displaying posts 1 to 25 of 30

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Where do i stand?
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
My golf is currently in with heritage vw because of a noise coming from the camblet area. The cambelt was done last year (13k ago). They only have to take the cover off to see that the belt and tensioner were over tensioned, this work was done at another vw dealer, they then without my authority continued to strip the cambelt side of things down to tell me that i need a new water pump but that is covered under parts warranty, but i would also need a new tensioner and belt as they are damaged, today they phoned me to say the pump isnt actually warranty as it is the tenioners fault that it went, i asked them to take photos to provide the other dealer so they could take the charge on but they didnt, so they are trying to make me pay, they have offered to put the old belt, pump and tensioner back on foc but i am not happy with that. The service managed has confirmed that it should not have been stripped and that photos should have been taken but i am still liable to pay. They fed me 4 different stories about the tensioner. IMO if they had rang me and said your tensioner is over tensioned i could have paid the £90 and took it to the other dealer to rectify, now i am stuck with the car off the road at VW.
Any one have any advice?

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 14:40
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #2
Ring trading standards but iirc they cannot carry out work without the customers authorisation
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 14:45
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Best outcome it seems is for them to build it back up using the original bits and you pay just for the diagnostic work that you instructed them to do.

Play your face, ask to speak to the main manager / dealer principal etc etc.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 14:48
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Also write down the order things happened in, and what info you were given each time. Make records of everything if you can, and give trading standards a call.

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 14:50
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
You instructed them to investigate the noise, without specifying what they could and couldn't do. Its not like you told them to change the pads, and they've gone and done the discs and fluid without permission. "Only removing the cover to see it had been overtensioned" is your opinion, not theirs. "find a fault" is pretty much open book on what they can do IMO.

tough one Dunno
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 14:50
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
speak to the place that fitted the parts originally and see what they say about replacement of the timing kit plus pump as its their fault the pump died.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 14:51
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
The service manager admitted today that once they seen the tensioner was over tensioned they shouldnt have gone further without authority, and that they should have taken photos, the other dealer that fitted the pparts will not take any responsibilty because there is no evidence that they fitted it wrong as they stripped it down.

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 14:58
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
jim01uk wrote:
You instructed them to investigate the noise, without specifying what they could and couldn't do. Its not like you told them to change the pads, and they've gone and done the discs and fluid without permission. "Only removing the cover to see it had been overtensioned" is your opinion, not theirs. "find a fault" is pretty much open book on what they can do IMO.

tough one Dunno

I already new where the noise was coming from, but as the cambelt was done last year it should have been under a parts warranty, i only asked them to inspect the tensioner

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 14:59
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Yes but its much like when you go to the doctor and say "Doctor, I'm so ill, I've got aids" they don't just give you the anti-aids, they inspect you first and find out you have a common cold"
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 15:03
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Laugh my ass off

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 15:07
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Been up for 24 hours now, best I could do. Sorry!
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 15:09
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
My problem is that obviously Whiterose VW done the cambelt last june, fitted it wrong, i actually told heritage that i would either be claiming for warranty or from the other dealer, I would have had no problem that they stripped it if it was documented like it should have been but i am now left with no proof that it was fitted in error and a set of faulty parts waiting to go back on! I am waiting for a call from VW UK on the matter, but its the stories, that they say, when they first rang the tensioner was fitted the wrong way round, then it was over tensioned, then the tensioner was fine so it can go back on but now its been over tensioned and needs to be replaced, seems like they are trying to make money! Also parts warranty only stays with the person who bought it, so if i bought a water pump and had it fitted, sold the car the next day and it failed its not longer covered!

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 15:20
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
I'd get on VW UK and explain the situation as its 2 dealers in question 1 fitted parts wrongly the other needing payment, back in my Peugeot dealer days Peugeot Coventry had the last word on anything and quite offten we would be told to do a free service for a customer who had had a bad experience at a neighbouring dealer obviously we weren't doing the job free but the customer had the job free also as Ash says get trading standards on to it and see what they say but i'd think failing both those you'd need to get a solisitor involved for a court claim HERE

All South Wales Members Click Here
Team Supercharged Black RALLYE ™ (Click Here for Build Project)
MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 15:21
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Thats what you get for letting Waitrose do cambelts.

Oh... hang on.....

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 16:32
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
lukejenks101 wrote:
now i am stuck with the car off the road at VW.

lukejenks101 wrote:
Where do I stand

I'm guessing the bus stop? Dunno

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 16:39
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
thugpuggin wrote:
lukejenks101 wrote:
now i am stuck with the car off the road at VW.

lukejenks101 wrote:
Where do I stand

I'm guessing the bus stop? Dunno

I LOL

MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 17:09
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
well the other dealer are refusing to pay, the service manager admitted that when they seen the tensioner was over tensioned they should have called me and get authority to proceed further. So my point is i shouldnt have to pay for a job which was incorrectly fitted by a vw dealer, then by stripping it i have no choice other than to pay them!

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 17:57
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Its your car though, havent they fixed it and just wanting you to pay before collecting?

MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 18:30
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
No its not fixed yet, its still in pieces in their workshop

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 18:39
wilyoldave

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Kick off - ask to see the most senior manager and give them stick - one or both dealers should take responsibility and sort it - tell them you don't care which one does or they share the cost but you want it sorted - def get trading standards involved, Good luck mate.

No more peugeots Sad

Snap - no more RS clioSad

Now Ph1 RS clio Smile
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 18:46
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
I'll ROFL if a bloke I know called Oggy took it apart.

Should've got your monkeys like Andy Weeks to look at it prior to taking down to Heritage. The amount of hire cars I used to deliver there implies VW aren't very good. Used to take less to Templegate.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 19:04
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
I used to work near a VW garage, it seemed like part of their test drive after working on the cars were to "rag the absolute shit out of them" used to literally floor it in a 30 to at least 60! That was the Hull branch.

Good luck getting it fixed, i'd tell them you'll think twice about ever getting a VW from a dealer again and will also inform all people you know.....if it can't be done right at a dealers then i wouldn't try any of them- PERIOD!

VW Golf GT TDI 115, 100k nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 20:38
matty_rallye

Senior User

Post #23
They cant carry out any work without you authorising the full cost of what they are going to do. If they had to strip the car furthar then they should have contacted you to gain the authority to do so.

If i were you i would tell them to put the car back with the old parts foc. I would put money on the service manager then offering you the job done at a much reduced rate as they would rather get something back on the job than nothing at all.

2.1 16v 306 Rallye.
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 21:18
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
it was checked at our work first thats how i knew that fault and that they are bullshitting me!

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 22:03
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
lukejenks101 wrote:
it was checked at our work first thats how i knew that fault and that they are bullshitting me!

Well man the f*ck up and tell them you aren't a normal consumer which you aren't. Tell them a pug mechanic diagnosed the issue that they picked up on but then f*cked up on.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 17th Dec 2011 at 01:26

Pages (2): [1] 2