BrianM

Regular

Post #53
adam b wrote:
BrianM wrote:
Just purchased some gold membership! Smile

Brown nose Razz

Damn right, haha! LOL

I spent those 8hrs wisely with friends chosing very carefully what jeans out of Primark i need for scuffing about in. Hence i managed to peel my debit card out for the sum total of: £25 to buy 2 pairs of jeans. Then faffed about at a mate's house, then ate tea and watched several episodes of 2 and a half men to see what it's like with "the new charlie"...it's pish so far.

Is this ok? Sorry for the 8hr delay Razz

I do have one complaint...8kb for an avatar! An 8kb image is about the the diameter of one of my pubic hairs and yes, I do have photoshop and no, i can't seem to get anything down to 8kb.

'13 208 Gti Bianca White, '99 Bianca 306 Rallye, '92 309 Goodwood GTi 5dr, '92 Miami Blue 309 GTi 3dr.
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 21:40
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
BrianM wrote:
I do have one complaint...8kb for an avatar! An 8kb image is about the the diameter of one of my pubic hairs and yes, I do have photoshop and no, i can't seem to get anything down to 8kb.

Try it as a GIF rather than jpeg seeing as it only has a few colours.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 21:46
BrianM

Regular

Post #55
Thanks owain, I decided to change it for something else altogether and I will faff about with image sizes at a later date, when I have 95 hours to spare.

'13 208 Gti Bianca White, '99 Bianca 306 Rallye, '92 309 Goodwood GTi 5dr, '92 Miami Blue 309 GTi 3dr.
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 22:07
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
just fancied getting in on the action here briefly....

yes i agree the avatar size is a pain in the ass, had to do Gif too.

secondly, Brian i love your avatar... grammar nazi Laugh my ass off

and that brings me to my third point, Owain, ive seen alot of threads recently where you get abuse for having a go at illiterate fools and idiots, but im behind you. Thumbs up if people are going to use the internet they should atleast learn how to spell

supercharged China gti6 - Thu 16th Sep 1999 - sold
2010 megane rs250
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 22:14
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
m306 wrote:
and that brings me to my third point, Owain, ive seen alot of threads recently where you get abuse for having a go at illiterate fools and idiots, but im behind you. if people are going to use the internet they should atleast learn how to spell

And capitalise? Whistle

Yeah think I'm increasingly on my own on the whole "trying to show people the way" thing. I heard that's your job now...?

Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 22:17
BrianM

Regular

Post #58
m306 wrote:
secondly, Brian i love your avatar... grammar nazi Laugh my ass off

Well, it was hard to google something that was appropriate but humerous and with an 8kb budget!

Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 22:23
glenn_addo

Regular

Post #59
I think the FAQ section should be for members only (non members not able to view) as its a good resource and worth paying for. Like someone mentioned with pug306s bible is subscription only.

The search really needs to be sorted out too.

I think some solution needs to be found as without some of the regular members (who havent paid the membership) being able to post in certain sections means that some questions will go unanswered. Also ever since the forum changed not as many people have been selling parts or breaking cars on here so parts are getting harder to find.
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 23:05
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
The thing is, it's not that simple. Why do people find this site? Because they Google for stuff. Making any section not even readable for non-subscribers means Google can't index it. Therefore the articles can't be found by people, so new people never end up here.

One of the reasons this site is so high up in Google is because of the sheer wealth of information it has, so you have to be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot by locking too much of it away. Liken it to a really good shop, but with no window display. No-one's ever going to just go in without knowing what's going on.

I've never heard of the Pug306 Bible, which kinda proves the point. I'm not a member, so I don't know it exists. So I wouldn't bother signing up, because that site never comes up when I Google for stuff.

Certainly I think you should have to be a member to post in the For Sale or Wanted sections, I think that's a no-brainer. As for the others it's a bit more complicated - stop people posting in Tech forums, and they'll just post in General instead. A lot of people on here are basically too generous, and just reply anyway. In order for it to work, every last person needs to say "sorry, you have to pay up before we'll talk to you". Clearly said person is going to think we're all tight and just not bother.

Every way has its pros and cons, it's just a case of finding the right balance whereby people get value for what they pay for (which is not an unreasonable request) but the information keeps flowing and up-to-date. On one hand as this site gets busier, it costs more to run. On the other hand, once you start charging money people become your customers; they are now your business, they're paying for a service and if they don't get good value then they won't renew in a year's time.

This site is a business now, and like any business it'll go under if it doesn't offer a better service than customers could get elsewhere. Perhaps one of our biggest pluspoints over the years is that pug306.net *do* lock away any useful information they might have, leaving us free to pebbledash our banal bullshit all over the internet unhindered.

Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 23:17
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
owain wrote:
Liken it to a really good shop, but with no window display. No-one's ever going to just go in without knowing what's going on.

You've just described a massage parlour.... They seem to do good business. Tee hee

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 23:41
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
thugpuggin wrote:
You've just described a massage parlour.... They seem to do good business.

LOL True dat. If you want to perform those kind of acts on the new guys you fill yer boots mate, I'll stick to mocking their spelling Thumbs up

Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 23:45
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #63
Over on the Focus forum the mods move technical threads posted in general into the correct topic area meaning that you need to sign up to see the responses.

But then the full membership is only £8
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 10:52
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
But you can see the responses on here, just not then reply to them.

Nothing to see here
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 11:03
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #65
owain wrote:
m306 wrote:
and that brings me to my third point, Owain, ive seen alot of threads recently where you get abuse for having a go at illiterate fools and idiots, but im behind you. if people are going to use the internet they should atleast learn how to spell

And capitalise? Whistle

Yeah think I'm increasingly on my own on the whole "trying to show people the way" thing. I heard that's your job now...?

Laugh my ass off I used a capital on your name Thumbs up

I can take on the role of trainee c*nt patrol if you want? Whistle

supercharged China gti6 - Thu 16th Sep 1999 - sold
2010 megane rs250
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 12:36
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
m306 wrote:
I can take on the role of trainee c*nt patrol if you want? Whistle

DONE.

Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 12:57
rikky 🦔

Post #67
owain north recruitment agency llp

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 13:02
seans6

Senior User

Post #68
Any news on these changes then, whens it happening?
Posted 25th Oct 2011 at 10:41
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
Which changes?

Posted 25th Oct 2011 at 10:44
seans6

Senior User

Post #70
Just wondering what decision the boss man has made and what the changes are going to be with regards membership.
Posted 25th Oct 2011 at 10:48
barry.rs

Seasoned Pro

Post #71
adam b wrote:

I think thats the problem; imo the technical lounges should be locked and any technical questions placed in the general/off topic areas should be moved by admin.

That way the areas that old users who no longer own a 6/rallye can keep the banter but those that want to use the site for some sort of benefit pay a small price for it.
Posted 25th Oct 2011 at 10:54
brownboy

Seasoned Pro

Post #72
barry.rs wrote:
adam b wrote:

I think thats the problem; imo the technical lounges should be locked and any technical questions placed in the general/off topic areas should be moved by admin.

That way the areas that old users who no longer own a 6/rallye can keep the banter but those that want to use the site for some sort of benefit pay a small price for it.

admins are very rarely on,no a dig just observation , i think it would be good to restore the report button for all, i to am still waiting to see how it all pans out before buying membership, one thing that annoys me is the traders who sell tons of parts through this site still haven't bought any membership yet, maybe a temporary ban for these people on trading until they purchase membership would be good Dunno
Posted 25th Oct 2011 at 11:09
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #73
It all feels a bit arse-about-face to me - surely if you're looking to build an important technical resource then you should allow people to post in the technical forums for free and receive good advice and a bit of banter. If they then want to sell something, put up a Wanted post or join in the General chat or Offtopic, they need to pay.

People will always put technical posts in General chat if they can because they know they'll get an answer, whereas someone who likes the site isn't going to start posting Youtube clips in the Exhausts section.

These membership fees are only meant to be there to cover the cost of hosting, it's not a massive business we're all looking to promote and profit from. I wouldn't mind paying a tenner or so for the general banter sections as they're the fun ones to be part of, but I think an increasing number of people resent paying to *answer* peoples questions whilst certain traders contribute nothing and sit there making money out of selling stuff.

If I was a trader on here, I'd be p*ssing myself at how retarded that is.

Posted 25th Oct 2011 at 11:23
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #74
Rubberjohn for admin!!!!
Posted 25th Oct 2011 at 11:31
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #75
gilesy wrote:
Rubberjohn for admin!!!!

Ban

Posted 25th Oct 2011 at 11:43

Pages (5): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last