displaying posts 1 to 25 of 30

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: XSi
arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Comparison too the GTi-6? Just been looking on PH and there are a few good examples for less than 1k thought it would be worth asking as I would love another GTi-6 but the fuel costs could prove to be cripaling and a HDi just seems a little bit Zzz to me Ninja

All comments and opinions from anyone was owned an Xsi(and also a GTi6 too would also be helpful) Happy

This is where I told told to pull myself together and 'bite the bullet'! LOL

Ari

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
2008 BMW ///M 320d
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:03
seans6

Senior User

Post #2
Ive never owned a xsi but i dont see the point, they cant be much more economical than a 6? Look at the price of gti6's atm not alot more than an xsi, gti-6- do it! Cool

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:07
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #3
The XSi is only marginally better than the GTi-6 on fuel, with a noticeable step down in performance.

The HDi is only marginally slower than an XSi with significantly better economy, and can be tuned to near GTi-6 performance relatively easily without losing much of the extra economy.

To be honest, if you can't afford to run a GTi-6 then I'd say that you probably can't afford to run an XSi either.

Rich
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:12
arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I just looked up the 'facts and figures' of the XSi on Parker's Guide and It is only 1MPG better. So in other words I may get slightly cheaper insurance but it would be a complete waste of time. Laugh

Thanks Sean Thumbs up Conclusion: Just get a 6 Wink

/thread Whistle

Edit:
Rich E wrote:
To be honest, if you can't afford to run a GTi-6 then I'd say that you probably can't afford to run an XSi either.

Yeah that is a fair point Rich, It would not be so bad if I had a permanent job, going to the same place every day but as things are Im here there and I can go over a week without work. Im not really in any position to change my car anytime soon unless I get something cheaper to run. I just want another 306 in my life to be honest I spend a good couple of hours a day on here and on eBay, just perving Shifty In light of what you have said Maybe the HDi is the way to go! At least then I would have a Pug to turn upto Pugfest in rather than my Focus, don't get me wrong its a great car just I want something thats a bit more me. Miss my 306. SAD F**KER I know Shut up

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
2008 BMW ///M 320d
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:14
Ed_van_dijk

Senior User

Post #5
My old Xsi 16v fitted with the 6 speed box is pretty good (the missus now has it) It pulls very very well all through the gears but it just runs out of puff abit at high end of revs.

Speed wise, not amazing amount in it between the Xsi and Gti, obviously the Gti is quicker. Fuel, The missus gets 400 miles to a tank to my 300 in the Gti.

If you ever got one, first thing to do, is fit a 6 speed box! it transforms it, you can keep it on the power so much better!

Astor 6
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 19:52
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
Rich E wrote:
The HDi is only marginally slower than an XSi

Laugh my ass off

90 bhp to 135? "marginal" ??

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 20:00
Ed_van_dijk

Senior User

Post #7
137 to be precise Wink

Astor 6
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 20:02
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #8
I had an XSi and loved it. It was a fairly quick car with very sharp steering.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 20:13
petey

Regular

Post #9
arigti6 wrote:
Comparison too the GTi-6? Just been looking on PH and there are a few good examples for less than 1k thought it would be worth asking as I would love another GTi-6 but the fuel costs could prove to be cripaling and a HDi just seems a little bit Zzz to me Ninja

All comments and opinions from anyone was owned an Xsi(and also a GTi6 too would also be helpful) Happy

This is where I told told to pull myself together and 'bite the bullet'! LOL

Ari

This is a shameless plug on my behalf, but... now we have established that you might as well buy a 6 instead of an XSI, I do have a very decent one for sale at the moment that I no longer use due to now having a company car TidyGTI6WithSensibleMods Whistle

High Boost Supercharged 306 GTI6
Alfa 147 GTA
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 20:45

Regular

Post #10
Go for it I have owned a phase 1 XSI twice brutal little cars not to be underestimated most haters on here will say there naff but I can reassure you that they indeed are very good motors I pitted 1 against a boxster about 6 years back and made the Porsche look silly.

I lost obviously but can honestly say the porsche was no more than a car length away all the way up to 70 2nd gear is brutal if you know how to use it Whistle

Buy 1 quick dont even think about it just make sure its 3 door the 6 really is not a great deal better and I dont care what any 1 says Smug

Also whats all the NOISE about the 6 being a gas guzzler I went from south london to manchester a couple weeks back cost me £23 quid plus the price at the pump is high, Just kept imagining my foot was a feather.

EDIT: Or buy a 1.8 XS phase 3, 3 door I owned one of those too you'd be very surprised how good they are as well, test drive one you will feel like your in 6 the engine sounds nice too has a little burble to it even when ticking over.

I used to rape mine and it never ever missed a beat.

Aka Manstoner

Aka Clio dumper

Aka PrinceofPeugeot

Aka Decat raspberrys
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 20:52
arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Ed, that Xsi is nice considering it is a 5dr.... Mind you I do like a modified 5dr 306. Cool I was thinking of possibly fitting the BE3/6 box if I was to buy an XSi.

petey wrote:
This is a shameless plug on my behalf, but... now we have established that you might as well buy a 6 instead of an XSI, I do have a very decent one for sale at the moment that I no longer use due to now having a company car TidyGTI6WithSensibleMods Whistle

I was perving at that the other day! Wink

Not sure about an XS, I have heard from several people that they are worse on fuel than a GTi6? I could not care less about power really. My Focus is a 1.8 with 113BHP, I just lack enthusiasms for it. When I had my 306 all I wanted to do was drive it, Its the opposite with the Ford. I enjoy it sometimes as it does handle well and yes its been no trouble,.. yet.. but it is not the same as a 306 which I loved driving. I just cant get excited about the Focus its a 5dr and has surface rust on the bottom of the rear n/s door Sad Not a common problem on a 306 as far as I am aware?

Edit: If my financial situation does not improve once we are well into 2012, I will buy a HDi 3dr. If I find myself with another permanent job with reasonable pay I will end up buying another '6... It is pretty much all I think about Ninja Thats being Single and still living at home for you I guess Roll eyes

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
2008 BMW ///M 320d
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 21:56
Ed_van_dijk

Senior User

Post #12
Its a beast mate. its done 180k and it still drives so nicely. so easy to drive compared to the Gti, smooth engines! I drove an Xs and it was so shite compare to the Xsi and Gti! wouldnt pull a skin off a rice pudding!

Astor 6
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 22:03

Regular

Post #13
I know the feeling ari I was driving a 2.0 golf mk4 cabby all summer when I couldn't get the wife's fiat 500 the cabby was ok but deep down I hated it.

The minute I jumped back in the 6 after it being sorn for a few months it felt so good when I started her up first thing I did was check the indicators even that was a joy then "Oh no" the clutch has seized or maybe my left leg has just got a lot weaker then bang I was off tho shell to be robbed for a bit of V power Love

Aka Manstoner

Aka Clio dumper

Aka PrinceofPeugeot

Aka Decat raspberrys
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 22:24
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
I used to have a 16v XSi. It was good but, as has been said, it's barely any better on fuel than the 6. It was noticeably weaker top end and the 5 speed box wasn't as good. They are, however, a fair bit faster than an HDi. Laugh

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 23:22
jonnyvandijk

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Also agree my old XSi was noticeably quicker than our HDi. I used to get 400 - 450 miles to a tank, giving it some too most of the time. Driving the GTi in the same way would only see me just over 300 miles I should think. Its definitely better on fuel though, especially if you're sensible. Not a touch on an HDi fuel wise but they are not so readily available.

Black 306 GTi-6 Ninja 175.8BHP SCA Norwich Project
Topaz Blue 205 CTI Happy
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 09:53
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #16
Remapped HDI FTW Wink
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 10:09
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #17
Fair enough, must have been a particularly spritely HDi that I drove.

Rich
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 10:11
ablister

Senior User

Post #18
i love xsi's as they are cheap and handle just as well as the gti's. I've had just as much fun in my xsi's than in my rallye (although i always fit bigger brakes to the xsi's...)

306 rallye, Richard Longman engine

rc10gt
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 20:10

Regular

Post #19
ablister wrote:
i love xsi's as they are cheap and handle just as well as the gti's. I've had just as much fun in my xsi's than in my rallye (although i always fit bigger brakes to the xsi's...)

Me too but only buy the 3 door version 5 door feels a lot uuugh different.

Still would try the XS I found them good petrol and bags of fun must stress though only test a 3 door 1 Shut up

Aka Manstoner

Aka Clio dumper

Aka PrinceofPeugeot

Aka Decat raspberrys
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 21:28
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
123456 wrote:
Still would try the XS I found them good petrol and bags of fun must stress though only test a 3 door 1 Shut up

iirc the only 5 door ones were estates......

Oh and I'm guessing you weren't referring to the phase 1 1.6l either.....

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 21:50

Regular

Post #21
thugpuggin wrote:
123456 wrote:

1.8 you dirty scumbag spawn of a scamster.

Aka Manstoner

Aka Clio dumper

Aka PrinceofPeugeot

Aka Decat raspberrys
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 21:57
hampstead

Junior User

Post #22
thugpuggin wrote:
123456 wrote:

We had a couple of 5dr P1 XSi hatches back in the days before the GTI-6 had been launched. Good fun :-)

Matt
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 22:09
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #23

apart from a heavy clutch, i loved my 2.0 16v xsi

i found it pulled very well, even from low revs in 5th gear

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 22:13
jonnyvandijk

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Took forever in second though. Longest gear in the world.

Black 306 GTi-6 Ninja 175.8BHP SCA Norwich Project
Topaz Blue 205 CTI Happy
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 22:31

Regular

Post #25
jonnyvandijk wrote:
Took forever in second though. Longest gear in the world.

Learn how to drive mate or maybe you never will/can Yes

Aka Manstoner

Aka Clio dumper

Aka PrinceofPeugeot

Aka Decat raspberrys
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 22:44

Pages (2): [1] 2