displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Cold Air Feed Setup
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #1
Hello All,

I have a BMC DIA enclosed airfilter and recently connected it to a cold air feed via the standard snorkle, i havnt seen this set up before on here (i dont think) so i thought it would be good to share..

It is on a xsi (boo hiss) so it uses a different manifold, so it might not be possible doing this to the gti type manifolds?

anyway pictures:

The one thing i am abit worried about it that the tubing is touching the radiator.. will the radiator get hot enough to melt the tubing? the tubing i have is a neoprene type one from amazon and couldn't see any operating temps.

I do need to tweek it a little though, the 80mm tubing is clamped around a 70mm shoulder at the filter at the moment so im going to have to make another one when i have time, also 80mm tubing fits on the standard snorkle perfectly!!

Cheers, Lewis.
Posted 1st Dec 2011 at 18:56
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Shorten the tube? Quite a long way for the air to travel there?

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 15th Dec 2011 at 19:37
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
that is a bit of a pickle there. my tube as about as long but routed to the fog light on that side. it shouldnt really effect performance too much as the filter is very close to the throttle. if your worried about heat soak and wanted a cheap quick fix rather than new better more expensive ducting. glue and tin foil Razz

that angle looks rather tight to get a shorter peice of that tube on there. if you can do it id say do so. if not dont worry.

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 00:59
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #4
shortening the tube is on the things to do.. it does go quite a way down engine bay, it probably wont make any difference but id just like it that way to be honest
Posted 21st Dec 2011 at 16:13
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Fog light is the best place for a cold air feed imo. But also the standard air box with a k&n pannel filter is probably the best. The whole heat soak topic has been talked about many times and i think your best bet would be to shorten the ducting to as little as possible as there will be less to get heated. Also as jimmy says wrap it in foil as that is supposed to work. Many options

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 21st Dec 2011 at 16:55
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #6
i was going to do the whole fog light thing but got put off with the water being sucked up stories! and i would have gone back to standard with a k&N but chucked out my old filter box! Doh
Posted 22nd Dec 2011 at 10:47
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #7
Heat wont be a problem so far as metling the ducting goes, but anything that chafes on the wafer thin tubes of the rad will make it likely to fail. Plus it will chew its way through the hose as the fins are sharp. Cable tie it back so it can't rub.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 22nd Dec 2011 at 11:45
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #8
cheers, hadn't thought of that. its been fine with the temperatures so far!
Posted 22nd Dec 2011 at 15:45
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #9
finally made the little modifications..

made a new connecter that is 80mm not 70mm so suits the tubing:

made a little shield to stop rubbing and some heat:

and shortent the tubing:

i think it has actually made a difference! the throttle feels abit more responsive and revs up abit quicker from idle Smile
Posted 12th Jan 2012 at 19:28
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
you should remove the heat imo, you are restricting airflow to the engine.

the tubing wont rub on it and will be fine Smile

Team allesclar ®

Posted 12th Jan 2012 at 19:32