displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Tapper or not?
darrengti

Regular

Post #1
I've had my Rallye off the road for just over a year now. It wasn't a tapper when I was driving it however now when I start it it's fine, but after maybe 5 mins of idling it gets a tappy noise from the head area which rises and falls with the revs.

If I leave the car for a day or two and restart it isn't initially a tapper, but then it occurs again after a while.

It is due a belt change soon, will do this before it goes back on the road. And it had a HG failure about 25k ago which required a mild skim of the head (previous owner has bills for this).

Could it just be a case crappy oil not flowing in to the head or have I got something more serious?

Darren
Posted 1st Nov 2011 at 13:27
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
"tappers" tend to tap all the time, could be a dicky lifter, when it does come back whip the covers off and give each one a prod with a non metallic object, see if any move easier than others.

have you tried an oil change? get it nice and warm and dump it when its hot, then give it decent fresh 10w40 and a decent filter, you can often get pug ones off ebay for well under half retail price.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 1st Nov 2011 at 14:04
darrengti

Regular

Post #3
Oil change is on the cards, got a genuine filter ready to go on. I've ony recently got the garage space to work on it again so will get that done soon. Will do that first then check the lifters if it returns.

I was just hoping it isn't a tapper as I'd probably given up on the idea of putting it back on the road and scrapped it.

Thanks
Posted 1st Nov 2011 at 14:20
info@pug1off.com

Post #4
If it didnt tick before and you haven't touched the timing, plus it goes when warm it must just be a stubborn lifter, put some fully syn 5w40 in and give it a good run, one of ours did this for a week after a month off the road for a re-spray.

N/A XU10J4RS = 302.1 bhp / 184.2 lb.ft
Turbo XU10J4RS = 500.2 bhp / 443 lb.ft
USC 2011 Double Class winners
N/A FWD 0-60 winners at TRAX 2011

Developers, stockists and installers of superior upgrades for the Peugeot 306 GTi6 & Rallye, including:-

*NEW!!!!! 4.8:1 final drive for BE3/6
*BBM Group N engine mounts
*Cat Cams and vernier pulleys
*Emerald ECU's
*Jenvey throttle bodies
*Uprated gear linkages and short shifts
*Quaife & Tran-X LSD's for BE3/6
*Tar-Ox brake discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads
*Solid rear beam mounts
*21-25mm torsion bars
*25mm rear anti roll bars
Posted 7th Nov 2011 at 21:52