displaying posts 1 to 17 of 17

Author Subject: Convince me to buy a GTI-6 again...
thewho07

Regular

Post #1
Hi everyone.

Currently got an Impreza Turbo 2000, getting bored of it, so fancy a change and been thinking of getting another GTI-6. I had one years ago, but the bottom end went within two weeks of having it, and that was that! I hear from people that the engines in 6's are soft, is this true? I keep hearing about bottom ends going, and it's putting me off. It's a shame because I love the looks and handling of a 6 and I really do want another one. Was it just bad luck the bottom end went? What causes it?

Cheers
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 21:15
BrianM

Regular

Post #2
Sounds like you've had a bit of bad luck!

I've not long bought a 306 rallye and although I have only driven it on the road for a week, i much prefer it to my 206 gti 180 although it does lack many toys: auto lights & wipers, cd player, electric windows, climate control with air con, rear parking sensors, electric folding mirrors...but to name a few!

But i'm willing to live without them and it won't be long before I get the "make the car lighter" bug!

They handle so well and the 6th gear certainly appears to help fuel consumption, my 180 just wants to go all the time, hence loves fuel.

'13 208 Gti Bianca White, '99 Bianca 306 Rallye, '92 309 Goodwood GTi 5dr, '92 Miami Blue 309 GTi 3dr.
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 21:24
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
thewho07 wrote:
I hear from people that the engines in 6's are soft, is this true?

Not in the slightest, they're fantastic engines that can easily run for 200,000 miles if looked after properly. The same engine will take 250bhp on standard internals, and with new rods can take 400bhp+.

Clearly however no-one can guarantee you you'll buy a car with no problems, they're 10+ year old cheap French cars that like to go wrong as much as any other car of its value and age. The mistake people make is buying a '6 for a grand or two then being annoyed when stuff goes wrong; you need to remember that you're really not paying much money at all for a reasonably high-performance car, and that means upkeep will clearly cost you more. Bit like running an Impreza Wink

As long as you budget for the odd replacement part here and there you'll be fine Thumbs up

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 21:45
thomas2812

Post #4
how much is ur car worth as im selling a gti-6 and wouldnt mind your car
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 21:47
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
owain wrote:
thewho07 wrote:
I hear from people that the engines in 6's are soft, is this true?

Not in the slightest, they're fantastic engines that can easily run for 200,000 miles if looked after properly. The same engine will take 250bhp on standard internals, and with new rods can take 400bhp+.

Clearly however no-one can guarantee you you'll buy a car with no problems, they're 10+ year old cheap French cars that like to go wrong as much as any other car of its value and age. The mistake people make is buying a '6 for a grand or two then being annoyed when stuff goes wrong; you need to remember that you're really not paying much money at all for a reasonably high-performance car, and that means upkeep will clearly cost you more. Bit like running an Impreza Wink

As long as you budget for the odd replacement part here and there you'll be fine Thumbs up

Would just like to echo this! They are very solid capable engines right down to the double sprung valves Cool

You must have bought one that had been caned from cold all it's life.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 22:57
aphyx

Regular

Post #6
Nothing to really add as it has been mentioned above but to echo, as long as the previous owner has some sense of respect for their car it should last on. There is nothing particularly weak about the engine if its maintained.

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 23:28
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
http://youtu.be/eEi3PLeEARs

Judge the owner as much as the car, if they have a spreadsheet of works and service info, it will be well maintained Big grin , but these now go for the price of a full service on a WRX

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 09:41
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Buy a 6 again

/thread

Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 12:55
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Any older car is going to cost money to run. But these are so cheap now and for the price there is no better drive. And the parts are not particularly expensive compared to other enthusiast steeds. The 306 in general isn't especially "weak" - since buying my Rallye I'm surprised at the sheer numbers of all variants of the 306 on the road nearly 10 years after production ended.

Go on, get a decent one and you'll love it.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 14:29
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #10
thewho07 wrote:
Hi everyone.
I keep hearing about bottom ends going

Really? Quite rare for this to happen Unsure

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 17:36
thewho07

Regular

Post #11
ian7675 wrote:
thewho07 wrote:
Hi everyone.

I spoke to a mechanic who worked at Peugeot years ago, he said they had gti-6s with 5k on the clock back in getting bottom ends rebuilt. Thats the only thing thats putting me off, but as everyone else is saying, I must have just bought a shit gti-6.
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 17:51
ewan_bcfc

Regular

Post #12
I had the bottom end go in one of the three engines I've had in mine :O

Bought that engine off some dodgy ebayer and it came with no history though.

Doesn't seem to be that common by all accounts.
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 18:00
sixygti2

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
My bottom end always goes after a strong curry! Thumbs up

Still watching you...
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 18:08
ewan_bcfc

Regular

Post #14
ewan_bcfc wrote:
... one of the three engines I've had in mine...

Just remembered this was a pro-6 thread.

So the first engine in mine froze last winter, was sold with no antifreeze in it!

And the third engine is running spot on, no problems.

Great car, can't believe the prices they're going for today.

Thumbs up
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 18:14
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #15
thewho07 wrote:
ian7675 wrote:
thewho07 wrote:
Hi everyone.

I spoke to a mechanic who worked at Peugeot years ago, he said they had gti-6s with 5k on the clock back in getting bottom ends rebuilt. Thats the only thing thats putting me off, but as everyone else is saying, I must have just bought a shit gti-6.

Dealer mechanics Roll eyes

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 18:57
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Don't Wink

Pugzy...aka Mike Thumbs up

Ex-Platinum silver 306 GTi6 owner...now an Ex-Scarlet Red 406 3ltr V6 Coupe owner too Sad

Now driving a China Blue 106 1.5 Diesel..."The Money-Saving and Debt-Busting Machine" LOL
Posted 22nd Oct 2011 at 12:20
arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
owain wrote:

I loved mine so much I literally did not worry about cost of parts I just wanted her fixed..... Which is probably why my bank balance is only starting to look healthy now after more than a year without it. LOL Miss it like crazy now, still a little reluctant to part with my Focus because it handles so well. Good tip though Owain! Is pretty much comon sense but im personally glad you wrote it Wink

I guess If you are going down the SC route you really would want to change internals for peace of mind just incase it does break the 250BHP threshold?

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
2008 BMW ///M 320d
Posted 22nd Oct 2011 at 19:37