displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: HID's
judge dead

Regular

Post #1
ok so i seen feb next year there illegal for aftermarket ones but i couldnt really understand it do they mean all after market ones or is it legal if you fit them to aftermarket headlamp with the glass orb in them? projector lights i think there called?
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 20:18
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
They will be legal if they have self-levellers and washer jets.

quote:

Dazzle can also be caused if the lamps are dirty or aimed too high due to, for example, carrying
rear seat passengers and/or heavy items in the boot. Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore
required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which
may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems.

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been
added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing,
inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID
lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are
widely sold and fitted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers
that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied
in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT
test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp
cleaning and self-levelling systems. Some high specification estate cars are fitted with a selflevelling suspension system and this would be considered as adequate for the purpose.

It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that
have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system

Taken from here.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 20:36
judge dead

Regular

Post #3
so there saying if you fit HID's to a cheap ass car you gotta spend $$ on self leveling but if ure driving about in a done up to the max car its ok just need washers lol how would you evan go about geting self leveling headlamp i mean f spending like a grand just so ure suspension levels ure lights lol.
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 20:39
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Are those words?!

I think if you buy a whole HID leadlamp unit, the self-levelling will be within that so all you need is washer jets.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 20:47
judge dead

Regular

Post #5
cool well ill look into it and my bad spelling is due to 10years gaming on the internet lol im trying to fix it Smile
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 20:48
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Remove your lights and give the glass and the mirrors a good clean and polish, you would be amazed how much of a difference it makes. Yes

And if you currently have some Phase 2 lights on your car, Bin them and get some phase 3 ones.

HID's are an unnecessary addition to your vehicle IMO.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 17:58
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
...and it is not a new thing about aftermarket HIDs. It has never been legal to fit them without headlight washers and self-levelling.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 29th Sep 2011 at 18:11
judge dead

Regular

Post #8
yeah i did read that aswell its already basicly ilegal but i dont know if there going to crack down on it next year like they did with driving while on mobile phone
Posted 1st Oct 2011 at 14:56
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Depends whether or not they make it enforceable for the Traffic Police or if it needs VOSA testing. Plenty of things are illegally fitted to cars these days and just swapped back for the MOT, ie decats. I've never felt the need for retrofitting HID's though, they don't work properly and are not type approved, end of story.

Don't want to be the inconsiderate bas**rd giving passers by arc eye

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 3rd Oct 2011 at 21:46