossed I guess!

Cheers, Tom.
Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 21:02
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
if it hasnt been rebuilt then budget for two shafts and a set of bearings.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 21:19
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Get the beam and do a rebuild on it. These cars are all at the kind of age where if they havent been rebuilt its probably overdue. Especially ones that have been lowered already. Taking a beam apart to lower it is more than likely going to accelerate wear of old components anyway.

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 10th Jan 2012 at 22:26
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Another advantage of doing a rebuild is you can get the torsion bars free from the trailing arms and apply plenty of grease to the splines when its put back together - so if you ever wish to adjust the ride height at a later date both the torsion bars will be nice and easy to move.

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 10th Jan 2012 at 22:31