displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: balancing understeer/oversteer
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #1
Since fitting new front shocks and springs the car feels a bit understeery. Doing the rears is next on the list but i'm just trying to get my head around suspension tuning.

Amongst other things one method to reduce understeer is to fit stiffer rear shocks/antiroll bar/etc OR soften the front. Does this reduce understeer because rear grip is decreased?

I'm just thinking if your old suspension is quite soft and gives a lot of body roll - renewing the front gives more understeer, to balance this you renew the rear. How much grip have you actually gained? LOL

Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 17:45
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Its important to get the balance right between front and rear. Check your tyre pressures as well as this can have a smaller impact.

A harder front and rear setup should balance things out, the advantage is less wallowing as you brake and corner, you should get overall more stable cornering from it.

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 19:44