displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: new member
davkin09

Post #1
Hey what's up guys new to this site just saying hello.

Had my Gti6 for more than a few months now, love it! Traded it in from a 1.8 16V 306 meridian in the same colour (diablo red). My mates said I was mad for practically buying the same car but I dont care.

Had to change the radiator and some pipes but a part from that its been running ok and hasn't made me regret buying the car. There's a leak in the air con and there are some niggling faults to be rectified. I guess i'll do those when i get round to them.

The only bones i make with the car is the power in the low rev band. Are there any practical solutions to this problem or do i have to live with it. I wanted to fit my K&N apolo cold air intake from my previous car would that help? I dont want to end up ruining the high rev band cos thats fantastic.

So say hello, let me know what you think and ask loads of questions see if we can get a decent thread going.
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 20:06
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
davkin09 wrote:
The only bones i make with the car is the power in the low rev band.

What problems would you be referring to exactly? most of these cars pull great from relatively low revs, they have max tourque at 5500rpm iirc, which isnt that high. if its noticeably slow, then chances are you have a problem.

Welcome to the club though anyway mate, and tell your mates to do one! My friends are all 306 haters too, rocking around in VW's. They cant understand why i like peugeot so much.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 20:16
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Welcome!

Power wise i've found them to be a bit asthmatic before 4k rpm. Enclosed induction kits help a little with low down torque, as does advancing the cam timing slightly, but the latter is pretty high risk, even 1 or 2 degrees too much and it's bye bye valves.

Decats lose torque on the whole so not very useful, as do large bore exhausts. PTFE inlet manifold gaskets seem to make a slight difference, the theory being that they reduce heat transfer to the inlet manifold and reduce inlet air temperature. And remaps on a pretty standard engine are a waste of money. The engine's set up classically very well. Full service should have it running sweet.

There's not much else that's tried and tested without spending big money - throttle bodies, superchargers etc. Just change down a gear, that's what they're there for Wink

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 20:26
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
cwspellowe wrote:
Just change down a gear, that's what they're there for

LOL that's certainly one way of solving the issue i spose, these things are not supercars, they are just fairly quick. That said my one still surprises me sometimes!

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 20:36
pete26

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
welcome dude Is that rainham essex or rainham kent?

Ph2 Black GTI6
Ph3 China GTI6
206 xsi manstone daily runner (GAY)
Ph1 Cherry Red GTI6
307 HDi 110

Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 20:37
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Hopefully the local one... Welcome to the club. And if you are from Kent... Come to a meet, il be posting one up tomorrow night. Be good to meet you fella. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 21:02
davkin09

Post #7
I'm from rainham essex actually but that doesn't stop me from coming down one night if I fancy a long drive, keep in touch.
I don't think there's a problem with the pulling power like cwspellowe stated its just a asthmatic at low revs till it gets to 4000rpm.
Other problems I believe are a loose engine top mount which creeks every time I go over a bump too fast. And I'm not too sure about this one but I get clutch judder when I release it too harshly at low speed.
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 22:33
davkin09

Post #8
I will try putting on my apollo closed induction kit and see if i can notice any improvement in low down response otherwise i might stick a panel filter on.
About the inlet manifold gasket is there a type you can reccommend and where to buy.
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 22:46
davewagon

Senior User

Post #9
The best type is a PTFE gasket made by a fellow forum member 'phillipm'.

There is a group buy going on in the parts wanted or [arts fpr sale section , but nothing has come of it recently, he's fairly busy with other stuff!

(come to think of it, where are the rest of these strut braces??)

Team: Moonstone GTI-6
Team: Working air-con™

ian7675 wrote:
Remember....a 6 isn't just a car, it's a part time job Thumbs up
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 22:52
davkin09

Post #10
Don't supose you know what fuel pressure the regulator vavle is set at on a standard gti 6. I got this replacement 4.0 bar prv to put on my previous pug but the ecu did not accept it; it idled irratically.

Wondered if i could put it on my gti 6 and if it would increase the throttle response along with the addition of a apollo closed induction kit.
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 23:16
Lloyd6

Post #11
welcome and have fun on here

Nice boy, Loves dropping the box!
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 23:48
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Don't fit the FPR. Way overkill and as said the fuelling is set up very nicely as stock. Whacking on a higher bar FPR will just result in overfuelling.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 23:49
davkin09

Post #13
Loud and clear! How do i know if the FPR isn't working corectly? For example any jerkiness on the throttle?
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 23:54
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Lots of hesitation and misfiring Yes

Jerkiness on the throttle is more likely to be engine mounts and/or throttle position sensor. Also wouldn't rev at top end as the fuel pressure would be too low.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 00:28
7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
welcome to the mad house Thumbs up

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
Team rallye,built for track
----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
Secret Team Astor...
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 00:51
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
We'll keep in touch. If your top mount is moving it may well have a cracked cradle which will need welding. Not a major job though. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 10:46
davkin09

Post #17
Wanted to add to this post, for anyone who is internested.

'I don't think there's a problem with the pulling power like cwspellowe stated its just a asthmatic at low revs till it gets to 4000rpm.'

'I will try putting on my apollo closed induction kit and see if i can notice any improvement in low down response otherwise i might stick a panel filter on.'

I have now fitted my K&N apollo closed air filter.

For the time being i have left off the cold air feed becasue it hangs down underneath the car when using the original inlet pipe, I will have to fit a new inlet pipe to raise the height of the filter so i can fit a cold air feed.

Reviewing the filter, I can feel more suction from the filter and it feels like it pulls slightly quicker from 3000rpm instead of 4000rpm which is an improvement in my book. But I can't help but think i've lost a little power in the higher rev band.

Is fitting a cold air feed going to help in maintaining max power?

Or is it because the filter i am using could be smaller than the original panel filter restricting the amount of air flow?

Have I, perhaps, increased the speed the air flows but in turn decreased the amount of air that flows?

If someone could thow in some technically correct words there that'd be great!
Posted 17th Oct 2011 at 00:42
JoeGTI-6

Regular

Post #18
It's the age old argument isn't it. If I fit a induction kit or filter will it increase throttle response and bhp and torque? To be honest in my opinion it really can be hit and miss and in the majority of case it's trying to find a balance.

It's all about volumetric efficiency I.e how much air can pass through a cylinder in a given cycle.

By using a induction kit with a cold air feed you in theory have increased the volume in the inlet side so a throaty sound and slight increase in torque should be found.

If you on the other hand throw a cone filter on the throttle body you have decreased the inlet side and you have a raspy sound which could increase power at higher RPM where you want the air in and out of the cylinder quickly.

The only true way to find out effects is rolling road tests. Before/after/using different kits etc.

I think that with the GTI-6 engine in standard form peugeot have tuned the engine to be at an excellent base at all required. Look at the exhaust manifold for example. They wouldn't manufacture an engine for us then to fit a cone filter and release an extra 15 horses Smile

I can see what your saying with throttle response. Iv just bought mine and it has a viper induction kit connected to the standard air feed in the grille and a de cat with 2.5" stainless exhaust with centre box and rear silencer.

It's too load and I want the CAT back for mr MOT and because I think the back pressure would assist in torque at low revs.

I hope you guys will read this and either agree or politely disagree and explain why Smile

The gain you might have achieved might by pyscological - a nice induction kit sound makes you feel like your going faster! Ohhh and has any one bought one of the throttle body's on eBay that's been polished and bored out slighty? Look quite nice. I'll try post the link.
Posted 17th Oct 2011 at 01:09
JoeGTI-6

Regular

Post #19
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180728260867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_663wt_922

When you talk about increasing the speed the air flows but reducing the amount that flows...

I think... It's the same thing. If you increase the speed of air passing at a given time then you increase the volume. I'ts how MAF mass air flow sensors work. Using a hot wire it outputs a current. When you pass air over it, it cools down. Reducing temperature and increasing output voltage (current)
Posted 17th Oct 2011 at 01:21
davkin09

Post #20
I'm not a physics man but say the size of the filters were the same, the same pipes etc. The only thing that was different was the restrictivity of the filter itself. The air would flow past filter A faster than filter B but the volume of air in the pipes would remain the same but more air would be transported in the same time frame in the case of filter A. That's why I mentioned the speed of the air flow and the amount of air.

Sooo... what I said I might have done by fitting the induction kit is increase the air flow rate but decrease the volume of air in the pipes by fitting a smaller filter.

Not sure I've made a point but it was fun writing it. Now I'm going to bed.
Posted 17th Oct 2011 at 02:20
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Panel filter FTW IMO! That's the best route for the air and to be kept cold! My box has been made airtight by myself with a few little tricks Wink Nearly sucks your bloody hand off trust me! As for cats they don't loose torque if your decat system is built correctly Thumbs up

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 17th Oct 2011 at 07:54
arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
cwspellowe wrote:
Welcome!PTFE inlet manifold gaskets seem to make a slight difference, the theory being that they reduce heat transfer to the inlet manifold and reduce inlet air temperature.

Hmm You learn something new every day LOL One thing I will be doing to the '6 when it comes along.

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
2008 BMW ///M 320d
Posted 18th Oct 2011 at 20:25