displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Think Ive killed my bottom end .........
docwra

Regular

Post #1
Was driving to work this morning, stopped at a petrol station, got back in car and noticed a knocking ....... had a better listen and Im 99% its the bottom end (Ive owned lots of 200SX's, I know what a bottom end failure sounds like) Sad

I bloody love the car (Ive got a 350Z, 400hp S13 and a convertible one, MR2 and various other stuff and would sell them all before the 6) and have spent a good few pence on new OE bushes all round, new OE shocks, cambelt, solid rear mounts, brakes all round ....... you get the picture Wink

Anyway, scrapping the car isnt an option, so whats the best way forward? I know a good mechanic who would be able to do the bottom end Id have thought, but I dont know if its engine out, crank regrind, oversize bearings and all that or just a 1 hour under the car job (I can guess though) Unsure

Or is putting another engine in a better option, mine has the cam advanced and pulled like a train, I would consider doing that again but would only want someone who knew what they were doing to advance the cam .......

Or as a crazy option, how much would an S/C build set me back? LOL

Any help appreciated, I cant face not having the 6 on the road No

Lots of Nissans, two 306 GTI-6's. They are catching up! Big grin
Posted 7th Oct 2011 at 10:53
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
How far was your cam advanced?

As above it's an engine out job, I think SC is the way to go as you'll have the engine out it seems like the perfect excuse Ninja

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 7th Oct 2011 at 11:02
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
It'll take you about an hour to get the sump off LOL

To do it properly it is indeed an engine out crank out job, where you may as well replace all the bearings, fingers crossed the crank is stilll straight, and the conrod is still round and within spec, you couild just whip the sump off in situ and check the crank as is just replacing the big ends but is it worth doing half a job?

As long as that is all fine then you wont need to take the head off, and you can have the standard inlet advanced no problem.

Costs - £100 odd for bearings (I used o.e J4R big ends as they are £25 a set for std size, the mains are about £60 for o.e) a tube of sealant and some threadlock.

Then some labour for checking and grinding if neccesary, obviously doing it yourself will save a hell of a lot of cash.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Oct 2011 at 11:11
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
welshpug! wrote:
and you can have the standard inlet advanced no problem.

How much by? I found after a recent belt change that mine was retarded by a degree or two Thumbs down After stuwee1983 re timed it correctly it felt so much better. So should be noticeable if it's advanced, just a bit scared of having it done though.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 7th Oct 2011 at 13:21
phil19gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
docwra wrote:

I bloody love the car (Ive got a 350Z, 400hp S13 and a convertible one, MR2 and various other stuff and would sell them all before the 6)

Seriously?

2006 Performance Blue Mondeo ST TDCI
1999 Black 306 Rallye
1991 Lazer Green 205 1.9 GTi
2003 Blue Focus RS
1999 White 306 Rallye
1992 Red 205 1.9 GTi
1988 Red 205 1.6 GTi
Posted 7th Oct 2011 at 13:26
mike rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
phil19gti wrote:
docwra wrote:

I bloody love the car (Ive got a 350Z, 400hp S13 and a convertible one, MR2 and various other stuff and would sell them all before the 6)

Seriously?

you got any pictures of these?
Posted 7th Oct 2011 at 21:12
docwra

Regular

Post #7
welshpug! wrote:
It'll take you about an hour to get the sump off LOL

To do it properly it is indeed an engine out crank out job, where you may as well replace all the bearings, fingers crossed the crank is stilll straight, and the conrod is still round and within spec, you couild just whip the sump off in situ and check the crank as is just replacing the big ends but is it worth doing half a job?

Nice one, its still a hit and hope on the crank though, or is it worth getting it measured (and where can I find the measurements?) Ninja
Basically Im asking how likely it is that the crank will need grinding (or replacing), is it worth just doing the shells first time round and hoping? Dunno

Sounds like a rebuild (large or small) is probably a better bet than a replacement engine with unknown history anyway, the mechanic Id have do it is ex-Pug and a drag racer so has rebuilt a few bottom ends in his time, and Im in no major hurry. Serious Q though, can someone point me in the direction of costs for a S/C build, the more I think about it the more sense it makes Big grin

Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 15:15
docwra

Regular

Post #8
phil19gti wrote:
docwra wrote:

Seriously?

Seriously. Thumbs up

Its more fun than most of them, more practical, more forgiving and much more suprising for your average M3 driver to find that he cant shake off. I keep mine debadged and dirty with a broken numberplate and a smashed foglight, and no-one gives it a second glance but in real life its probably quicker than the rest of the fleet 95% of the time, if not more (100% in the rain Big grin)

Bear in mind everything has been replaced with brand new OE, Ive got the cam advanced, I keep the geometry checked and with good tyres and the solid beam mounts its a joy to drive, particularly round corners.

As for pics of the others, oh, if you insist - I hate picture whoring, I really do Wink

Thumbs up

Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 15:32
docwra

Regular

Post #9
mattgti6phase2 wrote:
welshpug! wrote:
and you can have the standard inlet advanced no problem.

How much by? I found after a recent belt change that mine was retarded by a degree or two Thumbs down After stuwee1983 re timed it correctly it felt so much better. So should be noticeable if it's advanced, just a bit scared of having it done though.

The most scientific Ive found is "a bit" Unsure

Carl did mine for me the second time (he had put it back to stanbdard position after a cambelt change), its not quite as advanced as it weas the first time but still makes a noticable difference Thumbs up

Sorry for muctilple replies, but hey, multiple questions ........ Wink

Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 15:34
mike rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
docwra wrote:
phil19gti wrote:
docwra wrote:

Seriously?

Seriously. Thumbs up

Its more fun than most of them, more practical, more forgiving and much more suprising for your average M3 driver to find that he cant shake off. I keep mine debadged and dirty with a broken numberplate and a smashed foglight, and no-one gives it a second glance but in real life its probably quicker than the rest of the fleet 95% of the time, if not more (100% in the rain Big grin)

Bear in mind everything has been replaced with brand new OE, Ive got the cam advanced, I keep the geometry checked and with good tyres and the solid beam mounts its a joy to drive, particularly round corners.

As for pics of the others, oh, if you insist - I hate picture whoring, I really do Wink

Thumbs up

very smart nissan 350 and liking the dish wheels Thumbs up , you got any pics of the engine upgrades?
Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 20:02
docwra

Regular

Post #11
mike rallye wrote:
very smart nissan 350 and liking the dish wheels Thumbs up , you got any pics of the engine upgrades?

TBH, the Zed isnt a car to modify really, certainly not in the engine, too much $$$ for too little horses. The other two Nissans dont actually have anything standard left on them though Big grin

Anyway, back to my 6 - should I buy a new engine or rebuild the one thats on it? Dunno

Posted 11th Oct 2011 at 13:18
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I did mine earlier this year. Replaced the head gasket, 140 miles later, it spun a bearing so it was a complete rebuild!

Pulls like a train now and runs much better than previously!

Good luck

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 11th Oct 2011 at 15:41
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Best of luck with the rebuild mate, I assume you are going to go for it Wink

In regards to the supercharger conversion, I will PM you with the costs involved, and if you want to come out for a spin in mine, cambridge isnt too far from me Smile

Edit: I also love your threads of bigging up the gti6, means a lot coming from a Jap fanboy and its good entertainment sending them over to my mate with a 200sx Laugh

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 12th Oct 2011 at 14:24
docwra

Regular

Post #14
Yeah, gonna go with the rebuild I think, just cant decide whether to try whipping the shells out and replacing or doing the whole thing ........ any advice appreciated Thumbs up

As for the comments, I actually believe the 6 is one of the best cars ever - Im lucky in that Ive driven lots of stuff from old classics through to the GTR and a 700hp 200SX, very, very few Ive driven are as rewarding as the 6. Take that with 4 seats, a decent boot, cheap part prices and generally good Wink reliability and I dont understand why more people dont own them Dunno

Looking forward to a PM too, tempted by a charger but I really dont need any more stupid cars Whistle

Posted 13th Oct 2011 at 11:56