displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Head light bulb
judge dead

Regular

Post #1
ok so before we start i searched and didnt find anything asking what im about to....

What is best standerd bulb wich is actualy white ive bought a few from ebay same as my m8 cliaming there "white" when you put them in there still just yellow since HID's are not going to be option now. what are best bulbs? are the LED headlight bulbs legal?
Posted 23rd Oct 2011 at 19:08
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
ive got these in currently as my dip beam ring xenon max they claim to be 100% brighter but i cant see much difference to standard. in my full beam i have ice blue and these are a lovely blue/white colour as described but i found had less range, but by having the combo i get the range from the orange ring bulbs but with full on the light then turns whiteBig grin its a setup im happy with. but take into account that my headlight aim wasnt correct when fitting and testing these bulbs so you may have a different opinion.

as for led's, i think they are illegal in headlights, but i would recommend led side lights these are fantastic in crystal headlights and well worth the high price imo, just dont get blue as thats illegal i think.

hope this was some help

supercharged China gti6 - Thu 16th Sep 1999 - sold
2010 megane rs250
Posted 23rd Oct 2011 at 23:15
judge dead

Regular

Post #3
thanks i currently have angel eyes wich are blue/white led rings and 3 side ones and a led side light but my main beam and dipped are yellow so doesnt look good Razz
Posted 24th Oct 2011 at 17:10
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I got Halfords "90% brighter" standard fit bulbs in H7 for the Focus which has rubbish standard headlights (Mk2 08 reg, last of the pre-facelift type). The Halfords bulbs did make a big improvement but one of them only lasted a few months and the other one followed it soon after. Lucky they were bought on a half price deal. Put standard ones back in and been good as gold ever since, just having to put up with useless headlamps but at least they work. Don't know why as these upgrades claim to run cooler and not use any more current. BTW the Rallye standard (P2) headlights leave the Focus standard ones for dead.

If I could find similar that would last more than 5 minutes I'd put them in both our cars.

Ring have a good rep, Philips and Osram also do upgrades - found this site...

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/ct/popular-bulbs/

I'd be interested to know which are the best too - all I can say is from my experience Halfords aren't!

<edit> It says here http://www.powerbulbs.com/blog/ that Philips X-Treme Power, which delivers 80% more light than standard, won ‘Auto Express Best Buy’ for the last three years.

Here is Auto Express test: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/243109/bulbs_we_test_30.html

A related question - do Phase 3 crystal headlamps give better light output than the Phase 2 type on my Rallye?

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 24th Oct 2011 at 18:03
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #5
I was under the impression that Nightbreakers were a good choice. Have to admit, never tried them though.

It always seems that aftermarket headlights give shite visibility when I'm facing oncoming traffic at night.

Things like angel eyes' and Morettes look dull and yellow. F*ck that for a game of soldiers, I'd rather see.

I think the phase 3 crystal units are bloody good at projecting light to be honest (relatively speaking of course), I've never had an issue with them.

Why not sack off those terrible angelic eye balls and install OE crystals? Two birds, one stone.
Posted 24th Oct 2011 at 18:53
BrianM

Regular

Post #6
these http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/sc/philips-xtreme-vision/

or these, which seem to get a gd write up. http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/sc/osram-nightbreaker-plus-car-bulbs/

I used to work for halfords and never had too many complaints about the super brilliance bulbs...depends who fits them. If you scratch the end to bits when fitting them it reduces the life expectancy of any bulb as does handling the glass part of the bulb itself, just hold the metal pronged bit when fitting.

And we all know which ones we want from that pheonix auto bulbs site...

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/pr/ring-rally-sport-h7/

The illegal rally ones!

'13 208 Gti Bianca White, '99 Bianca 306 Rallye, '92 309 Goodwood GTi 5dr, '92 Miami Blue 309 GTi 3dr.
Posted 24th Oct 2011 at 23:59
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
BrianM wrote:
If you scratch the end to bits when fitting them it reduces the life expectancy of any bulb as does handling the glass part of the bulb itself, just hold the metal pronged bit when fitting.

Let's just imagine I know how to fit a set of bulbs. The standard ones, which I also fitted, have still lasted 5 times (and counting) as long as the Halfords ones. If they do not commonly fail this quickly it could have been a bad batch. My experience with the product, all I'm saying.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th Oct 2011 at 18:24