displaying posts 1 to 23 of 23

Author Subject: Crunch....
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #1
Just had a smash, some idiot pulled onto the roundabout causing the car in front to brake hard i hit him and the guy that pulled out and made us all brake drove off......Doesn't look too bad but the radiator is punctured and the slam panel looks a bit bent. His car didnt look damaged at all weirdly enough. Pictures to follow....

I don't have protected no claims, would have preferred not to crash but i was thinking about getting rid of the car soon anyway. If the third party doesn't claim on my insurance or i can sling him a bit of cash what are my options. So far i have:

break the car
Flog it cheap to get rid quick
Repair it on the cheap

or claim on insurance and watch my premium go through the roof and my 4 years no claims disappear.

One thing i'm now a bit worried about is i had to phone the insurance company initially as i was worried about recovery etc so they opened up a claim on my account. If i don't decide to go through with insurance will i still lose my no claims if neither me or the third party go through the insurance? Or what happens if just the third party claims off me?

Would prefer this not to turn into a request list for parts just yet

Thanks in advance

"We never have any near misses, we hit them every time!"

clicky code for my benefit

[ url= http://www.website.com]My link[/url ]
Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 19:12
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
It all depends on what the other party does. If you don't go through the insurance and they put in a whiplash claim you're in trouble.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 19:19
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #3
If you hit the car in front it's a fault claim and the 3rd party can either claim through your insurance or use theirs, and their company will obtain the money back from your cover. Either way you may be losing your NCD.
Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 19:20
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
You generally f*ck it by ringing insurance and reporting anything accident related regardless of your fault or not, you've admitted an accident has occured at this point. Guess the car emerged from the junction into right of way traffic.

Breaking it is a ball ache now prices are low on spares so I'd look to sell cheaper or fix with the cheap prices for the spares.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 19:21
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #5
As above.

I'ts also worth reporting it to the police as you dont want a whiplash claim in the future and the other guy has left the scene of an RTA which is an offence itself Wink
Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 19:21
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Unless details of cause can be sourced, their presence at the scene is none existent in regards to babylon and insurance.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 19:23
judge dead

Regular

Post #7
Depends on the repiar do you need bonnet , bumper , slam panal , x2 head lights and radiator? plus odd smal part here and there it would be worth repiaring you're self if you get parts of here on the cheap
Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 19:24
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #8
having had a look i think i'm going to repair it. Fortunately nothing seems pushed back, just the nearly new nissans radiator with a big hole in it.

Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 20:20
carbonfibre

Regular

Post #9
Be careful with this. You have already informed your insurer, and can't reverse that. It may be best to contact the police and tell them what has happened too, in order to cover your ass. It is wise to act responsibly in the eyes of the law, if the other party decides to be awkward at a later stage it will help you. Write a full account of the event and put it aside for your own reference, even if it ultimately is not required. If the other party decides to report the event it's best to be seen not to be avoiding the issue.

Keeping the whole thing off a public forum might also be a good idea.

By the way, the above does not constitute legal advice. It's just an opinion. The forum does have a policy regarding accident threads. You can delete your own posts, but (I am willing to be corrected here) if you are quoted it gets stickier. Basically, take advice in private.

I hope it works out ok.

Hens teeth rocking horse poo Cossack Ph1.3
Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 20:36
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #10
If the guy just drove straight off I doubt very much he is likely to persue a claim LOL

You shouldn't have rang insurance, but that's too late to dwell on now.

Even if you ring them and say you have been home in the light and there is no damage at all, you are likely to have your call noted on their system. So as far as they are concerned, 'you have had an accident in the last 5 years' whether it be your fault or not.

Just grit your teeth for when you remove the bumper to find the cross member is likely to bent.

Your talking a bumper, slam, rad, couling, grill. Headlights damaged?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 20:50
    thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    dangti6 wrote:
    If the guy just drove straight off I doubt very much he is likely to persue a claim LOL

Try reading OP's post again....Wink

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 20:52
    jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #12
    dangti6 wrote:

You shouldn't have rang insurance, but that's too late to dwell on now.

Even if you ring them and say you have been home in the light and there is no damage at all, you are likely to have your call noted on their system. So as far as they are concerned, 'you have had an accident in the last 5 years' whether it be your fault or not.

Just grit your teeth for when you remove the bumper to find the cross member is likely to bent.

Your talking a bumper, slam, rad, couling, grill. Headlights damaged?

Hmm tbh i panicked a bit and phoned as i thought i needed recovery vehicle. Been looking for an upgrade for a bit anyway so maybe now's a perfect time, anyone got a cupra r for sale?

Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 21:17
    justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
    Not sure about some of the replies - the guy that caused the braking and drove off technically did nothing wrong, as he was not involved in the accident. It's sadly your fault for being too close and not braking fast enough.

I think you have done the right thing in reporting it, whether you claim or not will affect your future premiums further, the other guy will almost certainly claim against you anyway so NCB will be dropping a little...
    Posted 15th Nov 2011 at 22:21
    xaero1

Senior User

Post #14
    Some insurance companies allow you to keep your NCB as long as you pay them the money the other party claimed from them. However if it's a whiplash claim then it'll be thousands..

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    Posted 16th Nov 2011 at 09:17
    gti-james

Regular

Post #15
    Shit news mate Sad why are people such idiots on the road?
    Posted 16th Nov 2011 at 11:34
    jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #16
    Fingers crossed it looks like it'll be ok, don't want to go into too much detail but the guy phone to say he can't see a mark on his and that this'll go no further. Good. News for me, is there anything I need to do now to not get stung?

EDIT: my insurance has gone up significantly due to this no claim incident even though I'm getting a signed letter from the third party to close the non existent claim. Insurance companies really are a bunch of Kents. On a positive note, I just bought a spangly black mk1 cupra r to play with, every cloud and all! Cue the FOYC responses!

Posted 16th Nov 2011 at 13:23
    smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
    The other party is taking a BIG risk. If it popped your rad then surely it will have done something. If your insurance is taking a hit anyway, I'd get them to get it checked properly.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
    Posted 16th Nov 2011 at 20:41
    jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #18
    tbh i cant be arsed with the 6 anymore, sadly it's not worth my time and money and the less i speak to the insurance company the less irate i become. I need to find out whether they are fully doing me over, in which case i will claim on my car. Seems like im getting stitched up at the moment for not even asking them for a penny. Oh and also am i likely to lose my no claims if neither of us claim. Sounds like a silly question but i got a bad vibe going on.

Posted 16th Nov 2011 at 21:01
    musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    Bloody hell if you can afford a spangly Cupra then you obviously aren't doing bad, stop whining Laugh

VW Golf GT TDI 115, 100k nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted 16th Nov 2011 at 21:18
    smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    jimbamboon wrote:
    tbh i cant be arsed with the 6 anymore, sadly it's not worth my time and money and the less i speak to the insurance company the less irate i become. I need to find out whether they are fully doing me over, in which case i will claim on my car. Seems like im getting stitched up at the moment for not even asking them for a penny. Oh and also am i likely to lose my no claims if neither of us claim. Sounds like a silly question but i got a bad vibe going on.

If none of you claim you shouldn't lose your no claims but you will have had an accident. Insurance is a c*nt.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
    Posted 16th Nov 2011 at 21:49
    justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    I think it was Jim that said he played things by the book and reported that one of his cars was broken into, but wouldnt be making a claim

His insurance went up....

I suppose it's different for an accident, as if you don't report it and the third party does then you are likely to be found out...
    Posted 16th Nov 2011 at 22:16
    jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #22
    yeah i think in hindsight it was probably sensible to mention it to them but i'll be seriously p*ssed off if the no claims get reduced.

Posted 16th Nov 2011 at 23:24
    jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #23
    musclebeach wrote:
    Bloody hell if you can afford a spangly Cupra then you obviously aren't doing bad, stop whining Laugh

LOL been saving for a bit, but that's all gone now. It's all very well owning one, but insuring it on the other hand Meh

Posted 16th Nov 2011 at 23:26