displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Court fine enforcement
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this?

My brother in law just got a letter from the courts about a fine he's dodged since September 2009. He was given a fine for not wearing his seatbelt when he was reversing his car out of a side street.

At the time it seems he was given a £100 fixed penalty notice with no points. Turns out he didn't agree with the fine and instead of fighting it he just ignored it, now if he doesn't pay by Thursday there'll be a warrant put out for fine enforcement.

My question is... if he'd fought it at the time he'd probably have won, by law you don't need to wear a seatbelt when reversing. Now though it's past the FPN period and is a Court enforced fine. Can he still contest it or does he have to now pay the £100 and take it as a lesson learned?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 2nd Oct 2011 at 19:20
adiesouthwell

Post #2
If he had contested it at the time he would have probably won it, if hes actually ignored it for over 12 months I.e - made no correspondence with the courts, he will not be able to appeal it.
The courts will have processed it in his absence so he will just owe them money, resulting in there being nothing to challenge.

The fine will probably have a stack of charges on it by now, the courts tend to charge for every letter sent, phonecall made and other administration costs so he may find when he gets there to sort it out its gone up a bit!

£100 is absolutely ridiculous for a seatbelt offence, its generally £30. Driving without a seatbelt on is a NONE endorsable offence as far as homeoffice.co.uk states.

Did he fine you twice by any chance? Once for the seatbelt and one for reversing onto a main road (which is illegal)?

OMP Strut Brace
3" Stainless scorpian
Remap
Superchipped
R.A.M Air Kit
Running 170Bhp @ 6500rpm with cert Smile
www.gti6forum.co.uk
Posted 2nd Oct 2011 at 20:37
adiesouthwell

Post #3
Sorry i meant did he fine your brother in law twice.

OMP Strut Brace
3" Stainless scorpian
Remap
Superchipped
R.A.M Air Kit
www.gti6forum.co.uk
Posted 2nd Oct 2011 at 20:39
cappy01

Regular

Post #4
i would say hell have to pay it, i know for points time limit is 3 months i reckon itl be the same for fines
Posted 2nd Oct 2011 at 20:50
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I'd say he's been a bit of a tit and should have not ignored it in the first place. As said above he'd most likely have gotten off with it had he'd not been so stupid. Sorry if that offendsSad

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 3rd Oct 2011 at 06:33
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
nah they guy's a numpty anyway. His mum just phoned and paid today, apparently there was a warrant out for another fine too so she's paid £230 to bail him out, poor woman.

He's a tard anyway, as said he'd probably have won if he contested it but he's the kind of arrogant arsehole that gets a fine, throws it in the bin and ignores it, he'a been visited at his work before for unpaid fines Roll eyes

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 3rd Oct 2011 at 12:30
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
cwspellowe wrote:
nah they guy's a numpty anyway. His mum just phoned and paid today, apparently there was a warrant out for another fine too so she's paid £230 to bail him out, poor woman.

He's a tard anyway, as said he'd probably have won if he contested it but he's the kind of arrogant arsehole that gets a fine, throws it in the bin and ignores it, he'a been visited at his work before for unpaid fines Roll eyes

Laugh my ass off

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 3rd Oct 2011 at 18:43
adiesouthwell

Post #8
Got off lightly, sounds like the courts didn't whack him with charges!

OMP Strut Brace
3" Stainless scorpian
Remap
Superchipped
R.A.M Air Kit
www.gti6forum.co.uk
Posted 3rd Oct 2011 at 18:55
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
They might well have done though if £100 seems a bit much for a seatbelt fine Dunno

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 3rd Oct 2011 at 19:06