displaying posts 26 to 50 of 50

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: My Wheels
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
16's.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 13:32
techdw

Senior User

Post #27
As Owain said 16's, If the beam has gone its the end as I just dont have the funds for repairs at the moment, plus I have a SC on order which will have to be Sold.
Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 13:59
davewagon

Senior User

Post #28
It'll probably last a fair while longer as it is, not a desperate fix I'd have thought?

Jord on here reguarly has refurbed beams ready to sell or put on a car.

Team: Moonstone GTI-6
Team: Working air-con™

ian7675 wrote:
Remember....a 6 isn't just a car, it's a part time job Thumbs up
Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 14:07
techdw

Senior User

Post #29
Yeah already spoke to Jord. I just blasted a grand at wheels and brakes and now this. I have to get welding down under the car as well as who ever had the car before me jacked it at the wrong point and it started to rust! never ends!!
Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 14:15
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #30
Wait until you start fitting the SC and realise all the small things that you didn't realise start adding up. You can easily spend hundreds on clips and gaskets you didn't give a thought about.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 14:28
    techdw

Senior User

Post #31
    dangti6 wrote:
    Wait until you start fitting the SC and realise all the small things that you didn't realise start adding up. You can easily spend hundreds on clips and gaskets you didn't give a thought about.

Bloody hell. Didnt think about that!!!
    Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 14:40
    mcfc1987

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
    techdw wrote:
    As Owain said 16's, If the beam has gone its the end as I just dont have the funds for repairs at the moment, plus I have a SC on order which will have to be Sold.

if your throwing the towel in over a couple of hundred on a rear beam, supercharging probably isn't for you!

Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 14:55
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #33
    mcfc1987 wrote:
    techdw wrote:

if your throwing the towel in over a couple of hundred on a rear beam, supercharging probably isn't for you!

Thumbs up

Allow a few hundred in your budget for the smaller things you've overlooked.

• Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 15:01
    techdw

Senior User

Post #34
    Its not just a couple of hundread mate. Speaking to Jord a Beam is £350 pLus £120+ for fitting and then driving 500 Miles round trip. Its more than a couple of hundred.

Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 15:01
    mcfc1987

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
    Jord isn't the only option though

Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 15:04
    techdw

Senior User

Post #36
    Its going to cost more then £200 mate, Labour itself will be around £120 + to whoever just takes the beam off, let alone build another one.
    Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 15:07
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #37
    These things are getting on now. You surely must have read the wanted threads and general talk of beams changing hands left right and centre. These cars are getting on now. If your beam is the original, it's likely to be requiring a rebuild if you are going to get the handling out of it to go with the power.

It isn't just a case of a few K for a SC kit and fitting over an afternoon.

Sorting out you own route of intercooler pipework and getting someone in to weld stainless will probably make your eyes water. It is a constant case of £50 here, £50 there.

Who is fitting your kit actually come to think of it. A beam is simple to fit. If you are concidering paying for that to be fitted, what are you doing about fitting your SC kit?

Look at Buzz. He has spent some serious money. I doubt half of it was planned. You take something off and realise anothr thing needs replacing.

It just might not be for you.

Should have bought mcf's 6.

• Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 15:07
    mcfc1987

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
    these cars are pretty simple, everything is do-able with a bit of help and i'm sure someone on here is local enough to give you a hand for a few beer tokens if you get stuck. get yourslef a rebuild kit and follow the rebuild guide in FAQ

or get yourself a rear beam of one of the broken sixes and get the rebuild kit and do it in your garage whilst still using the car.

the ammount of times my 2 6's and now the rallye have left me wanting to throw in the towel is unreal. chin up and find the cheapest way possible to do it

Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 15:26
    techdw

Senior User

Post #39
    Cheers Dude. If I didnt order a SC I would have snapped your Old SC 6 up in no time.
    Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 16:12
    buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
    So true, if I'd of realised what I was going to put into it I probably wouldn't of started it, but once your knee deep, it's too late to turn around.
    If you can't do the beam your f*cked for the charger.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
    Moonstone phase 7 gti6
    My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
    Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 14:11
    techdw

Senior User

Post #41
    Im going to keep the rallye standard now and knock the super charger on the head so the kit may be in the for sale section soon! Full Low boost Kit and high Boost Intercooler and Pipework.
    Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 14:21
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #42
    LOL

• Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 14:23
    techdw

Senior User

Post #43
    And whys that funny Dan
    Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 14:23
    beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
    techdw wrote:
    Cheers Dude. If I didnt order a SC I would have snapped your Old SC 6 up in no time.

Or you could rob a HDI beam, they are not thrashed as much as 6 beams and fair better than 6 beams as well as the fact that the torsion bars are 1mm thicker.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
    Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 15:29
    marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
    beez_neez_gt wrote:
    as well as the fact that the torsion bars are 1mm thicker.

Are you sure about the George? Wink

How to do a clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
    Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 15:37
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #46
    techdw wrote:
    And whys that funny Dan

Not overly funny, and I apologise if I offended, but I think if we are honest you would be the first to admit that you didn't do your sums before you jumped in and bought the kit.

I was only reading earlier about the costs for a charger and fitting kit supplied for full boost. Then on top you have the price of the internals. If the whole lot was quoted as one, people would run a mile. As Andy says, when you have spent so much, you either give up or carry on because it's too late.

Everything you do on a car has extra costs that need to be concidered. A second hand driveshaft is cheaper for example than the new seals and oil you need to replace in the process of changing.

I have spent more than I intended to on my 205, but I knew it wasn't going to be a few hundred quid and away we go. Ive spent hundreds on clips, fluids and other sundries. Half of them weren't strictly needed, but I changed them anyway to save time/money in the future. I chose to go for genuine parts over GSF also, but buy cheap, buy twice.

I would love Andy to come back with a figure of what he paid to get his car back on the road. He is an odd one though. He just bought stuff for the sake of it LOL

No matter how much people think they know they need to buy to do something like SC a 6, there should always be a contingency for things.

A beam shouldn't have put you off. You were obviously serious about what you wanted and went on to order the kit which is more than the dreamers do, so seriously keep the kit and charger and don't throw the towel in just yet Thumbs up

Get christmas and the beam out the way and sorted, then when the better weather comes back in spring and you have the cash to finish it, go mad and don't look back Cool

• Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 15:55
    beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
    marksorrento205 wrote:
    beez_neez_gt wrote:
    as well as the fact that the torsion bars are 1mm thicker.

Are you sure about the George? Wink

Not 100%, only from word of mouth, although it could of been the Xsara HDI tube Unsure. In my experience, diesel beam tubes fair better, so are less likely to be oval when replacing the bearings. This beam tube could be oval.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
    Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 16:03
    marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
    Im sure the hatch shares the same 20mm as the gti6 but some may have 19.3mm fitted. The estate hdi on the other hand, has either 20mm ( which are the same part no as the hatchback ) or 21mm fitted Smile

How to do a clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
    Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 16:07
    techdw

Senior User

Post #49
    Its cool mate you didnt offend. When you have people say ot you why are you spending on a old car thats 11 years old, and things keep mounting up, I keep thinking for f*ck sake.. And I'll be honest and agree with you yeah i didnt think about the extras that would be needed. My fault 100% there.

Ill see how it goes Thumbs up

dangti6 wrote:
    techdw wrote:
    And whys that funny Dan

Not overly funny, and I apologise if I offended, but I think if we are honest you would be the first to admit that you didn't do your sums before you jumped in and bought the kit.

I was only reading earlier about the costs for a charger and fitting kit supplied for full boost. Then on top you have the price of the internals. If the whole lot was quoted as one, people would run a mile. As Andy says, when you have spent so much, you either give up or carry on because it's too late.

Everything you do on a car has extra costs that need to be concidered. A second hand driveshaft is cheaper for example than the new seals and oil you need to replace in the process of changing.

I have spent more than I intended to on my 205, but I knew it wasn't going to be a few hundred quid and away we go. Ive spent hundreds on clips, fluids and other sundries. Half of them weren't strictly needed, but I changed them anyway to save time/money in the future. I chose to go for genuine parts over GSF also, but buy cheap, buy twice.

I would love Andy to come back with a figure of what he paid to get his car back on the road. He is an odd one though. He just bought stuff for the sake of it LOL

No matter how much people think they know they need to buy to do something like SC a 6, there should always be a contingency for things.

A beam shouldn't have put you off. You were obviously serious about what you wanted and went on to order the kit which is more than the dreamers do, so seriously keep the kit and charger and don't throw the towel in just yet Thumbs up

Get christmas and the beam out the way and sorted, then when the better weather comes back in spring and you have the cash to finish it, go mad and don't look back Cool
    Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 16:14
    beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
    Thanks Mark, thats cleared that up for me, i could do with some 21mm at the min, but if my 205 is ever to be finished the 6 will have to wait. Smile

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 16:46

Pages (2): 1 [2]