displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: Engine Mounts
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #1
Hello all,

My engine has quite alot of slop in it and i get crunching somtimes when changing gear after giving it some beans. I have been loooking at getting a Group N gearbox and lower mount (top mount is chocked) but was wondering how much difference it would make fitting new genuine mounts as im worried about getting the increased vibration with the group n ones.

Can anyone comment on the the difference of fitting new genunine mounts? will they make much difference?

Cheers, Lewis Wink
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 20:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Personally if it's a road car I'd fit standard ones, the fact it's currently a problem goes to show how perished they currently are.

Group N mounts are not for roads, you'll drive yourself barmy for no benefit Yes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 20:07
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
what owain said Yes

and by standard that would be going to peugeot and buying them as they'll be to the correct spec, unlike most motorfactor ones which would be bog standard at the least, sport and TD pugs have stiffer bushes usually

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 20:10
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
owain wrote:
Personally if it's a road car I'd fit standard ones, the fact it's currently a problem goes to show how perished they currently are.

Group N mounts are not for roads, you'll drive yourself barmy for no benefit Yes

Agreed, make for lovely tightness in the gear change and a nice snap on/off feeling with the throttle but f*ck me it's annoying! Have to empty ALL the compartments in the car if i want a relatively quiet drive, even then it rattles like a b*tch at idle.

Doesn't help having removed the dash a while ago and probably forgot to put a load of screws back Doh

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 20:51
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #5
Alright cheers guys looks like ill be off to peugeot then Smile

Does the git6 use the same mounts as the xsi? would the gti6 mounts be an upgrade for me?
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 21:30
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Ive just fitted a baker Group N one....... Harsh is one of the words i use to describe it now. Got some trackdays coming up so hopefully it'll pay dividends then, if not, im off down to pug to get an OE one.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 21:04
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #7
matt evans wrote:
Ive just fitted a baker Group N one....... Harsh is one of the words i use to describe it now. Got some trackdays coming up so hopefully it'll pay dividends then, if not, im off down to pug to get an OE one.

thats good to know! because i doubt i ever be taking my car on the track so it wont be worth it..
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 22:12
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Matt, how did you find the Solid bottom mount on the 6? Wondering if you ever became use to it?

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 17:18
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
had one fitted for a while, idle noise is much louder, especially with aircon on, 1200 rpm seems to make something in the cabin vibrate much more. Also at higher speeds the noise from the exhaust is more noticeable, but for general driving its not too bad.

On the plus gearchange is great, and the car feels more stable coming on/off power.

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 19:04
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I have BBMs on the Derv and well i shall say no more but obviously wondered if it would be ok on the XU10, i have no aircon and engine seems fairly smooth. May go for them then if the difference is really noticable!

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 23:26
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #11
It may be worth checking the chassis bracket that the top mount screws into if you are experiencing crunching noises...
Chassis repair and DIY repair kits

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 19th Dec 2011 at 10:40
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Im going to have a look after Xmas when i dont need to rely on the car because if it crumbles in my hand ill be f*cked! Its not so much crumbling noise and to be honest i think the movement is coming from the bottom mount!

owain wrote:
Posted 19th Dec 2011 at 11:55
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
ally mount ftw ;0)

Posted 19th Dec 2011 at 12:15
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Foook that my friend.

owain wrote:
Posted 19th Dec 2011 at 13:05
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
atterz wrote:
Matt, how did you find the Solid bottom mount on the 6? Wondering if you ever became use to it?

Honestly? Hated it. It spoilt the entire car for me. Ive since removed it and will be replacing it with a slightly modified Original Pug bush, which will be rotated slightly in the housing (or should i say fitted at a different angle) and the voids filled with black PU sealant - Old vauxhall trick.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 19th Dec 2011 at 14:29