displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: need advice, temperature gauge
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #1
when I'm in traffic the temperature gauge moves to the red, but doesn't go in the red. At this point the fan comes on, should the fan be coming on sooner? when moving the temperature gauge is fine. Its had a new thermostat this year so not sure if thats the problem, maybe a sensor or something else? any ideas please

gti 6 1998 phase 2

stevenage black gti 6, 198bhp
Posted 3rd Oct 2011 at 14:53
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Check coolant levels and coolant strength, mine goes to about 70-80 when driving but can get up to over 100 in traffic on a hot day, fans should keep it below 110.

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 3rd Oct 2011 at 18:43
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #3
monkeyman wrote:
Check coolant levels and coolant strength, mine goes to about 70-80 when driving but can get up to over 100 in traffic on a hot day, fans should keep it below 110.

Cheer monkeyman,
how would I check the coolant strength, it might be obvious to most but im a newbie so bare with me. I bought some fan sensors today for £9.99

Posted 3rd Oct 2011 at 18:47
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Normally it shouldn't go above 97. That's when the slew speed fans kick in. 110 is when the fans cut in a double speed. So... Check the fans. Unplug the brown sensor on your thermostat, the fans should run slow for a few seconds then switch to max. If they don't you either have a dodgy sensor or fan unit.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 3rd Oct 2011 at 19:09
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #5
I think I know what the problem is, Its missing a fan blade on nearside, both motors seen to be working. Does anyone know what fan blade I should buy as theres some on ebay or will most of the seven blades fit the gti 6. Also will I need to glue it on or screw it on?

Posted 4th Oct 2011 at 10:58
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Pass... But a whole fan unit only goes for £25 normally. Have a look at parts for sale or post in the wanted section.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 4th Oct 2011 at 12:36
Demograffix.com

Regular

Post #7
aaron6 wrote:
Pass... But a whole fan unit only goes for £25 normally. Have a look at parts for sale or post in the wanted section.

Cheers Aaron, I managed to order a fan blade on eBay today for £13.50 hopefully it sorts out the problem

Posted 4th Oct 2011 at 15:29