displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: gasket blown
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #1
my friend recently bought a cheap 106, and hes discovered mayo/ brown sludge in his rad. From what iv researched it seems as if his head gasket has blown outwards and oil is leaking into coolant. Is there any way he can fix this himself if he buys parts?

stevenage black gti 6, 198bhp
Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 22:18
danny555

Junior User

Post #2
If the engine is a "TU" then the headgasket is very easy to do. And yes the headgasket is gone.

1997 Black Phase 1 306 GTI 6

Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 22:21
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #3
danny555 wrote:
If the engine is a "TU" then the headgasket is very easy to do. And yes the headgasket is gone.

thanks for the response its a 1.1 tu as its petrol, what should he do?

Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 22:26
danny555

Junior User

Post #4
Well if he is good on working with cars then I would say do it yourself. I did a headgasket on a 1.4 tu and took me 4hours ish. To time the engine, there is a little hole in the bell housing in the gearbox under ther exhaust manifold on the front side, you can't miss it. You could fit like a 5mm long alan key or something like that. Turn the engine over on the bottom pully till the pin or whatever you use pops in the hole in the flyweel, then the engine is timed with the block and head, so pease of mind. Then its a case of exhaust off, cambelt housing out and mark the position with the cam with some tipex so you know where it should be when the head goes back on etc etc. Look the rest up but it is not a lot at all on them engines. Hope that helps mate.

But to be fair if the engine is not burning a lot of oil and not over heating and the fans cut in then I would leave it. it will be ok. But if he wants to sort it it will not cost much at all. A kit would be nothing more then 50 quid.

1997 Black Phase 1 306 GTI 6

Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 23:00
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #5
danny555 wrote:
Well if he is good on working with cars then I would say do it yourself. I did a headgasket on a 1.4 tu and took me 4hours ish. To time the engine, there is a little hole in the bell housing in the gearbox under ther exhaust manifold on the front side, you can't miss it. You could fit like a 5mm long alan key or something like that. Turn the engine over on the bottom pully till the pin or whatever you use pops in the hole in the flyweel, then the engine is timed with the block and head, so pease of mind. Then its a case of exhaust off, cambelt housing out and mark the position with the cam with some tipex so you know where it should be when the head goes back on etc etc. Look the rest up but it is not a lot at all on them engines. Hope that helps mate.

But to be fair if the engine is not burning a lot of oil and not over heating and the fans cut in then I would leave it. it will be ok. But if he wants to sort it it will not cost much at all. A kit would be nothing more then 50 quid.

Thanks for your advice, I will pass it on

Posted 11th Oct 2011 at 16:53